New Rod build..

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Rod build..

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:39 am

What blank are you sourcing?

attributes, sensitivity of course right,
backbone,
and tip action but maybe more semi tip action

6'8" to 6'10"
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Rod build..

Post by godshippy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:16 am

I'm not building, but I would love to try one of those MHX blanks.

W W
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by W W » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:44 pm

Currently looking at a Phenix k2 TX-764-MH-C-B
Thinking of grabbing this one to have 2 big water DS in spinning.
I actually need to inquire info on this blank.
I know k2 power ratings are possibly on the high side.
Any information on this blank please feel free to inform me.

I'm looking for a blank to match the power and tip flex of my nrx852s jwr. It's my lake Ontario deep water DS pitching and dropping rod. How does the above Phenix compare?

Just finished 2 builds nfc 706 hm mirror black, built as a spinning jerbait build. I have build on 6 of these blanks. Broke 1 built as a casting on a hook set with a 5.98 smallmouth. Was informed the hm do brake easy.
I blame myself on this 1, I was using 14lb shooter with a 4.3 Kietech,I got a bit jacked just landed 4 smallies over 4.75lb so I was setting the hook with 2 hands and rotating at the waist of these set.
Also just finished a nfc 703 c602 nice blank, it needed sanding the ridges are vary high. Not fished it yet.
Also nfc 725 c602 as a casting. With a 22 aldebaran bfs paired it's total weight was 8.5 oz.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:48 pm

W W wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:44 pm

I'm looking for a blank to match the power and tip flex of my nrx852s jwr. It's my lake Ontario deep water DS pitching and dropping rod. How does the above Phenix compare?

Just finished 2 builds nfc 706 hm mirror black, built as a spinning jerbait build. I have build on 6 of these blanks. Broke 1 built as a casting on a hook set with a 5.98 smallmouth. Was informed the hm do brake easy.
I blame myself on this 1, I was using 14lb shooter with a 4.3 Kietech,I got a bit jacked just landed 4 smallies over 4.75lb so I was setting the hook with 2 hands and rotating at the waist of these set.
Also just finished a nfc 703 c602 nice blank, it needed sanding the ridges are vary high. Not fished it yet.
Also nfc 725 c602 as a casting. With a 22 aldebaran bfs paired it's total weight was 8.5 oz.

Great info
I’m sure that nrx 852 will be hard to replicate but someone may know something I don’t. I’d like to know what blank comes out to be a top contender though
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:13 pm

W W wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:44 pm

Entire k2 lineup is minimum a half power if not a full power lower than stated. someone on here did the RDA for the k2 764c and it came out to 387g which is ML-maybe lowest end of M territory. I build my finesse rods with the lower powered blanks and they’re solid. I have no experience with loomis rods so I can’t help you out with the comparison there sadly.

my bfs rod built on the k2 712s is lots of fun. coulda shaved another 10g(3/8oz) off if i didn’t use the matagi alu sk2 connector but I had it laying around and was never gonna use it otherwise. Side note if you ever wanna have the most fun in your entire life build a bfs rod with sz 3.5 torzite runners. Pure agony to wrap towards the tip.
Attachments
IMG_4053.jpeg
IMG_4053.jpeg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 656 times