What Questions would you have for a new rod company

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What Questions would you have for a new rod company

Post by Hulkster » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:25 pm

Are you using SeaGuide reel seats?

if so, you suck :lol:

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:09 pm

Im surprised no body has asked to be a tackle tester

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:18 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:25 pm
Are you using SeaGuide reel seats?

if so, you suck :lol:
ROTFLMAO
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:21 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:49 am
I'm addition...since I have seen so many promising and excellent American rod/blank companies go belly up or become not even a shadow of what they originally were, to include Warrior Rods, Shikari, All-Star, Castaway, Rogue...

What is your intended time frame for existence and legacy? What do you have built into your business strategy and assets, that will assure and ensure that you will be viable and competitive in the market for more than just a few years?

Also, do you intend to keep your products at the same level or better, and have a culture of continued growth and advancement, or will your company go the route of high volume sales by cheapening your product after the initial first few years have allowed you to gain a following?
I think the owners head might explode lol

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:23 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:21 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:49 am
I'm addition...since I have seen so many promising and excellent American rod/blank companies go belly up or become not even a shadow of what they originally were, to include Warrior Rods, Shikari, All-Star, Castaway, Rogue...

What is your intended time frame for existence and legacy? What do you have built into your business strategy and assets, that will assure and ensure that you will be viable and competitive in the market for more than just a few years?

Also, do you intend to keep your products at the same level or better, and have a culture of continued growth and advancement, or will your company go the route of high volume sales by cheapening your product after the initial first few years have allowed you to gain a following?
I think the owners head might explode lol
Lol, yeppers bro...this said, these are serious questions.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:32 am

For a made in US company:
How do you expect me to pay a premium price when all you use is a ECS, plain cork and no custom trim parts + apply your decals with half a cups worth of an epoxy blob that can be mistaken for a foregrip.

Jokes aside, given the rod already caught me eye so it’s decent designed and custom looking, it’s about the internal values:
I’d ask for deflection curves and a RoD chart to assess if the actions and powers are to my liking. Also materials used if not stated.

I doubt any company would honestly tell me where to put the sensitivity and weight - power ratio on a spectrum when asked. “Nah they’re not even close to NRX, rather Zodias, but we still charge 450!”
Also warranty and warranty-claim ratios. How thick is the blanks wall? Is it fragile? Yeah, as if they’d tell the truth…

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:32 am
For a made in US company:
How do you expect me to pay a premium price when all you use is a ECS, plain cork and no custom trim parts + apply your decals with half a cups worth of an epoxy blob that can be mistaken for a foregrip.

Jokes aside, given the rod already caught me eye so it’s decent designed and custom looking, it’s about the internal values:
I’d ask for deflection curves and a RoD chart to assess if the actions and powers are to my liking. Also materials used if not stated.

I doubt any company would honestly tell me where to put the sensitivity and weight - power ratio on a spectrum when asked. “Nah they’re not even close to NRX, rather Zodias, but we still charge 450!”
Also warranty and warranty-claim ratios. How thick is the blanks wall? Is it fragile? Yeah, as if they’d tell the truth…
It's proprietary bro

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:55 pm

Will you sponsor me despite having no idea who I am? (Just kidding)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 pm

Haha good stuff fellas.