LTB Topwater Rod Need suggestions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

LTB Topwater Rod Need suggestions

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:06 am

I've played with the Otomat and sold it.. great rod solid but hears what I am thinking.
I'm looking to throw MB Diamanté's which are 3/4oz I think, JT-115 and lures of that nature.. I am looking for a Superb rod that EASY to source and is 6'8"-7'2'?

TBH, I am looking at a JDM specific rod but I welcome all suggestions
reel will be a Steez limited old school non tWS
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BIGBOY
Angler
Angler

Re: LTB Topwater Rod Need suggestions

Post by BIGBOY » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:05 am

Hope things are good with you J! I really enjoy the Evergreen Egoist for 3/4 walking baits. It can do much more!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:44 am

MB P5 Madbull is a fantastic top water rod for 1/2-1oz. Great for shower blows 105 and 125, and used it for diamantés and did really well. I also tried the MB popmax (1/2oz) and did well for that too.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:55 am

Earlier this year I went on the search for a dedicated 1/2oz+ topwater rod, I stumbled upon the major craft benkei 6’9” mh with fuji grip and guides at a modest $130 so I took a chance. I’ve fished 1/2-5/8oz poppers and 1/2-7/8oz walkers with 3/4 feeling like the sweet spot, and it’s been solid, it’s listed as having a mod-fast taper but feels like it sits a little closer to the fast side with just a touch of give center blank when loaded up. It’s also turned out to be a good skipping rod with the power to dock fish jigs and plastics. I wouldn’t use the word superb to describe it relative to some of the bougier brands, but it’s most definitely superb at its price point, it’s got jdm vibes, good balance, and feels like a $200+ price point rod to me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:31 pm

BIGBOY wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:05 am
Hope things are good with you J! I really enjoy the Evergreen Egoist for 3/4 walking baits. It can do much more!
Got caught on tt.com
While at the beach with the wife
Everything is in question 😂
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:53 am

sbd3 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:55 am
Earlier this year I went on the search for a dedicated 1/2oz+ topwater rod, I stumbled upon the major craft benkei 6’9” mh with fuji grip and guides at a modest $130 so I took a chance. I’ve fished 1/2-5/8oz poppers and 1/2-7/8oz walkers with 3/4 feeling like the sweet spot, and it’s been solid, it’s listed as having a mod-fast taper but feels like it sits a little closer to the fast side with just a touch of give center blank when loaded up. It’s also turned out to be a good skipping rod with the power to dock fish jigs and plastics. I wouldn’t use the word superb to describe it relative to some of the bougier brands, but it’s most definitely superb at its price point, it’s got jdm vibes, good balance, and feels like a $200+ price point rod to me.
That sounds great
To me too!