Are Loomis GLX rods far behind now?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Are Loomis GLX rods far behind now?

Post by Boondock » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

Good to see some similar folks from years ago still on here!

I have still been fishing but not like before. Mostly due to having two kids that play competitive soccer and also have been kinda burned out on Colorado fishing.

I did have an impulse purchase last night though with two GLX rods! I haven’t updated much of my tackle in years.. few things nice and a while but not much.

Is Loomis glx behind the newer stuff or will I be happy with the two rods I ordered? I purchased a 895c jwr glx and a 855C jwr glx. Plan on using them for all around… 7” fluke pike fishing, 4-5” swimbaits, small glides maybe….

Just curious how these stack up vs all the new options.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Are Loomis GLX rods far behind now?

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:31 pm

Glad to see you back Kurt! I hope that you and your family are well.

I don't know if the current GLX has "fallen far" behind, so much as the design/styling and price is a bit more dear than other makes/models out there that are comparable, and priced lower.

On the two models you selected, I would think they would both work very well for the techs, aside perhaps the glides.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 am

The current models you bought are still one of the best. I fish a lot of different brands and glx is still in the top. Enjoy!
Philippians 4:6

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:41 pm

Thanks fellas!

Van, moved to Tennessee eh!!! So much more water and way way better fishing. Bet you don’t miss the front range rat race…

Family all good just so busy.

The rods shipped today and I paid about half of retail. If I can don’t like them i should be able to break even selling them at least.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:26 pm

The reel seat is tight, not roomy like the old fuji ECS. Blank sensitivity is superb....95% of an nrx to me. Really looking forward to the new model...hope to be a 'glx man' once again.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 pm

Boondock wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:41 pm
Thanks fellas!

Van, moved to Tennessee eh!!! So much more water and way way better fishing. Bet you don’t miss the front range rat race…

Family all good just so busy.

The rods shipped today and I paid about half of retail. If I can don’t like them i should be able to break even selling them at least.
Yeppers bro, been here since 13 April 2021...and there's a ton of fishing out here. If you check out the TN State records for essentially all species, it's pretty mind boggling...there's even 55"+ musky out in the Eastern rivers and the WR FW inland striper/rock fish is from TN.

In so far as breaking even on selling those rods, make sure to look up Pirate Ship because shipping a 7'0" rod is about $50 now, and some states more than others.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 am

Very nice Van! Jealous man, I have talked about visiting Tennessee and possible moving to that region.

I would try and sell them local before shipping them for sure. Quite a few very serious fisherman here these days.

The rods are supposed to arrive in the next few hours….

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:19 pm

Got them, impressed but I wouldn’t call them extra heavy lol.

More like a heavy mh for the 855
True heavy for the 895

In case anyone cared the 895 weighs 5.4 and the 855 5.1 so not bad for normal size guides that aren’t titanium.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:02 am

I don't have the models you are talking about, but I do have 2-842, 2-843, 1-844, 2-852 rods. For me there's nothing lacking with them. They are my favorite rods made. Hoping the new version that should be coming out in 2024 are just as good.