Megabass Destroyer P5 decision help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mousetank
Angler
Angler

Megabass Destroyer P5 decision help

Post by mousetank » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:50 pm

Good day everyone…

Looking to purchase my next destroyer p5 jdm rod. I’m teetering between the Killer Code and Tequila Baccarac. Looking for a rod to toss larger frogs (3/4oz to 1.6oz), Gantarel JRs, Vitalions, 6” magdrafts and other swimbaits. Plus heavier jigs and Texas rig plastics. Does anyone have experience with both these rods or have suggestions and thoughts on my 2 rods I’m looking at?

Appreciate all the help and suggestions.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Destroyer P5 decision help

Post by KP Duty » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:46 pm

I'm also considering the killer code for large topwater and magnum squarebill duties. Don't need a p5 caliber rod for these techniques, but the exchange rate has the p5's going for under $300 on several models. I'm looking to pick up a couple/few of what I consider niche models.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:40 pm

I agree. Don’t need a killer code for those techniques but with the price of them at the moment. Why not? :)
Few others I want to get as well. They’re $800 after tax here in Canada. At half the price from Japan. I can stomach that. Ha

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:43 am

Note, if you've never held the P5s be a little cautious if you have big hands.

The reel seat, grip, and butt caps, are TINY! I see why they are so light, the used no material haha.

Seriously awesome blanks, but I didn't like the components used. The buttcap on all but the Baccarat is the size of a .25c bouncy ball.