Solid tip rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Solid tip rod

Post by Real » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am

I'm looking at getting a new Shimano Expride spinning rod with a solid tip. For those who have solid tip rods, is there really an advantage ? And what is it exacly ?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Solid tip rod

Post by Drakestar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 pm

In my experience there isn't added sensitivity (but on a high-end rod, you don't lose it, either). But the solid tip makes it easier to maintain bottom contact and you can fish lighter lures.

The two ST rods that I have are both Daiwa Steez models (well, I might also have an old Ugly Stik somewhere in the garage :lol:), and I use both for bottom contact.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:47 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 pm
In my experience there isn't added sensitivity (but on a high-end rod, you don't lose it, either). But the solid tip makes it easier to maintain bottom contact and you can fish lighter lures.

The two ST rods that I have are both Daiwa Steez models (well, I might also have an old Ugly Stik somewhere in the garage :lol:), and I use both for bottom contact.
Which Steez models do you have? I have the Fire Wolf which I'm thoroughly enjoying, and I'm thinking about grabbing the Hurricane. Both have similar ratings, but the Hurricane has an extra fast tip section.
Solid tip advantages could be loading purposes, both on the cast and hook set, as well as bait easy movement with little manipulation of the rod because of the tip. A good example would be mid strolling, but also walleye fishing with a jig, as a big walleye can consume your bait with very little detection. They will spit it out as quickly as they inhale it if something doesn't feel right to them.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:47 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 pm

Which Steez models do you have? I have the Fire Wolf which I'm thoroughly enjoying, and I'm thinking about grabbing the Hurricane. Both have similar ratings, but the Hurricane has an extra fast tip section.
Solid tip advantages could be loading purposes, both on the cast and hook set, as well as bait easy movement with little manipulation of the rod because of the tip. A good example would be mid strolling, but also walleye fishing with a jig, as a big walleye can consume your bait with very little detection. They will spit it out as quickly as they inhale it if something doesn't feel right to them.
Such a good post. This is why I love TT.