New US Market Poison Ultima

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New US Market Poison Ultima

Post by Dan B » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:21 pm

Well I just ordered one... as always contributing to the TackleTrap retirement fund. Paid for 2 day so should have by end of week.
I ordered the 7'0 ML Spinning. Being a smallie guy I figured that's the one that I will get the most benefit/enjoyment. I eyeballed the casting rods, but honestly couldn't make it reasonable in my head that it would really benefit me over the P5s that I own (i.e. Dark Sleeper, X-bites, FMJ). However, a dedicated dropshot / ned rod I could always use another on the deck. I feel it will fill a small hole in my spinning setups and provide good info in comparison to other high end rods on the market.

I have a few reels to try on it and see what fits best, but I could almost guarantee my 2023 Vanquish 2500S is going to be the deal. I have an Exsence, but I think that's going to be too much reel for the rod. The Vanquish model I have I'm pretty sure is something like 5.8oz. I haven't seen any weights on the rods yet, but I would bet I'll end up with a combo approaching the 7oz mark.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:37 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:21 pm
Well I just ordered one... as always contributing to the TackleTrap retirement fund. Paid for 2 day so should have by end of week.
I ordered the 7'0 ML Spinning. Being a smallie guy I figured that's the one that I will get the most benefit/enjoyment. I eyeballed the casting rods, but honestly couldn't make it reasonable in my head that it would really benefit me over the P5s that I own (i.e. Dark Sleeper, X-bites, FMJ). However, a dedicated dropshot / ned rod I could always use another on the deck. I feel it will fill a small hole in my spinning setups and provide good info in comparison to other high end rods on the market.

I have a few reels to try on it and see what fits best, but I could almost guarantee my 2023 Vanquish 2500S is going to be the deal. I have an Exsence, but I think that's going to be too much reel for the rod. The Vanquish model I have I'm pretty sure is something like 5.8oz. I haven't seen any weights on the rods yet, but I would bet I'll end up with a combo approaching the 7oz mark.
Honesty, the lighter spinning rods will likely be the most beneficial. Smaller diameter, thinner blanks are most always more sensitive and versatile, especially considering how stiff and crisp these blanks probably are.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:37 pm
Honesty, the lighter spinning rods will likely be the most beneficial. Smaller diameter, thinner blanks are most always more sensitive and versatile, especially considering how stiff and crisp these blanks probably are.
Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. Going to be comparing it to several rods, but it will be really interesting to see how it stands up to the Steez AGS 7'6, NRX+ 852, 2016 Addermine, and P5 Windbuster. All are sensitive, but each has a different feel on a bite. I'm sure the Ultima will be the lightest, but I'll see what's more comfortable in hand to fish with, how the Ultima casts/fishes, and if all this tech they have in the rod is tangible.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:05 am

Dan B wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:25 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:37 pm
Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. Going to be comparing it to several rods, but it will be really interesting to see how it stands up to the Steez AGS 7'6, NRX+ 852, 2016 Addermine, and P5 Windbuster. All are sensitive, but each has a different feel on a bite. I'm sure the Ultima will be the lightest, but I'll see what's more comfortable in hand to fish with, how the Ultima casts/fishes, and if all this tech they have in the rod is tangible.
Please let me know your observations and thoughts if ya don't mind.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 am

Dan B wrote:
I ordered the 7'0 ML Spinning.
:lol: Thank you!!!

I haven't fished with this one yet, so very curious on your thoughts and comparisons.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:22 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 am
Dan B wrote:

I haven't fished with this one yet, so very curious on your thoughts and comparisons.
I'll write a little more later when I have more time, but after coming back from the pond I had to just say one thing:
This rod craps all over my NRX+/Steez rods... literally next level. I haven't held a rod that has impressed me this much since the 2016 Addermine.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:57 pm

Dan B wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:22 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 am
Dan B wrote:

I'll write a little more later when I have more time, but after coming back from the pond I had to just say one thing:
This rod craps all over my NRX+/Steez rods... literally next level. I haven't held a rod that has impressed me this much since the 2016 Addermine.
I had a feeling you were going to say that. Shimano makes some of the best blanks in the business, and it sounds like they just raised the bar. Just so much money!

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:28 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:57 pm
I had a feeling you were going to say that. Shimano makes some of the best blanks in the business, and it sounds like they just raised the bar. Just so much money!
I might order another one

If I do I might as well sell some of my other rods because I won't even bother fishing them

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:27 pm

Dan B wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:28 pm
I might order another one

If I do I might as well sell some of my other rods because I won't even bother fishing them
I’m interested to hear your opinion on how it would perform as a dedicated drop shot rod and what the taper is like.

I haven’t been this excited about a rod in a while. But this one checks all the boxes except price and warranty. That’s the only thing holding me back right now. I’ve never broken a rod but for $900 I would think you would get more than a 1 year warranty

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:36 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:27 pm
I’m interested to hear your opinion on how it would perform as a dedicated drop shot rod and what the taper is like.

I haven’t been this excited about a rod in a while. But this one checks all the boxes except price and warranty. That’s the only thing holding me back right now. I’ve never broken a rod but for $900 I would think you would get more than a 1 year warranty
I caught two on a dropshot last night at the pond (4.5 fat straight robo + 3/16 weight)... bomb casts out of a 7' rod and I mean it freaking launches the bait. The action reminds me of Steez AGS / P5 rods. You get that fast tip you expect for nice, accurate casts... but once you load into one that sucker bends deep into the blank if you push the rod. And I'm talking I had it bending slightly between the 1st and 2nd guide horsing a 3lb-er a little bit.

Another good note, the balance is IMPECCABLE! If you look at the grip it has that little swell before it ends. With a 23 Vanquish 2500S it balances tip up right where that swell starts. It's extremely comfortable to fish with a loose grip because you're not fighting the weight and the rod tip, just float in your hand.
I'll hopefully get a weight on the entire setup once I can find my scale in the kitchen.

I agree the warranty is BS.
Last edited by Dan B on Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:39 am

Another side note: I've seen people in some vidz (especially iCast stuff) say they thought the ML felt like a ML+... I don't think so at all. I think they were fooled by the crispness of the blank. Once you fish it, it feels like a true ML. Will have to see what size dropshot weight starts to push the rod too much.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:01 pm

Dan B wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:39 am
Another side note: I've seen people in some vidz (especially iCast stuff) say they thought the ML felt like a ML+... I don't think so at all. I think they were fooled by the crispness of the blank. Once you fish it, it feels like a true ML. Will have to see what size dropshot weight starts to push the rod too much.
That's what a great rod should feel like. You saying you might as well sell your other high end rods cause you won't use them is not helping by the way lol!

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:17 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:01 pm
That's what a great rod should feel like. You saying you might as well sell your other high end rods cause you won't use them is not helping by the way lol!
It's almost dumb how sensitive it is... I was swinging on bluegill last night like an idiot lol. NRX+ can suck it, they aren't the gold standard anymore.

Only reason I will keep my NRX+ 852 is for the lifetime warranty... it's the rod to do all the dumb stuff on with minimal risks, lol

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:12 pm

Dan B wrote:
Yeah I heard the same thing and that’s what was giving me reservations about the rod. That’s the same reason I haven’t tried any of the new Exprides because people were saying those are running a half to a full power higher.

This rod would be a dedicated drop shot rod for me so I wanted a true ML with the correct taper. It sounds like it will fit the bill perfectly. Hopefully I can catch one on sale when the holidays come up. That’s if I can manage to wait that long

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:04 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:12 pm
Dan B wrote:
Yeah I heard the same thing and that’s what was giving me reservations about the rod. That’s the same reason I haven’t tried any of the new Exprides because people were saying those are running a half to a full power higher.

This rod would be a dedicated drop shot rod for me so I wanted a true ML with the correct taper. It sounds like it will fit the bill perfectly. Hopefully I can catch one on sale when the holidays come up. That’s if I can manage to wait that long
I was lucky enough to be loaded up on a 7 pounder today, using my JDM 6'10" Medium. 20 feet of clear water, dove into the weeds, we were at a stalemate for a couple minutes with a fully bent rod... The rod definitely felt like a Medium power in that circumstance, not like a heavier power. But these rods ARE very crisp, which I don't necessarily love on lighter "feel" baits - transmission starts feeling super raw and unfiltered. The tip is very sensitive, but not very subtle.

I haven't quite had "I won't touch my NRXs anymore" moments :) I just like the rod's sensitivity a lot.