Looking for upgrade from Dobyns 742c HP

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Looking for upgrade from Dobyns 742c HP

Post by VAsmallies » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:35 pm

This rod has been in my rotation for years because I love the power, length, and action for the way I use 1/2 oz vaults and overrides. What I don't like is the lack of sensitivity when fishing something like a Shakey head, nor the slow, sloppy recovery when twitching a lightish topwater walker after a long cast.It's decent with small jig head swimbaits and underspins, but don't feel like it loads up great. In general I feel like it takes too much weight to load up for good casts relative to the backbone it can deliver in power for hook sets with single hook applications and the recovery from twitching with treble hooked baits is slow .Any recommendations for a multipurpose casting rod that could excell for techniques mentioned above? Price range I'm looking at is $300 or less unless there is a unicorn slightly above. Thanks guys!

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for upgrade from Dobyns 742c HP

Post by Hennessy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:18 pm

VAsmallies wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:35 pm
This rod has been in my rotation for years because I love the power, length, and action for the way I use 1/2 oz vaults and overrides. What I don't like is the lack of sensitivity when fishing something like a Shakey head, nor the slow, sloppy recovery when twitching a lightish topwater walker after a long cast.It's decent with small jig head swimbaits and underspins, but don't feel like it loads up great. In general I feel like it takes too much weight to load up for good casts relative to the backbone it can deliver in power for hook sets with single hook applications and the recovery from twitching with treble hooked baits is slow .Any recommendations for a multipurpose casting rod that could excell for techniques mentioned above? Price range I'm looking at is $300 or less unless there is a unicorn slightly above. Thanks guys!
I understand what you mean about “lack of sensitivity” with the Dobyns, reason I stopped using them years ago. Not to sound like a broken record, but the NRX 893c is one of the most versatile rod in their lineup. I’ve purchased some Nrx+ models for under $420, a little above your budget but well worth it. The good thing is you won’t have to ever think you need to upgrade again

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for upgrade from Dobyns 742c HP

Post by Dan B » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 am

You don't even have to get into higher end rods to get what you want, just get a Expride 7'2 ML+ and you're going to see a noticeable difference.