Ned Rod choices - P5 / NRX+ / AGS

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ned Rod choices - P5 / NRX+ / AGS

Post by Dan B » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:13 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:49 am
I like a longer rod for Ned fishing too in general, especially larger variants. The Steez AGS "The Ned" is a finesse oriented Ned rod. It's magic with the smaller Ned rigs plain and simple. I have mine paired with a Ballistic MQ 2500 and 6# J-Braid X8. While I can't cast it as far as say a 1/4 oz Ned on the Steez AGS 76MML with 10# YGK SS112 and a Certate LT 3000CXH, I still get excellent distance. I've caught a lot of quality smallmouth and largemouth in deep clear reservoirs and never had any issue playing or fighting the fish due to its length. The fight is a huge part of the fun with finesse stuff and quality fish. The fun factor is high with the Steez Ned rod.
That Steez is actually the one I almost bought... sure for the nice tip to work the bait, but the "fun factor" was also a big part of the thought process. However, I never pulled the trigger on any of them. Now I've purchased the Ultima 7'0 ML for another dropshot / ned combo when out hunting for smallies. Should show up tomorrow, will definitely get it out this weekend even if it's just heading to the pond (have to put a new hub on trailer this weekend before taking boat out).

Bronzefly, thx to TT for getting it shipped so quick too... should have the rod tomorrow and wasn't thinking it would get out of the shop that quick.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:10 am

Dan B wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:13 am
Bronzefly, thx to TT for getting it shipped so quick too... should have the rod tomorrow and wasn't thinking it would get out of the shop that quick.
You're welcome Dan, thank you for the order. We try hard to ship quickly. Really excited to see what you think of the Ultima!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:18 am

bronzefly wrote:
I like a longer rod for Ned fishing too in general, especially larger variants. The Steez AGS "The Ned" is a finesse oriented Ned rod. It's magic with the smaller Ned rigs plain and simple.
I'll just reiterate that the Steez AGS The Ned is amazing for true Ned rigs (1/8oz or smaller heads). Best dedicated Ned rod that I have, the NRX+ 821 NRR doesn't come close. (Doesn't make the NRR a slouch, I like it as a more general, versatile ML rod.)

But once you've effortlessly kept bottom contact in 20 feet of water with a 1/8oz head and played fish as they're coming up, then hooked into a 3lbs largemouth in 4 feet of water right next to a tule field - and controlled that bass and pulled it away from the vegetation even though you're on a Light power rod - you're hooked on The Ned.

I'm running a '22 Exists 2000 on this rod with 10lbs Sunline SX1 -> 5lbs Sunline Maboroshi leader. As Gary said: it's magic, plain and simple.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:05 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:18 am
bronzefly wrote:
I like a longer rod for Ned fishing too in general, especially larger variants. The Steez AGS "The Ned" is a finesse oriented Ned rod. It's magic with the smaller Ned rigs plain and simple.
I'll just reiterate that the Steez AGS The Ned is amazing for true Ned rigs (1/8oz or smaller heads). Best dedicated Ned rod that I have, the NRX+ 821 NRR doesn't come close. (Doesn't make the NRR a slouch, I like it as a more general, versatile ML rod.)

But once you've effortlessly kept bottom contact in 20 feet of water with a 1/8oz head and played fish as they're coming up, then hooked into a 3lbs largemouth in 4 feet of water right next to a tule field - and controlled that bass and pulled it away from the vegetation even though you're on a Light power rod - you're hooked on The Ned.

I'm running a '22 Exists 2000 on this rod with 10lbs Sunline SX1 -> 5lbs Sunline Maboroshi leader. As Gary said: it's magic, plain and simple.

I absolutely concur sir. I’ve fished a ton of rods for this technique and mentioned many of them in articles with Ned. If one prescribes to the original prescription of lighter wire hooks and lighter lead this IS a tremendous tool. Its ability to put movement (shake, quiver etc) into the offering without moving the offering forward is superb. That tip deflection on the wet leaf bite in sub 40 degree water temps on my river smallmouth has been superb. Good choice of reel pairing, same here.