Shimano Excite Top Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Excite Top Rods

Post by Mike son » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:08 pm

Anyone use any models with this tech? I'm leaning toward an UL rod with the Excite top for hover stolling ~3g rigs, maybe throw some light neko rigs.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Excite Top Rods

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:06 pm

Excite Top is just a marketing term for solid tip rods. From what I've seen most rods designed for hover strolling are tubular not ST rods. I also have some personal experience with using a solid tip for hover strolling and I dont like it

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:55 pm

I prefer a solid tip for light, feel, line watching techniques, such as hover strolling. Took me a while to feel comfortable with them, but I now own 3 solid tip rods. Definitely not for everyone.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:00 pm

Shimano excite top is NO solid tip, actually may be said to be the opposite. these excite top has a hardened tip section and a softer blank between mid section and the first 4 guides, and the intention is to make it easier to shake the rod tip with minimal force.

I own the Poison Glorious 264SUL+ model and from my experience it's perfect for hover style shaking with 3-5 gram total weight. I much prefer excite top over solid tip or regular tabular tip for shaking and constantly creating slack line.

not a distance caster tho, and bite detection a bit strange, hard to describe and I suspect has to do with its unusual taper, but no problem feel the bite

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:06 am

StymoDe wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:00 pm
Shimano excite top is NO solid tip, actually may be said to be the opposite. these excite top has a hardened tip section and a softer blank between mid section and the first 4 guides, and the intention is to make it easier to shake the rod tip with minimal force.

I own the Poison Glorious 264SUL+ model and from my experience it's perfect for hover style shaking with 3-5 gram total weight. I much prefer excite top over solid tip or regular tabular tip for shaking and constantly creating slack line.

not a distance caster tho, and bite detection a bit strange, hard to describe and I suspect has to do with its unusual taper, but no problem feel the bite
This was my understanding. Even alluding to a thicker blank or heavier guides towards the tip so that there is more mass at the tip to generate an easier shake. Shimano, Daiwa, and Evergreen have their own design ideas to create rods to generate this "easy shake" that I've been reading into. I've seen a few videos where they tug the line to bend the rod and the tip stays straight but starts to bend a handful of guides down. Interesting for sure. Do you like the rod for fishing anything else?