NRX+ 902s or P5 Baby Plugging

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX+ 902s or P5 Baby Plugging

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:39 am

I have a NRX+ 852s as my main bottom contact spinning rod. I want a new all purpose light finesse rod. The two rods I am considering are the 902s and the P5 Baby Plugging. I know folks love the Steez 7'6 "the one" rod, but I have had that one before. I usually have a 1/8 Coolbaits underspin or 1/8 Okishira head with Spark Shad. I don't tend to fish ned rigs and drop shots much anymore, but this is the rod I would use for that. I would also throw lighter jerk bait, tiny cranks, etc. Basically anything too light for the 852s. Any strong recommendations?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX+ 902s or P5 Baby Plugging

Post by reason162 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:02 am

My only strong opinion on the Baby Plugging is that I hated the bump they call a grip. Otherwise it was a fun little rod to throw i wavers/picro and small shad cranks on. Did not use it for bottom contact so can't comment on sensitivity, but I was able to feel a #5 shad rap grazing every rock/pebble/stump on straight 5lb fluoro, as well as the bait itself pulsing (and stop pulsing when a fish overtook it). If you can live with that atrocious minimalist handle and swallow the $400+ price tag in the USDM, it's a true light powered 7'2 rod that's fairly unique if you throw a lot of 1/8 - 1/4oz hard baits in the wind.