What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Word is, US price on the Steez CT SV 70 will be 699 bucks. No thanks. 472 bucks on Digitaka

So who exactly is your source for "Word is"? All this hubbub over a $699 US price that does not and will not exist. I'll still buy from a JDM source regardless, but I've got to call fake news when I see it.
Trey Harpel

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:51 pm

You know what, just because you don't like the message it is not the messengers fault. Will this price hold up, maybe not, but it is what Daiwa is saying at this time. I for one find it very curious that the Japan sites list the price much lower than the US stores are told it will cost. At this point the Japan retailers are listing it for less than US retailers have to pay for it. When available. As no one has any at this point maybe it is a moot point. In any case using the term "fake news" just because you are not happy with the news is not called for.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:49 pm

timinmo wrote:You know what, just because you don't like the message it is not the messengers fault. Will this price hold up, maybe not, but it is what Daiwa is saying at this time. I for one find it very curious that the Japan sites list the price much lower than the US stores are told it will cost. At this point the Japan retailers are listing it for less than US retailers have to pay for it. When available. As no one has any at this point maybe it is a moot point. In any case using the term "fake news" just because you are not happy with the news is not called for.
Lol. I mean I'm hoping it's not 700 bucks, just what I was told from someone who has more connections with Daiwa than most. Could be fake, could be legit. Hope for the best, prepare to soil my pants type of deal.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 am

Dalleinf wrote:
toporanger wrote:I can understand a $50 price jump on things, but still cant wrap my head around the 100-200 dollar up charge for buying the same reel in the US vs direct from Japan.
Customs and tax difference. US importer has to pay, but you may get away with it.
If US customs were more strict (as in most of EU), you would pay more for importing a reel from Japan.
The average customs rate in the US is 3% and even with it being at its highest of 20% something still doesnt pass the smell test. Now if that up charge is mostly due to the "warranty" that might explain a bit. IMO its been faster and cheaper to have a reputable reel guy do the repairs instead of daiwa, but I also havent see a catastrophic failure on my $300+ reels.

It seems like just about every reel is cheaper over seas. I generally buy from a JDM store if for no other reason than shipping from Japan is cheaper and faster than say from TW :lol:

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 am

toporanger wrote: It seems like just about every reel is cheaper over seas. I generally buy from a JDM store if for no other reason than shipping from Japan is cheaper and faster than say from TW :lol:
:shock: Try living in Europe. America has just about everything for around half the price of what it costs in Europe, the cost of buying premium reels from Japan in the US is microscopic compared to all the other items of tackle and boats and trucks and homes which are so very much cheaper.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 am

And inside Europe; In Finland we have salaries of half than in Germany and in Germany everything is cheaper. Sometimes much cheaper. But life is choises and in most countries people are free to move. And most people has freedom of speak which is also very important. In my opinion more important than tax rates :) Btv, now it seems that our 'intelligent' politicans have decided that we are going to change our cars in Finland to electric ones. Due to tax rates which are huuuge here, median Finnish people drives 11,8 year old car. (And middle price of those in Finland is something 2000 Euros - In German those cars would have been recycled because those are worthless there.) Now working people here are thinking where we get money for new electric cars. Or Electricity to electric cars because our politicians seems decided we are going at the same time to abandon use of coal energy plants. After that I think there would be a few people in Finland that have money to buy any fishing reel and rod. Or maybe we look news from TV and go to buy yellow waistcoats like French people.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am

jvelth74 wrote:And inside Europe; In Finland we have salaries of half than in Germany and in Germany everything is cheaper. Sometimes much cheaper. But life is choises and in most countries people are free to move. And most people has freedom of speak which is also very important. In my opinion more important than tax rates :) Btv, now it seems that our 'intelligent' politicans have decided that we are going to change our cars in Finland to elictric ones. Due to tax rates which are huuuge here, median Finnish people drives 11,8 year old car. (And middle price of those in Finland is something 2000 Euros - In German those cars would have been recycled because those are worthless there.) Now working people here are thinking where we get money for new electric cars. Or Electricity to electric cars because our politicians seems decided we are going at the same time to abandon use of coal energy plants. After that I think there would be a few people in Finland that have money to buy any fishing reel and rod. Or maybe we look news from TV and go to buy yellow waistcoats like French people.
Yellow waistcoats are probably on the horizon for a lot of countries. Some have it worse than others, but income inequality the world over is on the rise and there's a global economic recession looming, already starting in some places. It's hard to justify a $700 bass reel at all, much less when you can't afford gasoline, groceries, electricity, health care, a house. The point is they'll price for what they can sell them and at $700 it won't be long before they can't sell them at all. As others have pointed out they already tried that with the first Steez and it didn't take long for them to realize that was unrealistic.

I thought it was illegal in Finland to drive a car older than 10 yrs or a Diesel at all. Is that Denmark?
This is the way.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 am

I can't buy all the things I want because...

wife.

:(

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:06 am

poisonokie wrote:Yellow waistcoats are probably on the horizon for a lot of countries.
To prevent people to buy yellow waistcoats they will enact a law of ‘Waistcoat tax act’ which will rise yellow waistcoat prices by 1000%. That would not stop people obtaining waistcoats. We just buy those in the same travel to Estonia where we are used to buy vodka. After that our government states a temporary tax law of waistcoat use. After paying tax, government will send a tax sticker which should be putted to waistcoat, similarly like car tax sticker was sometimes. And breaking a tax law is the most serious crime in Finland. Therefore it’s a life sentence if wearing a waistcoat without a tax sticker. And this tax law is as temporary as car tax is, which has been valid in here since 1958. :D
poisonokie wrote:I thought it was illegal in Finland to drive a car older than 10 yrs or a Diesel at all. Is that Denmark?
No, it’s somewhere in the middle Europe. Some cities in Germany and maybe somewhere else. My earlier car was over 500’000 km driven diesel from year 2000. Now I have same age but it’s petrol and only 350’000 km. But it’s still nice car to drive. :) Mercedes W202 240 automatic. It’s German import because ‘nobody’ in here had the money to buy such expensive car as new.

Old diesel cars are pretty much mandatory in not so rich areas in North or East Finland. Because they must drive far away to work or to shop or to medical care. And usually those people don’t have money to new cars. And both diesel and petrol is high priced here. But diesel cars still are a little more economical. And those people don’t want to drive a new little Korean car. They rely on bigger and older diesels.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am

jvelth74 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Yellow waistcoats are probably on the horizon for a lot of countries.
To prevent people to buy yellow waistcoats they will enact a law of ‘Waistcoat tax act’ which will rise yellow waistcoat prices by 1000%. That would not stop people obtaining waistcoats. We just buy those in the same travel to Estonia where we are used to buy vodka. After that our government states a temporary law of waistcoat use. After paying tax, government will send a tax sticker which should be putted to waistcoat, similarly like car tax was sometimes. And breaking a tax law is the most serious crime in Finland. Therefore it’s life sentence if wearing a waistcoat without a tax sticker. And this tax law is as temporary as car tax is, which has been valid in here since 1958. :D
:lol: You'd make a hell of a bureaucrat!
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:37 pm

jvelth74 wrote: Old diesel cars are pretty much mandatory in not so rich areas in North or East Finland. Because they must drive far away to work or to shop or to medical care. And usually those people don’t have money to new cars. And both diesel and petrol is high priced here. But diesel cars still are a little more economical. And those people don’t want to drive a new little Korean car. They rely on bigger and older diesels.
This video game is all I know about cars in Finland: https://store.steampowered.com/app/5167 ... ummer_Car/

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Houndfish wrote:
jvelth74 wrote: Old diesel cars are pretty much mandatory in not so rich areas in North or East Finland. Because they must drive far away to work or to shop or to medical care. And usually those people don’t have money to new cars. And both diesel and petrol is high priced here. But diesel cars still are a little more economical. And those people don’t want to drive a new little Korean car. They rely on bigger and older diesels.
This video game is all I know about cars in Finland: https://store.steampowered.com/app/5167 ... ummer_Car/
That looks pretty cool. I'll have to download that.

I wonder if Kimi Raikonnen honed his rally skills in an automatic Mercedes Diesel... :-k
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:09 pm

poisonokie wrote: That looks pretty cool. I'll have to download that.

I wonder if Kimi Raikonnen honed his rally skills in an automatic Mercedes Diesel... :-k
The game is literal insanity, I have no idea what I am doing and then I realize four hours have passed. It's not *fun* in the normal sense but it's very compelling somehow.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:29 pm

A lot of talks about reels...anybody excited about Daiwa rods? Havent really been on the lookout
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:A lot of talks about reels...anybody excited about Daiwa rods? Havent really been on the lookout

Yes; for light and no sinker presentations the steez werewolf is howling; bastard is keeping me up. Might have to do something about it.

The monkey on the other hand is bat sh@& over the racing design 701 MH / HFB Texas Rig Specialty

http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html