Daiwa Lexa Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Post Reply
NCD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by NCD » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Hoping someone can help me out as I’m new to Daiwa reels but am interested in the Lexa 300 size. Can anyone explain to me the difference between an HS and an HD? Also, what if I want a 300HD but don’t want a power handle? Thanks in advance.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by Kurt L » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm

I have the original grey 300HSL and upgraded the gears from the original brass to the Stainless Steel HD gears, it's been a very good reel, I would buy another in a second when the time comes. The HD is more oriented towards Ocean and Heavy duty work I believe they have greased bearings so that could reduce casting distance if not flushed, and like mentioned above they have SS gears. I didn't have any problems with the brass gears I just ordered the SS gears on a whim while ordering other parts.

Kurt

User avatar
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1537
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by Cristo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Try the new Tatula 300 :big grin:
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

RustyHook
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by RustyHook » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm
I have the original grey 300HSL and upgraded the gears from the original brass to the Stainless Steel HD gears, it's been a very good reel, I would buy another in a second when the time comes. The HD is more oriented towards Ocean and Heavy duty work I believe they have greased bearings so that could reduce casting distance if not flushed, and like mentioned above they have SS gears. I didn't have any problems with the brass gears I just ordered the SS gears on a whim while ordering other parts.

Kurt

Kurt,

I have not looked and compared the parts schematic yet.. Do you know if the HD version bearings can be swapped into the standard Lexa series?

I have used the HD 400 and its a rock solid beast of a reel. Also watched a guy "abuse" a 300HD for a year as a eval and could not believe how almost like new the gears etc looked afterwards.

But I really want a clicker model for a specific SW use.. Not worried about the add cost to swap the parts but if gears and bearing can swap over It gives me my goal of a CC-HD version.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by Kurt L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm

RustyHook wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:42 pm
Kurt L wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm
I have the original grey 300HSL and upgraded the gears from the original brass to the Stainless Steel HD gears, it's been a very good reel, I would buy another in a second when the time comes. The HD is more oriented towards Ocean and Heavy duty work I believe they have greased bearings so that could reduce casting distance if not flushed, and like mentioned above they have SS gears. I didn't have any problems with the brass gears I just ordered the SS gears on a whim while ordering other parts.

Kurt

Kurt,

I have not looked and compared the parts schematic yet.. Do you know if the HD version bearings can be swapped into the standard Lexa series?

I have used the HD 400 and its a rock solid beast of a reel. Also watched a guy "abuse" a 300HD for a year as a eval and could not believe how almost like new the gears etc looked afterwards.

But I really want a clicker model for a specific SW use.. Not worried about the add cost to swap the parts but if gears and bearing can swap over It gives me my goal of a CC-HD version.
As far as I know all of the parts are interchangeable, when I ordered my parts the Daiwa Rep I talked to was up to speed on the upgrades, it sounded like it was pretty common and that he had done his own reel.

Kurt

RustyHook
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by RustyHook » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Kurt,

Thank you. I will look into it further as an HD with clicker would be exactly what I want.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by Kurt L » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:32 pm

RustyHook wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 pm
Kurt,

Thank you. I will look into it further as an HD with clicker would be exactly what I want.
Buying the Model with the clicker and beefing it up with the HD parts might be the best/cheaper option?, If you tried to put a clicker on the HD you might have to buy a new spool? Maybe the guys at Tackle Trap or Daiwa could give you the facts. As far as I know the standard Lexa to HD is easy but I don't what else is required to add the clicker. The Tech I talked to at Daiwa was pretty sharp so they might be able to give you a quick answer.

Kurt

RustyHook
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Daiwa Lexa Question

Post by RustyHook » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks Kurt

My thought was, as you state, to start with the non hd lexa 400CC and then upgrade gears and bearings. I think those are the only major differences I could tell. Frame & body seems the same, spool capacity. The goal is strength of HD & Perf of HD with a bait clicker function.. I am going to be talking to Brian@tackle trap soon about this to confirm.

I enjoy improving and customizing.

Post Reply