I’m in the market for travel rod.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

I’m in the market for travel rod.

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:35 am

I plan to visit Thailand next April for a month and want to bring one travel setup with me. This setup gonna be something in the medium range for small snake head and such. I already what reel I’m gonna bring, Daiwa alphas SV TW and 4 xtra spools with different line size. Now for the rod, I’m looking at either telescopic Daiwa BBB 6106TMFb or 4 pieces Benkei 664M. What do you think about these two? Any experience? Which one should be able to handle small to medium size Snake head.
I have experienced with 4 pieces Presso before and the top pieces sometimes pop off at hard cast. I also have 2 pieces Benkei and this rod fish just like one pieces not sure about stiffness would added being 4 pieces rod.

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Re: I’m in the market for travel rod.

Post by JS8588 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm

After using my XXH in Florida, I can heartily recommend the Valkyrie World Expedition. The Hookup Tackle & Tackle Trap are both excellent sources.

O26A
Angler
Angler

Post by O26A » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:58 am

I have a MB Triza F5-70XTZ- Stympalides. and Love it!!!! But I feel it is under powered in the weeds. It went from just sitting in the travel case to a spot in the boat very versatile rod. I have considered the F7-72XTZ Dragoon. I'm not sure how big snakeheads are but that may be another option.
- Rick

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:49 am

Thanks, got delivery for BBB6106TM yesterday. I fish with it a little and caught a few small bass. So far so good a little weird to have 6’10 but quite short handle. Rod is light weight but stiffer than other medium, balance seem top heavy, sensitivity is good enough. Will find out when I start catching 3-4lb if the rod can handle 1-2kg snake head in small Canal.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:02 am

I realize you got a rod, but if you are ever looking for another, the Triza is really quite fantastic. I have the Dragoon and looking to pick up another model. It's literally a pleasure to fish to the point where I completely forget it's a travel rod. Definitely worth considering.

Preston

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:10 pm

You made me wonder to check it out. So it is 3 pieces rod, that gonna be about 2.5’ long? I like the idea of lighter weight and less pieces to put together but carry around 2.5’ stick in my backpack gonna be tough 😅😅😅.
Where I’m going to not really a fishing destination, just hoping around country side of Thailand.
I’m gonna try to catch some 3-4lb bass if the rod can handle that I should have no problem with 1kg snake head.
The reel would be Alphas SV TW since I have total of 4 spools with different line. Now time for the lure mostly soft plastic or frog.
Attachments
EF5A01DF-63E6-4B75-97E5-217C991EBB4F.jpeg
EF5A01DF-63E6-4B75-97E5-217C991EBB4F.jpeg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 2332 times

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:47 pm

I just received the 2021 zodia 5pc in medium action 6.10", and used it earlier today. Compared to my Triza F5-70XTZ its nowhere near as sensitive, and i am also not a big fan of the cheap eva they're using. Also have the Valkyrie World Expedition, but its for heavier baits (awesome rod btw). I'd say that if you want a 3-5pc rod, your best bet is a Triza if you care about sensitivity.

Before buying the 5pc zodias, i tought they had a 5pc Expride and the Adrena, but that's not even the case. What is Shimano doing? They have a 5pc Ultima, but not an adrena or at least an Expride? Kinda dumb, and i hope we get both next year cuz i'd like to get a 5pc adrena.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:31 pm

Bone Voyage rods are what I would recommend and you should be able to pick them in Thailand. Check out the Bonefishingworld website for dealers. They are a Singapore based company. The rods truly fish like a one piece and are designed for fishing south east Asian species such as the Giant Snakeheads, New Guinea Black Bass, Gropers, Barramundi and Peacock bass which have been introduced to many waterways.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:48 am

Shimano has a new series of travel rods, both spinning and casting, under the Convergence name. They are made up of 4 pieces. They are light for travel, come in a bag and case, and are not very expensive.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:14 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:31 pm
Bone Voyage rods are what I would recommend and you should be able to pick them in Thailand. Check out the Bonefishingworld website for dealers. They are a Singapore based company. The rods truly fish like a one piece and are designed for fishing south east Asian species such as the Giant Snakeheads, New Guinea Black Bass, Gropers, Barramundi and Peacock bass which have been introduced to many waterways.
Thanks I check that rod out and see they are available at 7-seas I might pick that one up if Daiwa is not working out. Now I just text my friend to check it out for me.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:03 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:14 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:31 pm
Thanks I check that rod out and see they are available at 7-seas I might pick that one up if Daiwa is not working out. Now I just text my friend to check it out for me.
You mentioned the Major Craft Benkei which i have used before and find it a very good rod as well. The micro guides are the only thing I didn't like about them as i use braid with a mono or fluro shock leader. I find Major Craft to be excellent value for money and perform above their price point. I am using the Days series for my one piece rods. In the bone range in the mediums there is the BVC-654M or BVC-704M