Finding a cracked guide ring

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Finding a cracked guide ring

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:23 am

Does anyone have any advice about finding a cracked ring? I have an 842 with size 4.5 Torzites and my line keeps breaking randomly with very little pressure(lines used were 30lb 832 and 30lb 131). Replaced the stripper and the tip so far, but the problem persists. Breaks usually happens well outside the guide train. Line does not appear to have any abrasion and doesn’t look fuzzy, but can’t see it being anything else. Moved reel to a different rod and it was fine for a trip. Haven’t had a line break in years leading up to this, so it definitely points to the rod.

I’ve tried using a Q-tip and that doesn’t show anything. Any other tricks I’m missing before I replace the guides?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Finding a cracked guide ring

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 am

I'd say a good, old-fashioned magnifying glass and a bright flashlight would help. I use a small, lit magnifying glass with an articulating arm on my workbench now. My 50 yr old eyes just dont cooperate as well as they once did.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am

Run one of those precision carving knives around the rings to see if you hear a "tick"

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:11 pm

There are a few things I would check before replacing guides.

How old is the line?
Casting a heavy lure? Not breaking near that area of line correct?
Did the line get stuck on anything or rub on rocks lately?
If you are not seeing or feeling a crack my guess is its not your guides.

Can you try a different reel and line on the same rod?
Philippians 4:6

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:21 pm

Spinning or casting rod? If it is a spinner could the bail assembly that feeds the line onto the spool be the issue or have a rough spot? Have you tried line from a different spool to rule out a possible bad spool of line?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:39 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 am
I'd say a good, old-fashioned magnifying glass and a bright flashlight would help. I use a small, lit magnifying glass with an articulating arm on my workbench now. My 50 yr old eyes just dont cooperate as well as they once did.
Thanks Tim, I’ll give this a try. If you remember, this is the same rod and issue I had when you were down here last. Lost several Karashi this spring because of it. Used an 843 all summer/fall and recently went back to the 842 for the linethru after changing those 2 guides. Snap

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:40 pm

4g63power wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am
Run one of those precision carving knives around the rings to see if you hear a "tick"
Thanks, that sounds like it should work

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:48 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:11 pm
There are a few things I would check before replacing guides.

How old is the line?
Casting a heavy lure? Not breaking near that area of line correct?
Did the line get stuck on anything or rub on rocks lately?
If you are not seeing or feeling a crack my guess is its not your guides.

Can you try a different reel and line on the same rod?
Problem started with some old 832, swapped to 131 and the problem continues. Was using the larger Karashi (3/8oz) in the spring and my linethru(5/8oz) now in the fall. Breaks aren’t on hard backlashes, and I haven’t ever sent a lure flying with my line setup, including 1oz total weight chatterbaits. Breaks seem like they are happening just about anywhere along the length of line in use. No rocks, no structure around. I’ve had a cracked tip in the past, and my line frayed up a lot and it was obvious, but not this time. Definitely been strange and aggravating.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:49 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:21 pm
Spinning or casting rod? If it is a spinner could the bail assembly that feeds the line onto the spool be the issue or have a rough spot? Have you tried line from a different spool to rule out a possible bad spool of line?
It’s a casting setup. Checked the line guide on the reel too. Other half of the 150yd. spool is on another setup and no problems there. Used it all summer/fall.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:39 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 am
Thanks Tim, I’ll give this a try. If you remember, this is the same rod and issue I had when you were down here last. Lost several Karashi this spring because of it. Used an 843 all summer/fall and recently went back to the 842 for the linethru after changing those 2 guides. Snap
Yep, I remember you saying you had replaced a couple guides due to a suspected bad ring. Hope you get it resolved, dude.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:17 pm

You could try applying some grease or acrylic paint or something to the guides to see if you can spot an area that didn't wipe off easily.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:26 pm

Pantyhose - cut a strip and drag it through the guides 'too and fro' - the fine fabric will grab on the cracked surface.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:51 am

I think something with fuzz on it like a microfiber towel that you cut a strip off of--or like a piece of wool that you pull thru a guide might help you find something as well.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:21 am

I use a q-tip and rip the cotton apart so that is very fine (has to be dry!) and looks like a lolli pop. Then I slightly enter the guide and turn the q tip. Any damaged ring will usually catch the cotton of the q-tip

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:31 pm

I had this happen to me one time on my imx pro rod. Turn out to be to much epoxy on one of the guides and the epoxy ran down to the rings thus causing it to rub on the epoxy and would cut my line. Took a knife and rubbed on it and the residue fell off. Another time was where a ring was not centered and the line was rubbing on the guide frame it self. I was stunned to like you didn't know what was happening. Finally saw my tip top guide ring was not centered.