metanium mgl ?'s

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

metanium mgl ?'s

Post by lifeofRiley » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

I'm just wondering, I know the spools are different, does anyone know line capacity for the JDM version? For people that have one is there enough capacity on the reel for a jig skipping rod? I was thinking about getting one but not sure what I'd use it for. One buddy says frogging but I can't do that with a shallow spool and I already bought a SV103 for that. I'm also really stocked up on mint condition 200e7's which are one of my favorite reels of all time. But...I...want...a...new....reel.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: metanium mgl ?'s

Post by DavidSA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 am

This is not what you want to hear but it is the nicest out of the box caster I've fished. I'm not in love with the looks so much but the performance so far is really good. It certainly casts further then the outstanding 13met but I need more time to conclude if with same level of braking if distance is still better. Smooth, smooth, smooth but also still a light reel.

What I can say is this is an outstanding light plastics and jigs reel. It really moves a light lure with say 10# line. can't wait to put my 30# braid on it.

Mine is a JDM. I honestly don't know how it compares to say my Chronarch ci4 150 but I can share this. I spooled my Dad's MGL with 12# hybrid line that is pretty high diameter. I cast a lure totally across the large pond I fish and I had plenty of line remaining. So in my mind, unless I'm throwing a C-Rig or Swimbait on 20+ FC line, it has capacity for anything I want to do.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 am

I've got the jdm mgl xg and with a 5/8 Fb jig it goes a long way with no issues with line capacity with 12lb floro

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:36 am

I been thinking about picking one up, but right now I have my metanium 13 with a yumeya shallow spool and it is simply
amazing and the HH air bearings make it even that much better...not sure I will find a better casting reel.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:27 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been thinking about picking one up, but right now I have my metanium 13 with a yumeya shallow spool and it is simply
amazing and the HH air bearings make it even that much better...not sure I will find a better casting reel.
hate to be the one to break this to you but I would bet the MGL XG out of the box will cast as well as your shallow spool and is smoother. The MGL vs the met seems to shine with the lower weights and is just plain smoother. I won't be replacing my 13's but I have to call it like I experience.

Today I must have side hooked a grass carp or had a massive cat on the line with my MGL with 8# yozuri hybrid. Fought the fish for about 10 minutes and could not move her into shallow water. Finally pulled the bait loose by hand. The MGL was one smooth operator with what amounted to a 20 to 40# fish on the line.

Just to toss a finesse swim bait on 8# hybrid line on a MGL is a thing you would have to experience.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:27 am

DavidSA wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been thinking about picking one up, but right now I have my metanium 13 with a yumeya shallow spool and it is simply
hate to be the one to break this to you but I would bet the MGL XG out of the box will cast as well as your shallow spool and is smoother. The MGL vs the met seems to shine with the lower weights and is just plain smoother. I won't be replacing my 13's but I have to call it like I experience.

Today I must have side hooked a grass carp or had a massive cat on the line with my MGL with 8# yozuri hybrid. Fought the fish for about 10 minutes and could not move her into shallow water. Finally pulled the bait loose by hand. The MGL was one smooth operator with what amounted to a 20 to 40# fish on the line.

Just to toss a finesse swim bait on 8# hybrid line on a MGL is a thing you would have to experience.
That's one thing I haven't tried my mgl for, light baits. Mainly I have a green nrx893 AND I'd think it'd look fugly on there, LOL. Do you think the mgl will outcast a steez sv with say a 1/4 shakyhead AND 8lb floro?
Last edited by Hennessy on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:19 am

How is the Metanium MGL vs the aldebaran bfs xg

Smoothness, cast ability and lightness?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't know if fair comparison to a true bfs reel but interested in the replies. I picked up my first NRX 893 last summer and put a 13 met on it. Did well but for some of my finesse plastics, I felt the rod was a bit too stiff. With the MGL on the same 893 and 8# line, the same rod is able to throw a total weight 1/4oz shakey rig further and with less effort. Makes the total combo feel more finesseful in my hands.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:04 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm just wondering, I know the spools are different, does anyone know line capacity for the JDM version? For people that have one is there enough capacity on the reel for a jig skipping rod? I was thinking about getting one but not sure what I'd use it for. One buddy says frogging but I can't do that with a shallow spool and I already bought a SV103 for that. I'm also really stocked up on mint condition 200e7's which are one of my favorite reels of all time. But...I...want...a...new....reel.
What type of line?

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:53 pm

My guess is if I get a JDM version I'll just pick up the american spool later. I usually like a little bit more line capacity when it comes to casting reels. I would tend to skip a jig on 17-20 pound nylon or fluoro. Often it is around some gnarly cover, so after dragging or attempting to drag a fish from metal dock posts I often need to cut 12-24 inches of line off due to abrasions.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm

What you describe may be perfectly fine on the JDM version. However, backup spools are great.

Consider the true deep spool. I have one for one of my 13Mets and it has the same line capacity as the old Curado E series. I think it holds a good deal more line then my Ci4 150 size. It allows me to throw C-Rigs with 20# FC without giving any consideration to line capacity

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Has anyone removed the spool bearing from there MGL and replaced it with new bearing?

I got so many different reels on my mind right now, but all of them have this new spool bearing, I like to
upgrade my bearings to get the fullest potential.

If the stock MGL will out cast my Met 13 that is has a shallow spool with HH air bearings then I will purchase one.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Has anyone removed the spool bearing from there MGL and replaced it with new bearing?

I got so many different reels on my mind right now, but all of them have this new spool bearing, I like to
upgrade my bearings to get the fullest potential.

If the stock MGL will out cast my Met 13 that is has a shallow spool with HH air bearings then I will purchase one.
I've done it with all 3 MGL spools I have.

It's a PITA unless you go slow. There is an E-Clip directly above the bearing. Its super small and loaded with Nitrous.

I went with ZR's in both Met MGL's and a ZR on the extra spool. Not a huge improvement, but a small noticeable difference. It was worth it too me.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

DavidSA wrote:
hate to be the one to break this to you but I would bet the MGL XG out of the box will cast as well as your shallow spool and is smoother. The MGL vs the met seems to shine with the lower weights and is just plain smoother.
I hope you are right, I just ordered one from Japan...

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I use my MGL for chucking and winding squarebills lol, I had a met13 that I used for this, but picked up a mgl last summer and I just fell in love with how smooth the thing is. I use it for 3/8 squarebills with 14lb fc sniper.

It's a very very smooth reel!