Power BFS Rod: Sierra or Rebellion?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Power BFS Rod: Sierra or Rebellion?

Post by JewFish61 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:49 pm

So, in another thread I had asked whether the Dobyns Sierra 682c would make a good power bfs rod for finesse jigs, small paddle tails and T-rigs, mini-max 1/4 oz chatterbait, 1/4-ounce squarebill, Lucky Craft Pointer 65, etc. Mostly for small pond near me with light cover. Got one positive reply. Rated 3/16 to 5/8. $80 lightly used.

Here’s the thing: I also have a shot at a Daiwa Rebellion ML casting rod (701MLRB, 1/8 to 1/2 ounce). $130 new (I think they’re phasing the Rebellion out?)

Extra $ for the Rebellion not a deal-breaker. I’m more wondering about its slightly lighter lure range compared to Sierra. Given what I’m throwing, which rod should I go with? Gonna pair it with it my Daiwa Tatula 70 or Curado MGL 70 until I get something a bit lighter (Aldebaran bfs?)

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Power BFS Rod: Sierra or Rebellion?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 am

For power BFS, I really like the Cashion Icon BFS 6'10 ML. Definitely a step up in power from the Sierra Series and gives me more confidence hooking into fish around cover.

Sierra is nice if fishing for mixed species like bass, bluegill, trout...all that.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:33 am

JewFish61 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:49 pm
So, in another thread I had asked whether the Dobyns Sierra 682c would make a good power bfs rod for finesse jigs, small paddle tails and T-rigs, mini-max 1/4 oz chatterbait, 1/4-ounce squarebill, Lucky Craft Pointer 65, etc. Mostly for small pond near me with light cover. Got one positive reply. Rated 3/16 to 5/8. $80 lightly used.

Here’s the thing: I also have a shot at a Daiwa Rebellion ML casting rod (701MLRB, 1/8 to 1/2 ounce). $130 new (I think they’re phasing the Rebellion out?)

Extra $ for the Rebellion not a deal-breaker. I’m more wondering about its slightly lighter lure range compared to Sierra. Given what I’m throwing, which rod should I go with? Gonna pair it with it my Daiwa Tatula 70 or Curado MGL 70 until I get something a bit lighter (Aldebaran bfs?)

Thoughts? Thanks!
Daiwa rods are mostly overrated. That MLRB is likely gonna fish to the top of the rating much better than the bottom rating. The Rebellion rods I've held have been tip heavy, as well. Not sure if balance matters to you, but a tip-heavy rod is almost always a deal breaker for me. That being said, I havent held that particular model.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

KSRonH
Angler
Angler

Post by KSRonH » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:42 am

I currently have both the Casion 6'10'' bfs rod and the Sierra 7' bfs rod. Like said the Cashion is definitely more powerful, I like the Sierra for panfish and prefer the Cashion for bass fishing. Another rod I have is the Old18 Buoyancy 7' light powered xf casting rod. That rod is rated 4 - 10 pound line and 3/16 to 3/8 oz lures. Although a little more pricy Old18 has less expensive lines and can usually be purchased at a discount. For me that rod is the bomb and worth your consideration. Too many options, LOL

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 pm

You want a power BFS rod, get a GLX 842. Best you can get right there.