Steel head Reel questions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steel head Reel questions

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm

I use a jdm Zillion 1516 and it would be ideal I believe for you, hard to find nowadays though might want to look at the new Coastal SV, I'm getting one as soon as I can to be my new trout reel for inshore fishing.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks for the input! I think I have decided on the Morethan.
Will order as soon as the 8.6 comes in.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:00 pm

The Steez A/Morethan will be great reels for steelhead. I have used a Steez A quite a bit for them and carry an extra spool with braid for bobber fishing if that is the required scene, but I mainly drift fish roe for them with mono. For the larger salmon I have in the past used Curado 300E reels and the gears get fairly crunchy after a season of usage. I purchased a Tranx 300 to use for river king salmon fishing this year and hope the additional bearing on the pinion gear will save the gear set from wearing like the 300E does, if not then I will try a Zillion HD TW 1520 that I've been using for bass this summer. Many great choices out there for reels right now!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:29 pm

I have ended up with the new Morethan Pe and a Zillion HD and am just waiting for the fall rains to bring the salmon into the rivers........ :D
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish