Fitting a Steez 761 in my Lineup

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Fitting a Steez 761 in my Lineup

Post by Junk Fisherman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Considering getting "The One" but need to see where it would fit in my arsenal. I have the first generation Steez 761 and it has been my dedicated Ned rig rod. I thought my 741 Dobyns Champ HP was a great Ned rig rod until I made my first cast with the Steez. The Steez is at a whole different level than the Dobyns. That 741 was quickly repurposed to finesse swimbaits. I had originally bought the Steez thinking it would be my dropshot rod but I liked it with the Ned so much I dedicated it to that application. The Ned is easily my #1 presentation and I throw a 1/10th and 1/15th 98% of the time. Considering that I love the old Steez 761 for Neds do you recommend the new 761 for heavier applications such Nekos, DS, and tubes or do you think I'm going to get this new Steez and decide to use it for Neds? From reading reviews it seems the new 761 is a little heavier than the previous model. Lastly, I have a 763 Dobyns Champ that I use for cracking 1/2 oz tubes and blade baits in the fall and winter for Lakers. Is this Steez versatile enough to replace that rod? I really have too many rods and need to move something. I know this a lot. Thanks for any responses.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fitting a Steez 761 in my Lineup

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:59 am

If you like the old 7-6 you will like the new one as well but it does have slightly more power. I would take the steez over any Dobyns offerings. I believe the new and old steez in 7-6 would cover all the applications you are looking for and then some. They are very versatile.
Philippians 4:6

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:06 am

TBH, if I didn't have so much sentimental value in my Megabass Addermine that has easily landed over a 1000 fish, the 7'6 MML "the One" would easily be my favorite rod. I own/have owned various GLX, NRX/NRX+, St Croixs, Megabass P5s, etc... and nothing I have used touches what that rod can do. The Gen 2 weights 1 ounce less than Gen 1 Steez so you have a 7'6 rod that weighs in at 3.5oz, balances very well, and is amazingly sensitive. It recovers way faster than the Gen1 did, little faster action but still goes deep into the blank. I recently fished 4 days on St Clair and it was magical how well it would handle a fish. No matter where that fish was hooked, that sucker was coming in the boat. I threw everything from hairjigs, neds, dropshot, 2.8-3.3" Keitechs, wacky senkos, etc... never skipped a beat. 1/2oz tube can be done, but snapping it would probably not be as efficient as a more stout rod like a NRX 872. The deeper bend in the Steez would make it more work.

As far as comparisons with Dobyns... I've owned XPs, HPs, and a couple of Xtasys, none of which hold a candle to a Steez or even other brands like P5s, NRX+, etc. Dobyns too far behind the times and need to change something soon to catch up before they are left in the dust. Zero innovation in that company as well, they just stacking up Chinese parts they find on the shelf and selling it at a premium price. Just compare any high end Dobyns to an Expride to see what I mean. I get 30% off all Dobyns no matter what, and I still don't buy them anymore.

I have mine paired with a 3000HG JDM Vanquish and the combo is just a dream to fish. I'm about to sell my P5 Windbuster and buy a second one.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 am

Dan B wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:06 am
I'm about to sell my P5 Windbuster and buy a second one.
That's high praise right there!

I kept my Gen 1 Steez 76MML and agree that it has a little better low end capabilities like the light Neds, etc. The 2nd Gen STAGS761MML "The One" is a truly epic spinning rod. You nailed it in describing it's almost unbelievable versatility, and the performance to go with it. Thanks for posting up your impressions.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:44 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 am
Dan B wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:06 am
I'm about to sell my P5 Windbuster and buy a second one.
That's high praise right there!

I kept my Gen 1 Steez 76MML and agree that it has a little better low end capabilities like the light Neds, etc. The 2nd Gen STAGS761MML "The One" is a truly epic spinning rod. You nailed it in describing it's almost unbelievable versatility, and the performance to go with it. Thanks for posting up your impressions.
When I bought that Steez from you it was specifically to have it before that trip. Really I wanted one for a while and the trip was just an excuse to order it, lol. Regardless, this is the first rod in years that has impressed me as much as the Destroyer Addermine did when I got it (and that goes for both spinning and casting rods). I honestly sat there fishing with it looking at my NRX+ 852s just kind of pissed that I didn't find this rod before I bought that one too... kind of felt the same way with the Windbuster. For the Windbuster it really is just an issue with the grip. I think I would have a different opinion of that rod if it had a similar style to the 2016 Destroyers, but I don't really care for the P5 grip. Which is sad because I would have liked to pick up a P5 Addermine when they release.

I think for right now the rods I've been most impressed with are the P5 casting and the Steez AGS spinning

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:34 am

Versatile is an understatement. I am probably going to go after another 7-6 compile as well. I want one for SW fishing in Florida too. Not sure how to describe it but it certainly can do all ML and M duties. I fished it with treble baits the other day and it was even killer for that.

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:00 am

Thank you for the responses fellas. Sounds like I can't go wrong with the rod.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:29 am

What size reels are you guys fishing on the 7'-6" rod? I have a 3000 on one but thinking a deep 2500 would work too. Anyone throw a 2500 on one?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:14 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:29 am
What size reels are you guys fishing on the 7'-6" rod? I have a 3000 on one but thinking a deep 2500 would work too. Anyone throw a 2500 on one?
Yep. I got a 2500 Stella FJ on the blue one and a 2500 Stella FK on the red one. Seems like the right size.

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:02 am

Tatula 3000 matches up perfectly with my Gen 1 Steez 761.

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:49 am

Went ahead and finally pulled the trigger on the 761. Looking forward to seeing how it compares with the 1st generation. Now to sell one of my Dobyns.