Versatile cranking rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bass raider
Angler
Angler

Versatile cranking rod

Post by Bass raider » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:51 am

Looking for a fairly versatile crankbait rod. I mainly bank fish but occasionally get in the boat with my father in law. I throw a bunch of DT6, DT8, kvd 1.5, bandit 200, bomber 4A, 3xd, 1/2oz super spot and traps, and when I go with my FIL we throw kvd 2.5, 5xd, and 6xd. I’m trying to stay under $250 and preferably graphite. Not a fan of glass. Anyone have experience with the Tatula 7’2” med regular? Kind of considering that one but know nothing about it and don’t know if it would have enough “give”. What other rods should I consider? Thanks

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Versatile cranking rod

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:37 pm

I have an expride 7' glass (not your typical glass rod) and a St. Croix tourney 7'4 MH MF for mid/deep divers. Both are around your price point. Especially with a sale at TW or ALF. Good luck!
Philippians 4:6

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:44 pm

What type line do you intend to use mostly?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Bass raider
Angler
Angler

Post by Bass raider » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:04 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:44 pm
What type line do you intend to use mostly?
12 and 14lb sniper fc is what I’ll use 99% of the time.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:35 pm

That is a very wide range of baits and weights for one rod...still, at $250 or less I would consider the new Fenwick Elite Cranking casting rods as there is an extensive lineup on this model.

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:41 pm

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/13_Fish ... CRHDF.html
I like the 7'4" and use it for any moving bait. The lure range is 1/4oz to 1 1/2oz, and it handles the whole range well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:46 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:41 pm
I like the 7'4" and use it for any moving bait. The lure range is 1/4oz to 1 1/2oz, and it handles the whole range well.
Good stuff right there and lots of excellent user reviews.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:32 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:46 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Good stuff right there and lots of excellent user reviews.
And they're cheap, $80+-, so I can afford more setups that work.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:55 pm

Yeppers, ain't nuttin' wrong with that!

Bass raider
Angler
Angler

Post by Bass raider » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:02 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Would you take one of those over a Duckett JW signature series?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:56 pm

Bass raider wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:02 pm
mark poulson wrote:
I've never fished that rod, but I've fished a lot of rods.
To me, a rod is just a tool. If it does the job I want it to, I'm happy.
The 13Fishing Defy crank rod throws any moving bait I have between 1/4oz and 1 1/2oz smoothly and accurately. It lets me set the hook (braid with fluoro leader) at distance, bends to keep fish pegged, and is strong enough to swing fish up to 4lbs. Above that I use a net. The biggest bass I've caught on that rod is a 8lb largemouth on a 1.5 crankbait that I hooked in shallow grass, horsed out into deeper water, and finally netted in the middle of the channel. It kept coming up and shaking it's head, and then surging down away from the boat, and I would keep bringing it back up to the boat. Finally, after half a dozen runs, it tired and came to the net. The treble hook never came loose, and I had to use pliers to get it out.
I've caught fish to 7 1/2lbs on a chatterbait, and lots of nice spinnerbait fish. I fish swimbaits through the tulles with it, and have no problem pulling fish out of them. I've thrown jerkbaits with it, and walk the dog top waters, too. I've even pitched weightless senkos with it.
For me, it is a very versatile rod, and does everything I ask to do.

Bass raider
Angler
Angler

Post by Bass raider » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:00 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:56 pm
Bass raider wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:02 pm
mark poulson wrote:
I've never fished that rod, but I've fished a lot of rods.
To me, a rod is just a tool. If it does the job I want it to, I'm happy.
The 13Fishing Defy crank rod throws any moving bait I have between 1/4oz and 1 1/2oz smoothly and accurately. It lets me set the hook (braid with fluoro leader) at distance, bends to keep fish pegged, and is strong enough to swing fish up to 4lbs. Above that I use a net. The biggest bass I've caught on that rod is a 8lb largemouth on a 1.5 crankbait that I hooked in shallow grass, horsed out into deeper water, and finally netted in the middle of the channel. It kept coming up and shaking it's head, and then surging down away from the boat, and I would keep bringing it back up to the boat. Finally, after half a dozen runs, it tired and came to the net. The treble hook never came loose, and I had to use pliers to get it out.
I've caught fish to 7 1/2lbs on a chatterbait, and lots of nice spinnerbait fish. I fish swimbaits through the tulles with it, and have no problem pulling fish out of them. I've thrown jerkbaits with it, and walk the dog top waters, too. I've even pitched weightless senkos with it.
For me, it is a very versatile rod, and does everything I ask to do.
Wow. Thank you! This rod is definitely at the top of my list now.