Rod Info Request

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rod Info Request

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 pm

Had to take a pause from my homework..Went to work and still up past midnight trying to get assignments completed when I started scrolling through the for sale pages here. Try as I might to resist but some how I ended up looking at some EG rods.

I am particularly interested in knowing about the Egoist tournament series, the super speed GT-R and cougar elite GT.
I can only get one but of them all the one that interest me the most is the Super Speed GT-R but its 6'6" and i am a six eight person. But it could win out depending on if someone else has one. The next is the Egoist but I think its just an impulse buy which by the way I have been doing really good with. I haven't impulsively purchased anything since Sunday..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod Info Request

Post by City17Banner » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:17 pm

I own both the Super Steed GT-R and the Cougar Elite RS & GT rods. I use the Super Steed for light crankbaits such as the 7g or 1/4oz Imakatsu Gekiasa Shad, the 9.7g or 11/32oz Evergreen Shower Blows 77SB, and the 1/4oz Bottom Up Chibeeble spinnerbait and it does a great job at presenting these types of lures.

I know that there are some folks who use the Super Steed for light bottom contact fishing, but as you noted, the rod length is a bit too short for such an endeavor along with the tip being a bit too "supple" for a true JDM bottom contact rod. I prefer my Sedition Cristobal for finesse bottom contact fishing needs due to the much longer rod length, wonderfully sensitive tip section, and an underrated midsection which has plenty of power to pull fish out of cover when I am using my Nories Kameraba jigs tipped with an Escape Twin trailer.

The Cougar Elite RS & GT rods form the basis of my "traditional" 110mm sized jerkbait setups and still work well with slightly lighter lures such as the 3/8oz DUO Realis Rozante 77SP, MB X-Nanahan, and slightly larger DUO Realis 120SP jerkbaits but typically, I prefer to throw the largest jerkbaits such as the 1oz MB Kanata Ayu or 1-1/16oz LC Pointer 158SP lures on its big brother, the EG Dire Wolf.

I have heard that some folks use the Cougar Elite RS/GT for Jackhammers and Swin Jigs, but to me the taper is a bit too fast for these lures and I end up missing fish by pulling the lure out of their mouths before they can properly eat the lure. For Jackhammers and Swim Jigs such as the Uoze Swimmer, the best production rod I have used, by far, is the MB Valkyrie 71MH, while the best overall rod I have ever used for these same lure types is undoubtedly the incomparable Sedition White Falcon and now its little brother the Crux Doomrider.

As for your true question, it really depends on what type of fishing you prefer, but if I wanted to get only one of these two rods, it would be the Cougar Elite RS/GT simply by dint of it having more flexibility in the realm of both lure sizes and categories/options. The Super Steed truly excels at presenting lighter lures and is more of a niche rod for those days the fish prefer something more subtle than a OSP Magnum Blitz EX-DR! :lol:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS