Abu Garcia WTF's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu Garcia WTF's

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Dont get too upset about it, its the wave of the future. Micro module gearing, what a great idea! NOT! Did anyone really have an issue with their reels that didnt have the MM gearing? I sure s hell didnt, so why did they change it? Because the sheep will buy into it! Along with all the different names they have for their "aluminum" construction, and whatever other names they can put a spin on to the same crap everyone else has....see the pattern?...Shimano and Daiwa at this point aint no high horse to what they used to stand for and mean to the fisher. Get over it guys, sometimes you are just paying for the name that is using all the same stuff. Hold on to your Shimano Es, Daiwa TDs, and Zs, because those days are as good as gone.
<")))><{

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 23, 2018 12:57 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
SSS wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
SSS wrote:
runmax08 wrote:

Well here we go again.....I sound like Ronald Reagan.....

This "chrome" front plate can easily be scratched from normal use. This plate will fit.......

My grandpa had a station wagon that looked like this reel. It had been hit and parts of it had had been painted a shade of red that did not match the rest of the vehicle. Not even close. That is what that Z looks like.....

The pic is not clear enough but looks like someone painted in their basement......

... being fished the reel performed flawlessly and i really didnt want to swap for a conquest as i have a bunch of te's and gt's but the paint on the z2020 is so bad i could never keep it and fish with it as i strictly fish saltwater where i am and couldnt risk corrosion issues. hopefully people have ........

This is good news..........Its only a 500 dollar reel! Maybe we need another special counsel to investigate this matter !!!
Not talking about the front plate. Even tdz and og zillions suffered from the chrome chipping away. I'm talking about the clutch. You will never find a daiwa with the chrome on the clutch all chipped away or simply erased from your thumb rubbing when engaging the clutch.
Whats the difference in what part it is? The thumb bar at least has an excuse to be worn, as its always being pushed and used, the front plate on a Daiwa?.... Well....?
Your fingers are always rubbing the front plate, so its all the same. Thing is, the chrome front plate is only chipping on the TDZ series and OG Zillions. It doesn't happen on newer reels that have the chrome piece such as the SS SV. On abu, it happens on every single reel since they began making low profile baitcaster reels. Not only does it chip, erases, but also darkens. That's Made in Korea for you, with poor quality control.
Not everyone holds the reel the same. I have seen Daiwas bubble, chip, lose color, etc. Most these reel parts are made in the same factories anyways. Some of the Korean reels are getting better, and parts same quality too. Again, most reel parts are all made in the same places.
Yes, Daiwa paint had some problems with saltwater. But we're talking about the chrome pieces.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Dont get too upset about it, its the wave of the future. Micro module gearing, what a great idea! NOT! Did anyone really have an issue with their reels that didnt have the MM gearing? I sure s hell didnt, so why did they change it? Because the sheep will buy into it! Along with all the different names they have for their "aluminum" construction, and whatever other names they can put a spin on to the same crap everyone else has....see the pattern?...Shimano and Daiwa at this point aint no high horse to what they used to stand for and mean to the fisher. Get over it guys, sometimes you are just paying for the name that is using all the same stuff. Hold on to your Shimano Es, Daiwa TDs, and Zs, because those days are as good as gone.
They changed it because Shimano is the kind at inventing gimmicks, gimmicks that catch up by the "sheep", and Daiwa is forced to respond.

Did they have to invent a name for a bearing supported pinion gear? No, Daiwa never did and have their X Ship since forever. Did they have to name their gear Hagane? Nope. They did it so they could stick a logo on the box sell it to you as a feature. That is just how it is. At least their quality control is great. Same can't be said about Abu.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm

SSS wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Dont get too upset about it, its the wave of the future. Micro module gearing, what a great idea! NOT! Did anyone really have an issue with their reels that didnt have the MM gearing? I sure s hell didnt, so why did they change it? Because the sheep will buy into it! Along with all the different names they have for their "aluminum" construction, and whatever other names they can put a spin on to the same crap everyone else has....see the pattern?...Shimano and Daiwa at this point aint no high horse to what they used to stand for and mean to the fisher. Get over it guys, sometimes you are just paying for the name that is using all the same stuff. Hold on to your Shimano Es, Daiwa TDs, and Zs, because those days are as good as gone.
They changed it because Shimano is the kind at inventing gimmicks, gimmicks that catch up by the "sheep", and Daiwa is forced to respond.

Did they have to invent a name for a bearing supported pinion gear? No, Daiwa never did and have their X Ship since forever. Did they have to name their gear Hagane? Nope. They did it so they could stick a logo on the box sell it to you as a feature. That is just how it is. At least their quality control is great. Same can't be said about Abu.
Hate to break it to you, but Shimano has been down hill since the E series. And Abu dont make their own reels, its Doyo, who also makes BPS, Pfluegar, Lews, and a few others. Still see a ton of Gen1 Abus around my parts, and going strong and smooth. Thats with some serious fishing too. So, whats that mean? Ive seen them all come across my bench, and havent seen any improvements to Shimano or Daiwa since the 2010 era of reels, in fact they have gone quite the opposite. Doyos have been making a vast improvement to their overall builds, especially the new LFS series of reels.

As far as the paint comment, it doesnt matter whether it was a "chrome piece" or a "painted piece", and didnt just happen because of salt water, its all the same in the conversation at hand. They are all within having some kind of down fall. Its just like cars now a days, they are all crap, pick one.
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm

The Abus that I have owned were good reels, until the thumb bar stopped working which is a pretty major problem, especially when wade fishing where you normally bring only 1 reel. The reels performed well and were comfortable to use, but that thumb bar issue(which was very common) was when I had to quit using them. I've heard this issue has been addressed and won't be a problem with the new series. Never heard of it happening with Lews, so that's definitely a plus for them.

That Ryoga post makes me laugh though! Can't handle a 25lb redfish? Seriously? That reel would handle them easily. My "plastic" Chronarch CI4s have been doing that for years, and haven't needed a single part swapped out, still super smooth! My Steez A has also landed quite a few, and still going strong. Something is really wrong if a round reel isnt strong enough to handle that!

Naming things may be a marketing gimmick to get people's attention, but damn that Xship makes a huge difference. Fishing a Curado E and Curado K side by side is not even close! Love my Es and won't be getting rid of them, but casting and cranking power can't even be compared between them, and that's a fact.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 23, 2018 3:35 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
SSS wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but Shimano has been down hill since the E series. And Abu dont make their own reels, its Doyo, who also makes BPS, Pfluegar, Lews, and a few others. Still see a ton of Gen1 Abus around my parts, and going strong and smooth. Thats with some serious fishing too. So, whats that mean? Ive seen them all come across my bench, and havent seen any improvements to Shimano or Daiwa since the 2010 era of reels, in fact they have gone quite the opposite. Doyos have been making a vast improvement to their overall builds, especially the new LFS series of reels.

As far as the paint comment, it doesnt matter whether it was a "chrome piece" or a "painted piece", and didnt just happen because of salt water, its all the same in the conversation at hand. They are all within having some kind of down fall. Its just like cars now a days, they are all crap, pick one.
I prefer Daiwa and MB over Shimano so i don't use em much, but if the Met2013, Met MGL, Alde2015, BFS, Alde30, the current Conquest series, etc, etc is the "down hill" of Shimano, then i'm more than fine with them going down hill :laugh1:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 23, 2018 3:38 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:The Abus that I have owned were good reels, until the thumb bar stopped working which is a pretty major problem, especially when wade fishing where you normally bring only 1 reel. The reels performed well and were comfortable to use, but that thumb bar issue(which was very common) was when I had to quit using them. I've heard this issue has been addressed and won't be a problem with the new series. Never heard of it happening with Lews, so that's definitely a plus for them.

That Ryoga post makes me laugh though! Can't handle a 25lb redfish? Seriously? That reel would handle them easily. My "plastic" Chronarch CI4s have been doing that for years, and haven't needed a single part swapped out, still super smooth! My Steez A has also landed quite a few, and still going strong. Something is really wrong if a round reel isnt strong enough to handle that!

Naming things may be a marketing gimmick to get people's attention, but damn that Xship makes a huge difference. Fishing a Curado E and Curado K side by side is not even close! Love my Es and won't be getting rid of them, but casting and cranking power can't even be compared between them, and that's a fact.
No one is saying bearing supported pinion gear is useless. What's useless is giving it a name and print the logo on the box like its something new Shimano has invented.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 am

SSS wrote:No one is saying bearing supported pinion gear is useless. What's useless is giving it a name and print the logo on the box like its something new Shimano has invented.
I gotcha. But without them indicating that it's something new on their reels, how would they advertise that feature exists? It seems to be a big enough improvement to be worth advertising to me. I hate useless marketing(Hagane?? Just state what the frame material is and drop the marketing) as much as most of you guys, but this is simply advertising a new feature. I agree with you completely on Shimano going downhill :lol: =D>

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu May 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Ok so I own a Steez A and a SV103, both have paint problems, can confirm this, and I do fish saltwater exclusively. Never had paint problems with Shimano and so far the Revo X doesn't either.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Well I guess the reaming is almost over.................I might have to buy a MGXtreme 2 on eBay.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 am

runmax08 wrote:Well I guess the reaming is almost over.................I might have to buy a MGXtreme 2 on eBay.
Get a JDM LV7. Smaller reel, and better overall for light baits.
<")))><{

crankenstein
Angler
Angler

Post by crankenstein » Fri May 25, 2018 6:49 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
runmax08 wrote:Well I guess the reaming is almost over.................I might have to buy a MGXtreme 2 on eBay.
Been watching this thread. The LV7 looks just like an ALX or Mgxtreme. You're saying it's smaller, so apparently you've held both and can list the physical measurements of each reel? How much smaller is the LV7 than the other reels? Post some specs by what you mean by smaller. And what weights have you cast with the LV7 to say it casts lighter weights?

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:59 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:

What about the new Daiwa-Bait-Reel-Black-Bath-Steeves-SV-TW-1012SV-XH

Would this one work well in Russia or China?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Bait-Ree ... 0338.m3726

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat May 26, 2018 5:25 am

crankenstein wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Been watching this thread. The LV7 looks just like an ALX or Mgxtreme. You're saying it's smaller, so apparently you've held both and can list the physical measurements of each reel? How much smaller is the LV7 than the other reels? Post some specs by what you mean by smaller. And what weights have you cast with the LV7 to say it casts lighter weights?
I had the ALX, and the LV7 is the same size as that. Is the MGX EXT the same size as the ALX? I thought it was based on the same frame as the S/SX/STX/etc... If its not, my bad, they all look the same in pictures, but are actually different, but the main reason for recommendation was that the LV and LT 7s have a light spool, and the MagTrax with the extra magnets for better control.

Oh, and my LV7 casts Zara spook Jrs and Puppys, and small Rebel Poprs a good 20yds with 0.010 dia line. I use a Dobyns Sierra 682 for this if that helps to get an idea of the whole picture. The LT7 has a more shallow spool than the LV7, but I also dont fill my spool all the way to the rim. Its probably a good half way, maybe a tad bit more. The line seems to come off the spool more in line with the line guide as far as the angle is concerned.
<")))><{

crankenstein
Angler
Angler

Post by crankenstein » Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
crankenstein wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
I had the ALX, and the LV7 is the same size as that. Is the MGX EXT the same size as the ALX? I thought it was based on the same frame as the S/SX/STX/etc... If its not, my bad, they all look the same in pictures, but are actually different, but the main reason for recommendation was that the LV and LT 7s have a light spool, and the MagTrax with the extra magnets for better control.

Oh, and my LV7 casts Zara spook Jrs and Puppys, and small Rebel Poprs a good 20yds with 0.010 dia line. I use a Dobyns Sierra 682 for this if that helps to get an idea of the whole picture. The LT7 has a more shallow spool than the LV7, but I also dont fill my spool all the way to the rim. Its probably a good half way, maybe a tad bit more. The line seems to come off the spool more in line with the line guide as far as the angle is concerned.

Awesome info! Thank you. The prices on the ALX are very tempting right now lol