Bantam MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by Slazmo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Those Technical L grips are good for smaller reels but be mindful that they're the offenders that go sticky in time when exposed to scent / bug spray / lube oil...

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Those Technical L grips are good for smaller reels but be mindful that they're the offenders that go sticky in time when exposed to scent / bug spray / lube oil...
I have the larger power grips that come with the Curado K, do those melt also, so far they are good.
I remember a couple years ago I got something on one of the grips and it got extremely sticky and I could not fix it so I
ended up throwing the knob away.

The Bantam OEM grips feel like septon also???

I plan on getting something else in the future :big grin:
Just not sure what would look good....

User avatar
Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by Slazmo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 am

They've fixed it I believe to a greater extent.

I've donned all my baitcasters and some spin reels with the Antares knobs like what come standard on the Bantam MGL... So far they've held upto Inox oils which melted the older knobs in an instant.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 am
They've fixed it I believe to a greater extent.

I've donned all my baitcasters and some spin reels with the Antares knobs like what come standard on the Bantam MGL... So far they've held upto Inox oils which melted the older knobs in an instant.
I will give them a try, if they melt I will switch them to the OEM knobs.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Used the Bantam today and absolutely love it.

But it does need some sweet grips and a carbon fiber handle, I wonder why HH don't sell there brand anymore :-k

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by johnD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:09 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm
Used the Bantam today and absolutely love it.

But it does need some sweet grips and a carbon fiber handle, I wonder why HH don't sell there brand anymore :-k
Check out the hawgtech website.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:36 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm
Used the Bantam today and absolutely love it.

But it does need some sweet grips and a carbon fiber handle, I wonder why HH don't sell there brand anymore :-k
Put a HawgTech handle on mine. Used the stock knobs though. Lovin the reel a little more every time I use it.
<")))><{

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by Revofisher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am

lgmouthgambler what size is the hawgtech handle that you have on the bantam, do you need any other hardware or with the origional handle nut work out? thanks im wanting to up size the handle on a few of mine and dont really know what route i want to go yet.

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm

some Bantam goodness
Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Revofisher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am
lgmouthgambler what size is the hawgtech handle that you have on the bantam, do you need any other hardware or with the origional handle nut work out? thanks im wanting to up size the handle on a few of mine and dont really know what route i want to go yet.
I have the XG model, but I dont like big handles. I stick with the 90mm. HawgTech has 94mm and a curved 102mm available as well. The handles come with the hardware already. Your options are to use the stock knobs, or you can purchase Septon or their cork knobs.
<")))><{

User avatar
dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 am
Location: SE FL

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by dhottle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 pm
Revofisher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am
lgmouthgambler what size is the hawgtech handle that you have on the bantam, do you need any other hardware or with the origional handle nut work out? thanks im wanting to up size the handle on a few of mine and dont really know what route i want to go yet.
I have the XG model, but I dont like big handles. I stick with the 90mm. HawgTech has 94mm and a curved 102mm available as well. The handles come with the hardware already. Your options are to use the stock knobs, or you can purchase Septon or their cork knobs or Winn knobs.
Fixed it for you.

PBP
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by PBP » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:31 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm
some Bantam goodness
Image

Image

Image

Image
What type of craw is it? Looks nice.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:17 pm

dhottle wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 pm
Revofisher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am
lgmouthgambler what size is the hawgtech handle that you have on the bantam, do you need any other hardware or with the origional handle nut work out? thanks im wanting to up size the handle on a few of mine and dont really know what route i want to go yet.
I have the XG model, but I dont like big handles. I stick with the 90mm. HawgTech has 94mm and a curved 102mm available as well. The handles come with the hardware already. Your options are to use the stock knobs, or you can purchase Septon or their cork knobs or Winn knobs.
Fixed it for you.
Oh yeah, Winn. I keep forgetting them. I personally hate Winn, so I forget. Lol
<")))><{

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by bwjay » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:30 am

Yikes... why would anyone want to uglify a Bantam like that? Especially on a Conquest, mismatching blues and all... :sick: To each their own, but... the Bantam is one of the cleanest, most refined-looking reels I've seen, and adding anything other than black, white, or silver to it just seems wrong to me.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by lape0019 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:33 am

I bought one when it first came out and absolutely fell in love with it. Casts like a dream, retrieve is silky smooth and there es absolutely no movement in the frame. Liked it so much, I bough a second oen and plan on purchasing a third.

First one is a 6.2:1. I use it for jerkbaits a spook style baits.
Second one is the HG model and is on my chatterbait rod.
Third one will go on my spinnerbait rod I think but I wouldn't mind getting quite a few more of them to replace a Metanium DC, and possible a Core 100MGFV.

Post Reply