Daiwa Steez AGS 72M (moving bait versatile)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Steez AGS 72M (moving bait versatile)

Post by Jrob » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:32 pm

Seeking information on this rod from people who have good time in with the rod please. I am thinking of getting one as a versatile moving bait, 3/8 oz chatterbait/spinner bait, weightless senko, fluke, jerkbait, 1/4oz pegged T-rig, topwater, inshore etc…..

Lmk what you use your for and what you like/dislike please. Thank you.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez AGS 72M (moving bait versatile)

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:52 am

Jrob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:32 pm
Seeking information on this rod from people who have good time in with the rod please. I am thinking of getting one as a versatile moving bait, 3/8 oz chatterbait/spinner bait, weightless senko, fluke, jerkbait, 1/4oz pegged T-rig, topwater, inshore etc…..

I haven’t owned mine long enough to have an expert opinion on this rod, but I’ve had it long enough to know I don’t regret the purchase. I usually bring an MBR-style rod for mixed topwater/cranking/moving bait/some-bottom-contact duty (I have multiple rods along that vector, 843 GLX, Zbone 733 LMH, Epitome 7’2” MH, Phenix K2 714), and the MBV has taken that spot for now.

It feels a bit more moderate than those MBRs, and a bit softer, so my preferred use are spinnerbaits, swim jigs, chatterbaits, poppers and smaller straight-retrieve topwaters (Mikey Jr etc.) It does very well as long as it’s in the 1/4-3/8 range, even through some light vegetation.

For the other uses you describe it’s a serviceable high-end rod. Weightless senkos: yeah, but a bit too heavy and slow. Flukes: yeah, but I prefer the Steez Universal Light. Jerkbaits: yeah, but a bit too long and heavy IMO. T-rig: yeah, but a bit too slow. I wouldn’t take the MBV as my primary rod for any of these uses, but I’d tie on those baits if I found myself on a bite and didn’t have a dedicated rod with me.

Keep in mind that I haven’t thrown a bunch of those secondary baits a lot yet, it’s first impressions after maybe 10 trips. Maybe somebody with more experience will chime in.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:28 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:52 am
Jrob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:32 pm

I haven’t owned mine long enough to have an expert opinion on this rod, but I’ve had it long enough to know I don’t regret the purchase. I usually bring an MBR-style rod for mixed topwater/cranking/moving bait/some-bottom-contact duty (I have multiple rods along that vector, 843 GLX, Zbone 733 LMH, Epitome 7’2” MH, Phenix K2 714), and the MBV has taken that spot for now.

It feels a bit more moderate than those MBRs, and a bit softer, so my preferred use are spinnerbaits, swim jigs, chatterbaits, poppers and smaller straight-retrieve topwaters (Mikey Jr etc.) It does very well as long as it’s in the 1/4-3/8 range, even through some light vegetation.

For the other uses you describe it’s a serviceable high-end rod. Weightless senkos: yeah, but a bit too heavy and slow. Flukes: yeah, but I prefer the Steez Universal Light. Jerkbaits: yeah, but a bit too long and heavy IMO. T-rig: yeah, but a bit too slow. I wouldn’t take the MBV as my primary rod for any of these uses, but I’d tie on those baits if I found myself on a bite and didn’t have a dedicated rod with me.

Keep in mind that I haven’t thrown a bunch of those secondary baits a lot yet, it’s first impressions after maybe 10 trips. Maybe somebody with more experience will chime in.
Very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Sounds very versatile. Anyone else?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:46 pm

Good stuff Drakestar...thanks for taking the time to expound.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:33 am

What size jerkbaits do you plan to throw?

I have the Utility Player that's more powerful but it feels good throwing those 3/8-1/2 oz chatterbaits and spinnerbaits, and it feels good with a Lucky Crafter Pointer 100. It's also a fantastic Senko and 1/4-5/16 oz Texas rig.

If you're throwing a smaller jerkbait like a 78sp, then it's likely too much rod.