Missing Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Missing Rod

Post by goldrod » Mon May 30, 2022 11:37 am

What rod ( by technique) do you feel is missing from your line up or that you desire a better performing rod for a specific technique?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Missing Rod

Post by LowRange » Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm

I'm missing lots of rod but have enough versatile rods to cover. For now.

Kayak heavy powered target casting and skipping rod. Something in the 6'9" range. Planning on the Tatula Elite 69 jig skipping rod for my Alphas TW SV.

A actual light weight frog rod. Currently using my jig pitching stick. An Orochi xx gen 1 Perfect Pitch with Megabass IP reel on it. A Ray's shallow spool for pitching and an HLC for frogging. It just works but is heavy. It being well balanced is what has saved it. An XBD and a Steez HLC would be ideal.

A real dedicated good bottom contact stick. I have the PP for pitching jigs and plastics. I have a gen 1 EMTF with a great bottom contact taper but its heavy. I prefer tip down sweeps with a dark sleeper with it because hours of tip up wears on you a bit. Same problem with my solid tip Jackall BPM. Great taper with a carbon wrapped solid tip but it's heavy and poorly balanced. Nice spare stick but not what I want.

An excellent light weight all around MH. I want the Posion Adrena 73MH. EMTF is a bit too long and heavy but currently fills the void. Would like to make it a dedicated dark sleeper rod someday.

A 3/8 oz jig rod. I used to be big into this but then stopped for whatever reason. I just pitch them with the old PP or use the BPM and that solid tip now. Works.

A H moving bait rod for Gilly 110/130, heavier bladed jigs and 3/8 bladed jigs when the dedicated bladed jig rod has a crank tied on. Maybe other baits too. Currently using the PP to cast Gilly 110s which it does sorta OK. That XF taper loads the rod weird but it works. Pitches them great though. Also using an old BPS soft tip H Extreme. I want that new St Croix Flip Chat Crank LTB for my Zilion PE with IP68 spool.

A proper big bait stick. I have the Hyuga 72H, Super Destruction and XXH Valkaryie. The 1st two seem to top out at 3 oz baits. Throwing anything heaver and I want more rod. Haven't made up my mind on the XXH Valkaryie yet. Got to catch more fish on the bigger baits to even bother. Right now 1-2 oz range are my fish catchers and all 3 excell at that with the Huyga being a kayak fishing dream and the Valkaryie being more of a boat stick. The Super Destruction actually does both pretty well. It's not as good at throwing a Gantarel Jr at the bank with pin point accuracy as the Hyuga but its in the ballpark.

An actual deep crank stick. Using an X4 711 now. Also have a cheapie XH Veritas Winch for the mag heavies. Also can task the XXH Valkaryie and Super Destruction with the biggest mag heavies. When I get back to serious deep cranking I'll be in the market for a braid and glass rod.

A dedicated shallow to mid depth cranking stick. Currently tasking multiple rods from a BPS Cranking stick for 1/4 oz baits, Levante Jerkbait Special and Zodias gen 1 72M for 3/8-5/8 oz and a MH Valkaryie for 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz baits.

An L BFS rod. I lost my 682L Volkey BFS.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue May 31, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 30, 2022 7:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm
I'm missing lots of rod but have enough versatile rods to cover. For now.

Kayak heavy powered target casting and skipping rod. Something in the 6'9" range. Planning on the Tatula Elite 69 jig skipping rod for my Alphas TW SV.

A actual light weight frog rod. Currently using my jig pitching stick. An Orochi xx gen 1 Perfect Pitch with Megabass IP reel on it. A Ray's shallow spool for pitching and an HLC for frogging. It just works but is heavy. It being well balanced is what has saved it. An XBD and a Stewz HLC would be ideal.

A real dedicated good bottom contact stick. I have the PP for pitching jigs and plastics. I have a gen 1 EMTF with a great bottom contact taper but its heavy. I prefer tip down sweeps with a dark sleeper with it because hours of tip up wears on you a bit. Same problem with my solid tip Jackall BPM. Great taper with a carbon wrapped solid tip but it's heavy and poorly balanced. Nice spare stick but not what I want.

An excellent light weight all around MH. I want the Posion Adrena 73MH. EMTF is a bit too long and heavy but currently fills the void. Would like to make it a dedicated dark sleeper rod someday.

A 3/8 oz jig rod. I used to be big into this but then stopped for whatever reason. I just pitch them with the old PP or use the BPM and that solid tip now. Works.

A H moving bait rod for Gilly 110/130, heavier bladed jigs and 3/8 bladed jigs when the dedicated bladed jig rod has a crank tied on. Maybe other baits too. Currently using the PP to cast Gilly 110s which it does sorta OK. That XF taper loads the rod weird but it works. Pitches them great though. Also using an old BPS soft tip H Extreme. I want that new St Croix Flip Chat Crank LTB for my Zilion PE with IP68 spool.

A proper big bait stick. I have the Hyuga 72H, Super Destruction and XXH Valkaryie. The 1st two seem to top out at 3 oz baits. Throwing anything heaver and I want more rod. Haven't made up my mind on the XXH Valkaryie yet. Got to catch more fish on the bigger baits to even bother. Right now 1-2 oz range are my fish catchers and all 3 excell at that with the Huyga being a kayak fishing dream and the Valkaryie being more of a boat stick. The Super Destruction actually does both pretty well. It's not as good at throwing a Gantarel Jr at the bank with pin point accuracy as the Hyuga but its in the ballpark.

An actual deep crank stick. Using an X4 711 now. Also have a cheapie XH Veritas Winch for the mag heavies. Also can task the XXH Valkaryie and Super Destruction with the biggest mag heavies. When I get back to serious deep cranking I'll be in the market for a braid and glass rod.

A dedicated shallow to mid depth cranking stick. Currently tasking multiple rods from a BPS Cranking stick for 1/4 oz baits, Levante Jerkbait Special and Zodias gen 1 72M for 3/8-5/8 oz and a MH Valkaryie for 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz baits.

An L BFS rod. I lost my 682L Volkey BFS.

Thanks and as much versatility as I have I think I have a need to get a frog rod
Something short and I’ve thought about the Steez frogger. I’m looking for something 6’9” minimum and the frogger is 6’7” which may not be a big deal but it’s just not my preference. I want to get the Steez limited but it’s rather expensive and honestly I’m not sure what the gain is with the reel over the current excellent offerings or a Steez A which I love.

I’ve got a good square bill rod but I would like to perfect the setup.
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have tried the st. Croix 6’10” heavy just to see how that is.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue May 31, 2022 3:24 pm

the tatula elite 6'9 skippin rod would probably work well for frogs. i got the 7'1 model thinking it was softer in the tip than what it is. my 7'1 h steez xt is softer. i have been throwing a 1/2oz frog with the tat elite, but haven't stuck a fish yet.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 31, 2022 7:14 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:24 pm
the tatula elite 6'9 skippin rod would probably work well for frogs. i got the 7'1 model thinking it was softer in the tip than what it is. my 7'1 h steez xt is softer. i have been throwing a 1/2oz frog with the tat elite, but haven't stuck a fish yet.
Great information thanks
I’ll look into it

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 31, 2022 7:48 pm

I've heard the jig skipping rods have long soft tips that aren't great for frogs. That's actually what sold me on the sticks because I like a tip like that when skipping. My old PP will skip but its an adjustment with the XF tip. Easier to pitch skip with the rod standing on the casting deck than trying to swing it from a kayak.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:41 am

My baitcasters are covered. I want a steez AGS 72H for fun but I have a GLX 854 that would suite the same purpose.

My missing rod is a 7'2 ML expride( I hope). I'll pair it with Stradic or Vanford. Gonna use it for hair jigs, jigging walleye and throwing spinners for steelhead. It will likely be a next year thing because I'm done steelheading, walleye fishing, and 99% of my bass fishing will be with a baitcaster. I bought a M power klx that is rated 1/8-3/8oz but it fishes heavier than that. So the gear monkey has been nagging me about it.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:20 pm

I was missing some key rods for my kayak fishing.

Ended up looking into the Daiwa Blazons. They looked decent on paper so I decided to pull the trigger and go ahead and order some from Japan. Prices ranged from 110-120usd excluding the $50 shipping per rod.

Very nice design. One piece rod with detachable handle, monocoque handle, better cork than I've seen on some more expensive rods, sensitive enough for what I bought them for(the solid tip BFS rod is pretty sensitive). They are light rods. Balance is good, but not P5 Megabass good.

I bought the following and was not disappointed.

BAIT FINESSE
6'4 Daiwa 22 Blazon C64L-ST/B (rod weight 3.63oz), 1/16-3/8oz

SMALL TOPWATERS AND JERKBAITS
6'6 Daiwa Blazon C66M (rod weight 3.81oz), 3/16-3/4oz

FROG
6'7 Daiwa Blazon C67MH-FR (rod weight 3.92oz), 1/4-1oz

2 to 3 oz SWIMBAIT/GLIDEBAITS
6'11 Daiwa Blazon C611H-SB (rod weight 4.23oz), 3/8-4oz

The rods I currently had were:
-Megabass Javelin (square bills and mid depth cranks)
-Megabass P5 Super Destroyer (versatile single hook baits)
-Megabass P5 Tachyon Shaft (jig and 1/2oz+ chatterbait)
-Megabass P5 Tequila Baccarac (Punching)
-Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS MMH (versatile treble baits)

I guess what I'm really missing is a deep diving crankbait rod! Hmmm, the search continues. I think I can get by with using the Megabass Javelin for lighter deep divers and 6'11 Daiwa Blazon for the 1.5-1.75 oz deep divers.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:56 pm

An excellent light weight all around MH. I want the Posion Adrena 73MH.
Step up to the new Glorious 7-4 MH. I have the '16 version, and its amazing. The new version weighs a ridiculous 105g (down from 117g) as well as a blank upgrade.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:01 pm

FamKench wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:20 pm
Prices ranged from 110-120usd excluding the $50 shipping per rod.

V
Jdm tackle haven will combine shipping and pack 2 rods in one tube. I always wait to buy a jdm rod until I can afford to buy 2.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:01 pm
FamKench wrote:

V
Jdm tackle haven will combine shipping and pack 2 rods in one tube. I always wait to buy a jdm rod until I can afford to buy 2.
I concur
They just did it for men

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Obz wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:41 am
My baitcasters are covered. I want a steez AGS 72H for fun but I have a GLX 854 that would suite the same purpose.

My missing rod is a 7'2 ML expride( I hope). I'll pair it with Stradic or Vanford. Gonna use it for hair jigs, jigging walleye and throwing spinners for steelhead. It will likely be a next year thing because I'm done steelheading, walleye fishing, and 99% of my bass fishing will be with a baitcaster. I bought a M power klx that is rated 1/8-3/8oz but it fishes heavier than that. So the gear monkey has been nagging me about it.
I owned the 6'9" skipping rod and sold it, imo the only thing about that rod facilitates skipping is the length, and perhaps power if you're fishing in the nasty junk, it's true heavy fast action with very little tip, I didn't like it for skipping, better as a straight jig/pitching rod. I like medium heavy/xf for skipping.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:26 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:01 pm
FamKench wrote:

V
Dang I got ripped off! Lol. Asian portal packed 4 rods into one box and charged me shipping for 4 rods. Smh. Thanks for the info though. I guess I know where to buy rods from now.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:33 pm

They package them like they were shipping porcelain