Anyone have any recent experiences with NFC?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tarpontaper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Anyone have any recent experiences with NFC?

Post by tarpontaper » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:11 am

I have had a meltdown for the ages trying to get a 3 blank order from North Fork Composites, and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on getting blanks from them within the last few years? Most of the forum complaints are from 2019-2020, although the BBB page is full of 2023 complaints. I ordered 3 of their colored fly blanks in JUNE, for a fishing trip in August. Checked up on them later in June, September, October, then finally a week ago. Was responded to promptly the first 3 times, but the issue as explained over email was that they couldn't get the coloring for the rods. Then, for this most recent checkup in December, I was told that I had actually canceled my order in early JULY, BY PHONE, which they don't have any proof of and which is impossible. I was never sent any email, never given a refund, etc.. I obviously flipped out and got into it with 2 separate managers, who claimed in some heated exchanges with me that they were taking reponsibility for the "miscommunication" while continually suggesting I did indeed cancel the order over the phone. Got into a shouting match (over email), they are refusing to send the rods, and i'm still waiting for confirmation of a refund.

I guess this is a half-vent, half-warning, half-question. Obviously I'm venting because I waited 6 months for these, put up with several email exchanges, now have nothing to show for it, and the customer service was combative, to say the least. What you read about NFC in all the forums has absolutely come true for me. However, has anyone had any good recent experiences, or bad recent experiences? This truly has been wild, and 6 months out, it's still ongoing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone have any recent experiences with NFC?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:15 am

I think most people here wrote them off back in '21, after all the negative experiences back then. They make a great product, but can't seem to actually MAKE the product.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:59 am

I think the completed rod sales are up, and they make more money that way. Their rod building operation gets first dibs on blanks.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:56 am

I have had good luck with getting blanks from them with no issues, my issues have been with their completed products through edge.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:14 am

I have 57 NFC salmon and steelhead blanks (IM, HM, C6O2) I have purchased, all on sale, to build myself going back to October 2021. I have their carbon fiber grips purchased for most of them. I have bought ~$1500 worth of Fuji Torzite guides through them. I have had zero bad experiences. Yes, sometimes certain blanks take a while to receive. I have come to expect that and accept it.

Personally, I’d not consider ordering things from them with any sort of time crunch, regardless of how many months it may be in the future. Also, once you find which blanks you really like, buy more when they are on sale, so if you need to warranty a daily driver, you aren’t at the mercy of their manufacturing schedule, supplier’s schedule, or personnel’s schedule since c-vid.

I have noticed all over the internet that NFC doesn’t respond favorably to demands and/or harshness. They aren’t pushovers and don’t really care if that gets your goat or if you walk because of that. Take it for what it’s worth. Just how it is. Their way or the highway.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:19 am

I've had my ups and downs with NFC and Edge. They are a unique company dealing direct to consumer.

They do have some Customer Service issues but have always got is sorted.

Time tables are not good when dealing with NFC.

Alex has really done a great job improving the buying process. You have to realize, when you order a point blank from mud hole they have it in stock on the shelf. When you order a 736 it may be on a production schedule weeks away.

Long story short, if you're patient, willing to possibly deal with some customer service, you will get a great blank at a great price. 95% hassle free.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:16 pm

I just went through the Edge customer experience for a 2nd time (after waiting 6+ months (of no communication) for my early-adaptor Epitome back when it was released). Bought a regular Black Widow swimbait rod during their Black Friday sale, thinking they'll only sell rods they actually have, and found the same experience: order acknowledgement email, then a month of nothing. Send an email asking for status at the end of the year and didn't hear back. Sent a follow-up a week later and got a reply that the rod just got returned from manufacturing (so I guess it was made to order?) and that I'd get a shipping notification the next day, (which did indeed happen).

The rods are good, but you need to be prepared for going through that communication blackout period... every single time, I guess? I've only bought two Edge rods, and I'm 2/2.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:37 pm

My understanding is things aren’t made to order, per se. I understand it that they run more of a LEAN program. They may have some stock at times, but buying anything at sale time, I’d expect to wait. Regardless of what the order confirmation page says at the bottom. I treat it like a suppressor, forget about it until it’s approved (show’s up). If the rod or blank is a quick turnaround by chance, buy a lottery ticket the day it shows up!

W W
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by W W » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Most recent.
Ordered a mb725xray Lmx C602 & a sj703Lmx xray C602
They came to me in 2 weeks, both of the rods dad crooks in the last 3"s probably about 3/16 wip. Also the hadn't been sanded (high ridges).
I built finished rods with both blanks.
The MB725xray c602 is awesome 3.87 oz total weight build. 21ern

I've also built around 25 other nfc blanks.
Yes long lead times, as long as 8 weeks.
The shortest was 1 week. Average 4 weeks lead time.
3 out of 25 had crooked tips.
Some not sanded.

I still will continue to build on nfc I just about 7 of the models.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:09 am

Can confirm the C6O2 blanks are slightly ridged like the non Black Mirror polished X-ray blanks (seems less ridged than the Delta blanks I’ve seen, but I don’t have any to compare directly). All of the C6O2 blanks I have in my possession have slightly crooked tips (four 1143, two 993, two 933, one 764, two 725, two 703). The new 1303 X-ray tips show the same, I have two of those to build and plan to build more as both spiral wrapped baitcaster and centerpin styles 👍

W W
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by W W » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:09 am

DrTrevor
My c602 are vary heavily ridged, enough that the next 1 I get like this I will sand. I did a sample sanding under a rear grip with 380 grit after that I buffed it with a dremel it turned out mirror black.
Note my vary 1st sj736 xray had vary ridges, all others I've received were np.

Warren

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:37 am

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out? I was considering trying that myself.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:42 pm

I have numerous Edge rods I purchased from NFC. Some I waited a couple weeks to get...a couple took 3 months (Christmas sale). Sometimes you have to wait to get good stuff.

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:26 am

W W wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:52 pm
Most recent.
Ordered a mb725xray Lmx C602 & a sj703Lmx xray C602
They came to me in 2 weeks, both of the rods dad crooks in the last 3"s probably about 3/16 wip. Also the hadn't been sanded (high ridges).
I built finished rods with both blanks.
The MB725xray c602 is awesome 3.87 oz total weight build. 21ern

I've also built around 25 other nfc blanks.
Yes long lead times, as long as 8 weeks.
The shortest was 1 week. Average 4 weeks lead time.
3 out of 25 had crooked tips.
Some not sanded.

I still will continue to build on nfc I just about 7 of the models.
my C602 blank was crooked too. The production manager at NFC got back to me and said it is really hard to get the material perfectly straight near the tips, but it doesn't affect strength or any blank properties.

Additonally, I can echo what some others are saying about don't order if you need it right away. I have ordered many blanks within the past year, and yes, some came within 3 days, and one took 2 months (c602 steelhead), but I dont mind waiting since I bought during sale time. I had only one that came cracked, and the warranty replacement was easy and quick.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:35 am

Maybe they are just very busy doing other things…:
IMG_9873.png
IMG_9873.png (188.3 KiB) Viewed 40834 times