2017 Tatula Elite Versus 2023 Version

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2017 Tatula Elite Versus 2023 Version

Post by daiwafan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:50 am

I recently acquired a 2023 version of the Tatula Elite Power Finesse 7-0 foot MMH rod designed by Brent Ehrler. I have two copies of the OG version of this rod and they have been a staple in my rod lineup since I acquired the first one of these in Feb 2017. Over the years I have caught hundreds of smallmouth from New River with this rod, and am very familiar with its action and sensitivity. The only possible fault was the silver color, of which I am not a particular fan.

When the 2023 version came out I remember looking at it briefly but decided that I really didn’t see it as an upgrade to the two I already have. Instead I acquired a Steez 6-9 “ Target Sniper” and later a Steez 7-0 “The Sensor” which I enjoy using very much. The only issue I have with either of these rods is the aluminum fore nut, which can get quite cold when you are fishing in the middle of winter. The handle on the Target Sniper is kinda short but I am nitpicking it a bit.

Well once the temperatures up here dropped back to freezing, I decided to drag the OG Finesse rod back out to use because at least my fingers enjoy the EVA versus aluminum fore nut. I once again enjoyed the rod but after fishing the Target Sniper, which is a MH, I wished it was a little more toward MH instead of M. I visited my favorite retail outlet and they happened to have a 2023 version of Elite. I picked it up and put a Tatula 80 on it and felt it, with the memory of the OG version fresh in my mind. The 2023 version felt different, it felt more powerful in the tip, and it felt different enough for me to decide to give it a try.

I spent 3 days over this past long weekend on the banks of New River and now I can say this rod is different in a good way. It is just slightly more toward the MH than M, although the model number is the same. I don’t know for sure but maybe it is the fact that this rod is not sanded, or painted, beyond the first guide. I have weighed the 2017 (125.1 grams) and the 2023 (111.8 grams) and the 2023 is lighter by around 11.9% and it just feels crisper in my hands.

So, if you have a 2017 Tatula Elite Finesse rod and want a version that is much lighter and even more powerful action, give the 2023 version a shot, You will not be disappointed.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2017 Tatula Elite Versus 2023 Version

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:10 pm

Awesome review, thank you for sharing!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:31 pm

Good review, thank you for posting. The blanks by themselves on the 23 Tatula Elite are a noticeable improvement, not to mention the significant silver (paint) reduction! The Air Sensor reel seats are very comfortable too. I've enjoyed the few 23 Elite rods I've had the pleasure to fish so far and plan on playing around with a few more in 2024.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:59 pm

Gary

The balance of the 2023 version of this rod with a Tatula 80 on it is fantastic. I find myself liking it more and more every time I fish it. Yesterday I fished an hour or so after work and had went 6 for 6 on tube hits with it.

Heck I think I actually like it better than either of the three 2021 Steez rods I have. It's certainly a keeper for me.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:41 pm

daiwafan wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:59 pm
Gary

The balance of the 2023 version of this rod with a Tatula 80 on it is fantastic. I find myself liking it more and more every time I fish it. Yesterday I fished an hour or so after work and had went 6 for 6 on tube hits with it.

Heck I think I actually like it better than either of the three 2021 Steez rods I have. It's certainly a keeper for me.
your last sentence caught my attention. you like the new tatulas better than the steez ags rods in what ways? could you expound on that?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:12 pm

I know this may go against normal convention, but because the 2023 Elite I am talking about balances better, I actually find it to feel as sensitive as either of the three 2021 Steez rods I own. That is not to say the Steez rods are not great because they are.
The Tatula Elite Power Finesse is great too.

So because it has a foam fore nut, which is a huge thing for me when the temps are near freezing, feels just as sensitive dragging tubes and jigs along the river bottom,I find myself liking it better.

nossuc242
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nossuc242 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:23 pm

Thank you for sharing specs and your experience with this rod. I also have a The Sensor but looking for a more powerful finesse stick to fish around heavier cover. The Sensor's been fine, but I've found more uses for it elsewhere. Was thinking on the JDM Expride 7'2 ML/H or the unicorn Glorious 6'11 ML/H. These are hard to obtain, so definitely will check this rod out in the spring.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:45 pm

Then 2023 Elite is slightly lighter in weight than the Sensor, just over 3 grams, but the action is heavier even though they are both 7 foot MMH rods.

I think you will like it and you can basically buy 2 of them for 1 Sensor.