It’s 2023 so can we all now agree

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: It’s 2023 so can we all now agree

Post by LuS » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:01 am

Bass1980 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:05 am
if I can find some O-rings that last longer than a few months I'd take Daiwa's version. You can put the point of the hook in the loop or the bend of the hook in the bottom part. Also can just hook a DS weight easily without putting the actual hook on the keeper. I think part of the problem is storing my rods in the hot n humid rod lockers and staying on deck for 8hr tournaments that kills the O-rings. Went to hardware stores to buy O-rings and those didn't last even as long.
Try EPDM rubber O-rings; McMaster-Carr carries them and you’re looking at <$10 for a pack of 100. They’re designed to be temperature and humidity resistant and should have decent UV resistance too. Can’t vouch for their stretch (haven’t tried them around a rod) but they are among the most resistant o-ring material for the conditions around a rod.
Luca :)

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:47 pm
Oh and the numbed the area around the hook with yet another needle. They tried to get it out but the forceps kept slipping because the hook would twist so much so I started reaching for anything I could grab to help pull while they pushed.
Worst day imaginable

Oh but it gets worse. It was the new generation of staff and initially they suggested I recorded the removal ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Learn the line trick and never go to the hospital. The line trick is quicker, easier, less trauma than the doc will do, and save you a ton of money.

I get it, I had one in my face this year. Super scared at first. But going to the ER for a hook is a waisted of time and money.

Be back fishing before you even have the boat out of the water.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:58 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 am
goldrod wrote:
Oh and the numbed the area around the hook with yet another needle. They tried to get it out but the forceps kept slipping because the hook would twist so much so I started reaching for anything I could grab to help pull while they pushed.
Worst day imaginable

Oh but it gets worse. It was the new generation of staff and initially they suggested I recorded the removal ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Learn the line trick and never go to the hospital. The line trick is quicker, easier, less trauma than the doc will do, and save you a ton of money.

I get it, I had one in my face this year. Super scared at first. But going to the ER for a hook is a waisted of time and money.

Thanks brother I’ll definitely learn it for the future
I have a first aid bag in my travel vehicle and boat but it made me realize that I could use the line trick and continue fishing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:40 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Worst day imaginable

From the Legend Jimmy Houston:

https://youtu.be/6dRoOitxj8U?si=c9Gga6_AQjPW5wyh
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:30 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:40 am
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Worst day imaginable

From the Legend Jimmy Houston:

https://youtu.be/6dRoOitxj8U?si=c9Gga6_AQjPW5wyh
I'm trying to learn the line/hook removal trick because I've gone to the ER twice so far. (I got it out once myself.) The 2nd time I got hooked is fully captured on camera (not the removal, but me getting hooked and hiking back to the car for 30 minutes). I can't watch it, but you might :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq706l_i2wk

On that 2nd time they couldn't get the hook out the way it went in, the barb was just too good. So they rotated the hook the other way until it came out my finger a 2nd time, cut it below the barb, and then rotated the hook out the way it had gone in. I don't recommend that, even with numbing.

Edit One thing to remember, even if you remove the hook yourself: make sure you have up-to-date tetanus shots!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:51 pm

I continue to use the EZ keeper. I can put them where I see fit, and they have plenty of space to accommodate most everything. Aside from that, I think Kigan designed the best hook keeper... Like the one's ALX was using.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:24 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:51 pm
Aside from that, I think Kigan designed the best hook keeper... Like the one's ALX was using.
I have a couple rods that have either those Kigan keepers or a very close knockoff of them and they're by far my favourite. Just so easy to use, no matter what I have on.
Second would be the keepers on my Steez ags rods for similar reasons, although I would prefer them above the handle rather than below, but that's personal preference.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:24 am

LuS wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:01 am
Bass1980 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:05 am
if I can find some O-rings that last longer than a few months I'd take Daiwa's version. You can put the point of the hook in the loop or the bend of the hook in the bottom part. Also can just hook a DS weight easily without putting the actual hook on the keeper. I think part of the problem is storing my rods in the hot n humid rod lockers and staying on deck for 8hr tournaments that kills the O-rings. Went to hardware stores to buy O-rings and those didn't last even as long.
Try EPDM rubber O-rings; McMaster-Carr carries them and you’re looking at <$10 for a pack of 100. They’re designed to be temperature and humidity resistant and should have decent UV resistance too. Can’t vouch for their stretch (haven’t tried them around a rod) but they are among the most resistant o-ring material for the conditions around a rod.
I'll order some. Thank you.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:38 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:02 pm
I'm all for the screw down zip tie, or if I could get my hands on the Prox keeper's...
Samurai tackle has them that’s where I get mine and they have a great selection of Osprey too