Ned Rod choices - P5 / NRX+ / AGS

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ned Rod choices - P5 / NRX+ / AGS

Post by Dan B » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:21 am

To preface this, I'm just interested in info via people that have used these specific rods. I have room for one more spinning rod in my collection, and I have versions from each model line already which is why I'm choosing between these. I will probably use it for other things, but the main focus is ned rig so I can free up other rods like my Steez AGS 7'6 MML that I want to use for other things.

1) P5 Destroyer Baby Plugging: This would supply some added length, but have heard the tip overloads with 1/10 neds... which is weird as the rod is coveted by people throwing okishira heads on it. Unless they sticking to 1/16 on this rod and throwing the 1/8 + 3" spark shad on another rod. My Windbuster is a great rod so I figured this option should be on the list.

2) NRX+ 6'10 NNR: From what I can find this rod has a good time and kicks into the backbone really quick. Have heard that past 1/10oz heads really starts to overload this rod. Supposed to be great double duty rod for 2.8 keitechs

3) Steez AGS 6'10 Light: This is honestly the one that peaked my interested the most as I love my 7'6 MML... but there is absolutely zero YT vids on it and very minimal convos in forums about the rod.

4) Steez AGS 7'0 ML: Happy medium on length, don't know anything about the tip and how deep the blank bends into the rod. I know the 6'10 Light is supposed to have a TI tip section and be a little faster than this rod.

Honestly if I can't make a decision at some point I might pick up a different model for other techniques and maybe make my 2016 Addermine pull Ned duty fulltime.

Thanks in advance... hasn't had a hard time making a choice on a rod in a while. Don't know if it's worth even going full dedicated into a ned specific rod, however the rod will have one on it most of the time so figured why not.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ned Rod choices - P5 / NRX+ / AGS

Post by Dan B » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:23 am

Bronzefly - I expect at least one response from you, lol

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:37 pm

Of these rods, I only have the 821 NRR, and I'll say that - in my hands - it does not feel overloaded past 1/10oz. I've gone all the way to throwing 5" FattyZ worms on 3/16 heads on this rod, and while that was most definitely pushing it, it was a good enough experience to prevent me from rigging up a heavier rod instead (I was too busy catching fish :lol:). 3/16 with a regular Ned worm isn't an issue for me on this rod.

All this depends a bit on the material of the Ned worm, as well. Super buoyant worms like Elaztech help make the overall bait fish lighter than it is. Not-super-buoyant and heavier worms like a Lil' General or a Roboworm Ned worm feel heavier when fished and might require a lighter head.

Curious about the Steez L and ML rods as well, but I've never handled them. I've used the 7'6" MML for long-distance Neds and the 6'9" Universal Light for power finesse (that's my actual go-to rod for those 5" FattyZ worms). Based on those experiences, I feel like the 7" ML should be a good rod for regular Neds, while the L rod is a big mystery indeed. Based on the TT Sensor review, SMT supposedly helps with seeing deflection better than improving the felt sensitivity. That might be useful for light Neds in that 1/10 range.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:51 am

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:37 pm
Of these rods, I only have the 821 NRR, and I'll say that - in my hands - it does not feel overloaded past 1/10oz. I've gone all the way to throwing 5" FattyZ worms on 3/16 heads on this rod, and while that was most definitely pushing it, it was a good enough experience to prevent me from rigging up a heavier rod instead (I was too busy catching fish :lol:). 3/16 with a regular Ned worm isn't an issue for me on this rod.

All this depends a bit on the material of the Ned worm, as well. Super buoyant worms like Elaztech help make the overall bait fish lighter than it is. Not-super-buoyant and heavier worms like a Lil' General or a Roboworm Ned worm feel heavier when fished and might require a lighter head.

Curious about the Steez L and ML rods as well, but I've never handled them. I've used the 7'6" MML for long-distance Neds and the 6'9" Universal Light for power finesse (that's my actual go-to rod for those 5" FattyZ worms). Based on those experiences, I feel like the 7" ML should be a good rod for regular Neds, while the L rod is a big mystery indeed. Based on the TT Sensor review, SMT supposedly helps with seeing deflection better than improving the felt sensitivity. That might be useful for light Neds in that 1/10 range.
I only use Z-Man plastics when NED rigging so the NRX+ could be a possibility for sure.

I too am very curious about the Steez rods. My 7'6 MML has been an absolute dream to use for so many techniques... I just hope the other rods can be just as good.

I also thought about just going with the 7'1 ML, but I think that rod has a deeper bend into the blank. The 6'10 L I think is supposed to be closer to an XF which would give me the tip I'm looking for I think. Just sucks I don't have places around me that carry these rods so I can go check them out.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:33 am

Dan B wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:23 am
I've been fishing neds on the Steez AGS 610L "The Ned" quite a bit. It certainly is an extra fast action and it makes shaking a ned to get that wobble very easy. Both the sensitivity and the visual bite detection characteristics of this rod are spot on. The length I find very comfortable for both utility and getting good distance. Anyone looking for a high end, Ned specific rod should be very happy with this option.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:51 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:33 am
Dan B wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:23 am
I've been fishing neds on the Steez AGS 610L "The Ned" quite a bit. It certainly is an extra fast action and it makes shaking a ned to get that wobble very easy. Both the sensitivity and the visual bite detection characteristics of this rod are spot on. The length I find very comfortable for both utility and getting good distance. Anyone looking for a high end, Ned specific rod should be very happy with this option.
Now I want to try one even though I have the NRR :lol: What's the perceived upper limit of this rod? (The documented weight range is 1/32 - 5/16oz, similar to the NRR.)

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:45 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:51 am
Now I want to try one even though I have the NRR :lol: What's the perceived upper limit of this rod? (The documented weight range is 1/32 - 5/16oz, similar to the NRR.)
I've fished up to 9g total weight on the Steez "The Ned" and that's the upper limit for me. That weight puts a slight but noticeable flex in the extra fast tip, but doesn't overweigh it so much that it negatively impacts fishability. 5g to 7g is what I consider in the zone and where this rod really shines. It is without a doubt my favorite Ned rig rod. Go for it, I think you'll really enjoy this one if you like Ned fishing!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:30 pm

Phenix classic bfs rods are getting high praise from several folks...I'd check them out. They look a lot like the p5 imo.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phenix_ ... PFBFS.html

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:57 am

KP Duty wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:30 pm
Phenix classic bfs rods are getting high praise from several folks...I'd check them out. They look a lot like the p5 imo.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phenix_ ... PFBFS.html
just saw that they make a spinning version of this rod (dumb name for them unless BFS stands for something other than bait finesse system!) they do look intriguing, the 7'1" light extra fast has been something i have been looking at from other companies as a rod for a 2.6" swimbait on a 1/16th or 3/32nd jig, might have to try one out!

as for the OP i would personally wait for the P5 flyssa, i had the old one till it broke and it was way better in my hands than the baby plugging, not that the baby plugging is a bad rod its just no flyssa!

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:45 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:45 am
Drakestar wrote:
I've fished up to 9g total weight on the Steez "The Ned" and that's the upper limit for me. That weight puts a slight but noticeable flex in the extra fast tip, but doesn't overweigh it so much that it negatively impacts fishability. 5g to 7g is what I consider in the zone and where this rod really shines. It is without a doubt my favorite Ned rig rod. Go for it, I think you'll really enjoy this one if you like Ned fishing!
I finally got my hands on this rod (AGS the Ned) and it is amazing! The SMT tip imparts amazing action on the NED rig without effort. It’s light action but has some power to it. Some people drive a Volkswagen , some drive Ferrari. If you want the Ferrari of NED rods look no further. I love mine!

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:36 pm

Jrob wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:45 am
bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:45 am
Drakestar wrote:
I finally got my hands on this rod (AGS the Ned) and it is amazing! The SMT tip imparts amazing action on the NED rig without effort. It’s light action but has some power to it. Some people drive a Volkswagen , some drive Ferrari. If you want the Ferrari of NED rods look no further. I love mine!
How do you think it would serve as a lighter drop shot rod using primarily 1/8oz weights and smaller 2-3" plastics?

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:21 pm

Only rod I have experience with is the NRX+

90% of my Ned fishing is 1/10oz with typical TRD sized bait. The other 10% is 1/15oz if for whatever reason I want that slower sink. I don't believe in the 1/6 or 1/5 and will just go with a 1/8 shakeyhead or 3/16 trig on a different rod at that point. For the 1/10 and 1/15 and 3ish inch bait, the NRX+ is a dream come true. I bought mine from someone here who bought 2 right after it came out when it was sold out when I was in the middle of a scorching hot ned bite in 2021. I had already caught well over 500 ned fish in a couple weeks, and put another 500+ fish on this rod. This rod fished them much more comfortably than the NRX SYR I was using and was the 2nd rod to join what I now call my trifecta of perfect rods along with the 893c and 903c.

In addition to the ned, I've found this rod is absolutely killer for 1/16 to 1/8 jighead for up to 3.3 inch swimbaits. As a warning, even something like a 1/8oz flashy swimmer and a 3.3 keitech feels a bit overloaded to me. A jighead nobody ever mentions but I like is the zman finesse swimbait head in 1/12oz. It pairs perfectly with the 3inch easy shiner and it is imo perfectly suited for this rod. Obviously whatever ball or shad style jighead and whatever bait you like is gonna do the job. Also be warned, though this rod does load into a nice backbone, fishing something weedless like the flashy swimmer, I did miss/lose some fish it felt like I shouldn't have where I guess I just wasn't getting good hook penetration. This wasn't the only rod that could have done it but I was regularly catching 10-12 fish a day on tiny swimbaits at a lake last year when other guys were struggling to pick up 2-3. In a lake where fish normally prefer bottom contact but suddenly get keyed on tiny bait at the surface when the wind picks up and everyone else gives up and goes home, I'm real happy I have this rod.

Oldschool bait, but I also found success fishing the 3" sluggo either nose hooked if I could get away with it or on a tiny #4 wide gap hook in grassy spots if necessary. If anyone knows this bait, you know it's like casting air. This rod casts it better than any rod I've ever owned. I hadn't pulled this bait out in years but the conditions were right last spring/summer and this rod was the MVP that helped me have a really nice bite for weeks on a lake where nobody else was catching anything.

Last but not least, fantastic trout/multispecies rod since it handles any total weight 1/16 to 3/16 range delightfully and does just fine at the top end with 1/8+plastic.

tldr; As a 1/10 and 1/15 ned rod, I really can't imagine something being better. I'm over 1000 fish in with a small handful of 5+lb fish (nothing over 6 yet) just on the ned. The rod also fills some other niches and brought me some fantastic success on 2 lakes that only have shore access and are not known for producing meaningful numbers. Also, trout and stuff.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Jrob wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:45 am
I had $300 in gift certificates at a store and decided to get an AGS The Ned, and man it’s a fun(ky) rod. That solid tip is super soft and creates a unique feeling. I fished a 1/8oz head with a 3 inch worm in 15-18 feet of water and felt like I had bottom contact all the time (even when I couldn’t feel any scraping sensations). The tip is so fast and subtle that just putting the bait back in the holder often feels like you're high-sticking (but the tip won’t break, even though you’re effortlessly/accidentally putting a 180” bend into it).

Unfortunately (well, not really, it was awesome) the fish were keyed in on jigs today and I didn’t hook into any big ones on my Ned worms, I just caught a few smaller ones around 1lbs or less. Would have loved fighting a 4 pounder on the AGS Ned rod to get that experience, but that class of fish were going for my jig only.

Compared to the 821 NRR, “The Ned” feels significantly lighter in my hands. I don’t think I’d want to throw a 3/16oz head on the AGS rod, and 1/8+worm felt like a comfortable upper limit (that’s a total of 0.32oz/9 grams, a similar weight to what Gary mentioned). Meanwhile, I feel like the NRR can handle 3/16 no problem. The NRR feels more universal while the AGS rod feels like a specialized Ned rod only.
Craiger12 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:36 pm
How do you think it would serve as a lighter drop shot rod using primarily 1/8oz weights and smaller 2-3" plastics?
Having fished this rod today, I don’t think I’d ever want to dropshot on it. It just doesn’t have that action and the solid tip is way too soft. I think you’d want the Finesse Game Special to do double Ned/DS duty.

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:17 pm

Maybe I'm the outlier but I like long rods for my Ned rigs. A 7'4" is the shortest rod for Neds I have used over the last 5 years (741 Champ HP) and mostly 7'6"s (Steez). Most of my fishing is Great Lakes where long fights with plenty of deep water is the norm where I just let the fish tire itself out. Having the longer rod is great for leverage when fighting the fish. I see guys recommending the 821 NRX+ or the 7' ML Steez but I question how I'm going to feel about the 6"-10" shorter rod. Anyone else struggle with this?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:49 am

Junk Fisherman wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:17 pm
Maybe I'm the outlier but I like long rods for my Ned rigs. A 7'4" is the shortest rod for Neds I have used over the last 5 years (741 Champ HP) and mostly 7'6"s (Steez). Most of my fishing is Great Lakes where long fights with plenty of deep water is the norm where I just let the fish tire itself out. Having the longer rod is great for leverage when fighting the fish. I see guys recommending the 821 NRX+ or the 7' ML Steez but I question how I'm going to feel about the 6"-10" shorter rod. Anyone else struggle with this?
I like a longer rod for Ned fishing too in general, especially larger variants. The Steez AGS "The Ned" is a finesse oriented Ned rod. It's magic with the smaller Ned rigs plain and simple. I have mine paired with a Ballistic MQ 2500 and 6# J-Braid X8. While I can't cast it as far as say a 1/4 oz Ned on the Steez AGS 76MML with 10# YGK SS112 and a Certate LT 3000CXH, I still get excellent distance. I've caught a lot of quality smallmouth and largemouth in deep clear reservoirs and never had any issue playing or fighting the fish due to its length. The fight is a huge part of the fun with finesse stuff and quality fish. The fun factor is high with the Steez Ned rod.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap