High end 7'6 rods- NRX+ 902 vs the Steez 7'6 AGS "the one"

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
525chill2pull
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

High end 7'6 rods- NRX+ 902 vs the Steez 7'6 AGS "the one"

Post by 525chill2pull » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:40 am

Hi everyone, I wanted to get a longer rod to cushion headshakes and prevent fish jumping off a little better. I will mostly be throwing paddletail swimbaits on small round ball jig heads or the okashira screheads, as well as regular ned rigs and potentially a little bit of topwater and dropshotting. I have narrowed down to these two rods mentioned in the title and wanted your thoughts on which would be better. The main purpose of this purchase is to make sure fish are staying pinned on smaller hooks and mostly finesse applications. Thanks!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: High end 7'6 rods- NRX+ 902 vs the Steez 7'6 AGS "the one"

Post by jpmoney » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:14 pm

My vote is for the Steez AGS 76MML the one. There’s a reason they call it the one. Amazing rod in so many uses for finesse fishing. I have 2 I like it that much.

It handles giant smallmouth 6+ lbs and keeps em pinned. It has a fast flexible tip and good backbone. Under load the rod does bend deep into the blank which I really appreciate during the fight.

I can’t comment much on the nrx+ 902s as I have never used one. I have held one in a store and my impression was it’s more parabolic than the Steez. It felt a bit wobbly in comparison and in my opinion might be better suited for moving baits, like bigger hair jigs and spybaits. For bottom contact neds, finesse swimbait a on ball heads, swimming a drop shot, I would hands down take the Steez 76MML.

525chill2pull
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by 525chill2pull » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:44 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:14 pm
My vote is for the Steez AGS 76MML the one. There’s a reason they call it the one. Amazing rod in so many uses for finesse fishing. I have 2 I like it that much.

It handles giant smallmouth 6+ lbs and keeps em pinned. It has a fast flexible tip and good backbone. Under load the rod does bend deep into the blank which I really appreciate during the fight.

I can’t comment much on the nrx+ 902s as I have never used one. I have held one in a store and my impression was it’s more parabolic than the Steez. It felt a bit wobbly in comparison and in my opinion might be better suited for moving baits, like bigger hair jigs and spybaits. For bottom contact neds, finesse swimbait a on ball heads, swimming a drop shot, I would hands down take the Steez 76MML.
Thanks for the insight! I haven't held either so its def a challenge. I've been looking for a good deal on both and my understanding is that the nrx+ deals are a little more rare. I think more parabolic would be more my style so that is in favor of the NRX for me personally. I might end up getting both eventually because small treble hook baits are right up my alley too. What would be a good price to pay for either of the rods where its no question and I should go ahead and grab it?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:05 am

525chill2pull wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:44 pm
jpmoney wrote:

Thanks for the insight! I haven't held either so its def a challenge. I've been looking for a good deal on both and my understanding is that the nrx+ deals are a little more rare. I think more parabolic would be more my style so that is in favor of the NRX for me personally. I might end up getting both eventually because small treble hook baits are right up my alley too. What would be a good price to pay for either of the rods where its no question and I should go ahead and grab it?
Haha, getting both would be a good idea and highly recommended on this site.

Honestly I would not pay full retail for either rod but in my opinion the Steez just feels like it’s “worth it” in my hands - it just has that high end feel and look. The NRX+ I would try to find used for under $500 but might be difficult to find them used these days. I believe Tackle trap has some discount codes for members of this site, and might be worthwhile to get in contact with them if you are leaning towards the Steez.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:29 am

Start with the 7-6ML and you won't want to use any other spinner.
Philippians 4:6

525chill2pull
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by 525chill2pull » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:45 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:05 am
525chill2pull wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:44 pm
jpmoney wrote:

Haha, getting both would be a good idea and highly recommended on this site.

Honestly I would not pay full retail for either rod but in my opinion the Steez just feels like it’s “worth it” in my hands - it just has that high end feel and look. The NRX+ I would try to find used for under $500 but might be difficult to find them used these days. I believe Tackle trap has some discount codes for members of this site, and might be worthwhile to get in contact with them if you are leaning towards the Steez.
Lol no kidding. I just sold my older fury combo so doesn't feel like I will have unused gear sitting around at least. I've come across a new 902+ around 490 so that's a no brainer right? And Steez I think currently the best deal is also around 500. I'm leaning a bit towards the 902+ as its more rare of a deal...curious to know your thoughts.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:33 pm

I would choose the NRX+ myself, but have never tried the Steez.

901s is probably my favorite spinning rod.