NRX 873C CRR Balance (tip-heaviness)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bl8ant
Angler
Angler

NRX 873C CRR Balance (tip-heaviness)

Post by bl8ant » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:18 am

Hello all, I recently sold my first and only NRX (854c) due to what I felt was unacceptable tip-heaviness and am wondering if I should expect similar balance in the 873C CRR I'm considering purchasing. The power, sensitivity and taper of the 873C CRR will suit my needs perfectly but am concerned that—without being able to handle it—I'll be similarly disappointed with the tip-heaviness of this rod.

Any first-hand experience with the balance of the 873c or 873c+ with a 6oz reel and no added counterweight to the butt is appreciated!

Other rods I'm cross shopping:

Megabass FMJ (if I can find it)
F6-71X FMJ

Steez Bottom contact
STAGS75MHHFB

Megabass DESTROYER P5 X-Bites
(JDM) F5.5-72X The

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX 873C CRR Balance (tip-heaviness)

Post by russ57 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqdTZlbLdQ

At the 8:50 mark here he talks about the 873C balance

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 am

Thanks Russ, love his channel and appreciate you sharing this link. Good to know the + model improves the balance of the 873 some.

I'm just curious to see what folks with experience with the NRX line have to say about the balance of this blank in comparison to other models in the lineup. I've heard some folks mention not minding the balance on the 854 which I found to be shockingly bad for a rod of that length.

Some claim to not be bothered by the tip-heaviness of a rod weighing as little as most NRX models but after pitching a 3/8oz keitech finesse jig and small trailer with my Poison Adrena 172H, I'd pick up the NRX 854 with the same lure and it would feel like I had a 1 oz + tungsten punching rig tied on, it was that tip-heavy.

Judging by the balancing torque figures in Tackle Tour's review of the original 873c I guess the rod was slightly more tip-heavy than average but I wonder how they would have ranked the 854 on the same scale.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 2.42.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 2.42.37 PM.png (29.64 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 pm

I had the old NRX 873CRR and now the NRX+. It balances much better. I originally had a Metanium on there and that wasn’t tip heavy. I now have an Antares on there and the balance is fantastic.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:43 am

Can't speak to 873c CRR, but I have these NRX

842c
2x 893c
894c
822s SYR
NRX+ 821s NRR

They are all noticeably tip heavy with any reel I've ever put on them with the newer NRX+ 821s being by far the least offensive. TackleTour taught me long ago about the value of putting a couple coins into chair caps to put on the butt of the rods that I want to use for tip up applications. Despite adding raw weight to the rod, once dialed in to the balance point I prefer, it makes the rods feel significantly lighter and more pleasurable to fish with throughout the day. Some people are opposed to adding cheap chair caps to the end of their premium rods or increasing the raw weight. Doesn't bother me one bit as the black from the chair caps blends fine with the aesthetics of the rods and the raw weight is not at all noticeable

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:14 am

oops wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:43 am
Can't speak to 873c CRR, but I have these NRX

842c
2x 893c
894c
822s SYR
NRX+ 821s NRR

They are all noticeably tip heavy with any reel I've ever put on them with the newer NRX+ 821s being by far the least offensive. TackleTour taught me long ago about the value of putting a couple coins into chair caps to put on the butt of the rods that I want to use for tip up applications. Despite adding raw weight to the rod, once dialed in to the balance point I prefer, it makes the rods feel significantly lighter and more pleasurable to fish with throughout the day. Some people are opposed to adding cheap chair caps to the end of their premium rods or increasing the raw weight. Doesn't bother me one bit as the black from the chair caps blends fine with the aesthetics of the rods and the raw weight is not at all noticeable
I do the chair cap deal too it makes the rod feel lighter than without it. Sucks to have to do this with a rod that costs as much as a nrx but the sensitivity is electric

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:17 am

Fair enough, I have been doing the chair cap and washer deal along with balancing kits from kistler on their rods for a while.

Thanks!

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:11 am

Pic is with a 6.9oz Zilluon. As shown by the TT review, the torque required to balance the rod is low, and I don't perceive it as tip heavy

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:10 am

bl8ant wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 am
Thanks Russ, love his channel and appreciate you sharing this link. Good to know the + model improves the balance of the 873 some.

I'm just curious to see what folks with experience with the NRX line have to say about the balance of this blank in comparison to other models in the lineup. I've heard some folks mention not minding the balance on the 854 which I found to be shockingly bad for a rod of that length.

Some claim to not be bothered by the tip-heaviness of a rod weighing as little as most NRX models but after pitching a 3/8oz keitech finesse jig and small trailer with my Poison Adrena 172H, I'd pick up the NRX 854 with the same lure and it would feel like I had a 1 oz + tungsten punching rig tied on, it was that tip-heavy.

Judging by the balancing torque figures in Tackle Tour's review of the original 873c I guess the rod was slightly more tip-heavy than average but I wonder how they would have ranked the 854 on the same scale.
Does the tip heaviness really bother you on the water, or are you more balancing it on your finger in the garage? Reason I ask, the rod is so light that a touch of tip heaviness shouldn't matter (balancing torque). Loomis balances the JWR rods for tip down posture. The MBR rods are a touch more balanced in a tip up posture. Are they as balanced as a Dobyns? No, but they are significantly lighter. They certainly don't wear me out fishing all day.

Regarding a finesse jig feeling more substantial or present on the end of your line, is that a bad thing? When I read that I think "he can feel everything with such a small jig that it feels like a more substantial bait."

They are neither the most balanced rods on the market nor the worst, but they are certainly light enough for it to not affect the performance even a little bit in my hand. They are designed for performance only. There's no decorative but cap added to balance the rod, and I for one am glad there isn't. I love the bare bones nature of the line. My $0.02.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:39 am

I got to handle a few of the new NRX+ rods recently and the new NRX+ 873 CRR balances really well. Someone had posted a while back with a sub-7 oz. reel and it balanced just in front of the lockdown nut.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 am

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:10 am
bl8ant wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 am

Does the tip heaviness really bother you on the water, or are you more balancing it on your finger in the garage? Reason I ask, the rod is so light that a touch of tip heaviness shouldn't matter (balancing torque). Loomis balances the JWR rods for tip down posture. The MBR rods are a touch more balanced in a tip up posture. Are they as balanced as a Dobyns? No, but they are significantly lighter. They certainly don't wear me out fishing all day.

Regarding a finesse jig feeling more substantial or present on the end of your line, is that a bad thing? When I read that I think "he can feel everything with such a small jig that it feels like a more substantial bait."

They are neither the most balanced rods on the market nor the worst, but they are certainly light enough for it to not affect the performance even a little bit in my hand. They are designed for performance only. There's no decorative but cap added to balance the rod, and I for one am glad there isn't. I love the bare bones nature of the line. My $0.02.

I noticed and disliked the tip-heaviness of the 854 on the water and confirmed it in the “garage”, certainly not the other way around. Not being blown away by the sensitivity of this particular model (854), left me less willing to overlook the balance issue than had I felt what the rod gave up in balance, it gained in sensitivity.

I’d never claim that the tip heaviness of a rod like this threatens to “wear me out” over the course of the day. I liken it to more of an annoyance than something I struggle to physically overcome, like a pair of polarized glasses that constantly slide down the bridge of your nose, a tackle box latch that requires a curious amount of force to close correctly or buttons on a fishfinder that demand an “abnormal” amount of pressure to depress successfully. More of an ergonomics and tactile issue than being hard on the body.

I do not personally process having a 3/8 oz. finesse jig fighting against keeping a tip-up position (like I’d expect from a punching rig) as a positive thing. If I did, I’d most likely try to buy decidedly tip-heavy rods to fish tip-up presentations and that’s not something I personally strive for. I do understand different strokes for different folks but I’m simply hoping that stroking with a 873 will be a less tip-heavy affair than stroking with the 854. :)

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:28 am

KP Duty wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:11 am
Pic is with a 6.9oz Zilluon. As shown by the TT review, the torque required to balance the rod is low, and I don't perceive it as tip heavy

Not half bad!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 pm

bl8ant wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:18 am

F6-71X FMJ
If perfect balance is your driving criteria then the FMJ isn’t going to cut it. I love mine to death but I have absolutely filled the entire butt cap cavity full of tungsten putty and it has improved the balance/feel of the rod tremendously.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:52 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 pm
bl8ant wrote:

F6-71X FMJ
If perfect balance is your driving criteria then the FMJ isn’t going to cut it. I love mine to death but I have absolutely filled the entire butt cap cavity full of tungsten putty and it has improved the balance/feel of the rod tremendously.
Thanks for the feedback!

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:33 am

bl8ant wrote:
Hello all, I recently sold my first and only NRX (854c) due to what I felt was unacceptable tip-heaviness and am wondering if I should expect similar balance in the 873C CRR I'm considering purchasing. The power, sensitivity and taper of the 873C CRR will suit my needs perfectly but am concerned that—without being able to handle it—I'll be similarly disappointed with the tip-heaviness of this rod.

Any first-hand experience with the balance of the 873c or 873c+ with a 6oz reel and no added counterweight to the butt is appreciated!

Other rods I'm cross shopping:

F6-71X FMJ

Steez Bottom contact
STAGS75MHHFB

Megabass DESTROYER P5 X-Bites
(JDM) F5.5-72X The
Someone already said it, but yes the FMJ doesn't balance very well without adjustments. However, if the P5 FMJ is as good as all the other P5s, then that might be something to look at this coming fall/winter. P5s are probably best balancing / light as a feather rods on the market. IMO, P5s have the best designed grip/locknut combo available at the moment and feels very comfortable with a wide variety of reels.

The Steez AGS rods I have a love/hate relationship with... whether it's the Target Sniper, Utility Player or BC2, they are all slightly tip heavy. I had a Antares A on my UP for a while and it still wouldn't balance right on the GIGANTIC locknut on those rods. As far as comfortable rods go, the Steez AGS locknut just drives me nuts. It honestly needs to be 1/2 the size that it is and the reel seat needs moved up on most models about 1/2-3/4"... that would have taken care of the balance as well as the large nut issues for me. Those rods seem to be very picky about which reel you run on them for comfort. I know if I put my Zillion SV on it there is about 2" of material from the front of the reel to the end of the locknut... just a dumb design in my opinion.

My NRX+ 873c has ended up with a balancing kit... even with an Antares A on it. I used the one from Mudhole with no added weights and it fits perfectly over the entire butt section. I tried to go a while without it, but slinging around a 1/2-5/8oz jig all day and in some cases skipping jigs with it, I was tired of fighting tip weight throughout the day as well.

I would add one more option and that would be the Dobyns DX755... that rod would actually be my #2 choice (If the P5 FMJ is as good as I expect it will be). It too is slightly tip heavy, but just seems less cumbersome compared to the Steez or NRX choices. It's a fantastic rod for the price and if you shop for sales can be found for just under $400.