Smith LTD rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Smith LTD rods

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:53 pm

Anyone have any experience with these ?

Looking at the 6’9” bait finesse
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Smith LTD rods

Post by City17Banner » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:16 pm

I have a couple on the way from THUT, I plan to pair the 6'9" ML with an old school Daiwa Steez EX100XS and see how that combination likes casting and retrieving 1/8 & 1/4oz Evergreen Little Max and Deps Circuit Vibe vibrating blade baits for early season smallmouth bass next weekend up at the lake cabin!

It will be the debut of that little gem of a reel since I bought two of them way back in 2014 so I hope the rod and reel combination works out well. If not, I'm sure the other Steez paired up with a Fenwick/Tiemco Techna GP 7'4" ML rod should do the trick for these "micro" vibrating blade baits. ;)
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:38 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:16 pm
I have a couple on the way from THUT, I plan to pair the 6'9" ML with an old school Daiwa Steez EX100XS and see how that combination likes casting and retrieving 1/8 & 1/4oz Evergreen Little Max and Deps Circuit Vibe vibrating blade baits for early season smallmouth bass next weekend up at the lake cabin!

It will be the debut of that little gem of a reel since I bought two of them way back in 2014 so I hope the rod and reel combination works out well. If not, I'm sure the other Steez paired up with a Fenwick/Tiemco Techna GP 7'4" ML rod should do the trick for these "micro" vibrating blade baits. ;)
sweet..
please post pictures and let us know how and what you like and dont like about it..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:00 am

Certainly, I just need to run up to the lake cabin where all my fishing tackle is stored, to grab the two NIB Daiwa Steez EX100XS reels and await the delivery of the Smith LTD Strategy Tourer V Spec casting rods from AZ.

I'll see if I can figure out how to reliably post high-resolution pictures here on TT, if not, I'll post over at BBC in the Rods & Reels forum since posting high quality pictures over there seems much easier for me. I'm assuming, you would like rod balance pictures with the Steez attached along with some shots of the build quality (fit and finish) of the rod, especially the AAA grade cork handle?

Are there any other pictures you would like of the rod so you can see what the rod actually looks like beyond the short segment in the weekly THUT video drop yesterday? If so, please let me know and I will try to accommodate your requirements.

Please have a great day!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:14 am

City17Banner wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:00 am
Certainly, I just need to run up to the lake cabin where all my fishing tackle is stored, to grab the two NIB Daiwa Steez EX100XS reels and await the delivery of the Smith LTD Strategy Tourer V Spec casting rods from AZ.

I'll see if I can figure out how to reliably post high-resolution pictures here on TT, if not, I'll post over at BBC in the Rods & Reels forum since posting high quality pictures over there seems much easier for me. I'm assuming, you would like rod balance pictures with the Steez attached along with some shots of the build quality (fit and finish) of the rod, especially the AAA grade cork handle?

Are there any other pictures you would like of the rod so you can see what the rod actually looks like beyond the short segment in the weekly THUT video drop yesterday? If so, please let me know and I will try to accommodate your requirements.

Please have a great day!
Would be awesome to have 2 of those reels just sitting NIB in a store area. Assuming you have A LOT of stuff.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:03 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:14 am
City17Banner wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:00 am

Please have a great day!
Would be awesome to have 2 of those reels just sitting NIB in a store area. Assuming you have A LOT of stuff.
I suppose I might have a lot of fishing tackle since I outgrew the original 120ft x 100ft storage pole barn at my house property and had to build a second 120ft x 100ft storage pole barn at the lake cabin property a few years ago sir. :big grin:

All kidding aside, in reality, like most "tackle geeks" I have far too much fishing tackle, witness these two NIB Daiwa Steez Ex100XS reels, they are the only non-DC casting reels I own, and the thought originally was to use them for lighter fishing techniques similar to the BFS systems of today, but I admit that I simply prefer using DC casting reels more, so they have been in storage since I bought them new in the spring of 2014.

I'll see what happens when I get the actual Smith LTD "Bait Finesse Advance" casting rod and mount different reels on the rod, but in all actuality, I'll probably put the Steez reels back into long term storage and just purchase another set of 21 Antares DC reels, so I stay consistent with the other casting reels I currently use today as I prefer having a homogeneous casting experience with my JDM and custom rods.

Please have a great day!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:21 am

If you decide to part with one let me know please

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:38 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:21 am
I truly appreciate your interest in these beautiful reels sir!

However, I've chosen never to sell any of my fishing tackle despite lots of inquiries from my family and friends over the last 30+ years, simply because I like everything I own and even if I don't use it like with these Daiwa Steez EX100XS reels, I still like to take them out on occasion and just look at them.

The purple trim and especially the spool are simply breathtaking in how exquisite the build quality is from Daiwa Japan and my favorite color is purple so there is that aspect too! \:D/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:01 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:38 am
goldrod wrote:

However, I've chosen never to sell any of my fishing tackle despite lots of inquiries from my family and friends over the last 30+ years, simply because I like everything I own and even if I don't use it like with these Daiwa Steez EX100XS reels, I still like to take them out on occasion and just look at them.

The purple trim and especially the spool are simply breathtaking in how exquisite the build quality is from Daiwa Japan and my favorite color is purple so there is that aspect too! \:D/

I totally understand
There’s something about that reel to me that just feels right. I think it is the size. It’s one of those reels that I found out about much too late.

That bait finesse advance seems like a mystery to me. So I’m very interested in your findings and how it is on the water vs. on paper per the specs

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:46 pm

City17Banner wrote:
goldrod wrote:

Does sound like you have an awesome collection, just remember you can't take it all with you. One day someone will be very proud to inherit all that. I'm only 33 and I have a few reels I would never want sold if I died. Just cool to think that your great grandson might catch a monster on that reel one day.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:52 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:46 pm
City17Banner wrote:
goldrod wrote:

Does sound like you have an awesome collection, just remember you can't take it all with you. One day someone will be very proud to inherit all that. I'm only 33 and I have a few reels I would never want sold if I died. Just cool to think that your great grandson might catch a monster on that reel one day.
No worries, sir! I don't consider myself a collector as I use 99% of my fishing tackle throughout the course of a fishing season and since I am up at my cabin lake this weekend getting my Ranger 522 DVX ready for early season smallmouth bass fishing on Chequamegon Bay in a couple of weeks. I thought I would treat everyone on this thread to a couple of "beauty" shots of that fantastic Daiwa Steez EX100XS reel along with the most unique cranking rod in my arsenal! Please enjoy until I can get home and get some pictures of the Smith LTD 6'9" Bait Finesse Advance rod.

Please have a great day!

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:28 pm

Hello,

Here are the pictures of the new Smith LTD Strategy Tour V Spec TVC-69ML Bait Finesse Advance casting rod. I find that this rod is a true ML powered rod when I compare it to my Fenwick/Tiemco TAV-74MLC rod that I currently use for presenting JDM "micro" vibrating blade baits such as the Evergreen Little Max, Deps Circuit Vibe, and OSP Override in 1/8-1/4oz sizes.

I'm excited to get out and give this rod a try next time I am up at my lake cabin or perhaps if the weather improves later this week, I'll hop over to the St. Croix River (the closest boat launch is ~8miles away) and see if I can find some jumbo white bass to try the new rod on with these awesome JDM lures.

Please have a great day!

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:45 pm

Did you get to fish the rod much this year? Been looking at the advance as well as the axis model. Trying to determine if these rods can handle light bottom contact in addition to treble hook baits.

Also, are they made in Japan?

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:20 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Did you get to fish the rod much this year? Been looking at the advance as well as the axis model. Trying to determine if these rods can handle light bottom contact in addition to treble hook baits.

Also, are they made in Japan?
My apologies, there are so many great JDM rods to play around with this season and I admit to having forgotten about this specific thread.

Yes, I've had my two Smith LTD Bait Finesse Advance rods out almost every day over the last three weeks to present the Rapala OG Tiny 4 and Evergreen Super Sledge and it does a fantastic job presenting these lightweight crankbaits and jerkbaits for late fall smallmouth bass!

Hmm, I have been using my new Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 611ML+ for presenting the 1/8oz Jackall Shaggy "micro-jig" over the last two months and to me, it has both the sensitivity and the responsive tip needed to present super-light JDM bottom contact lures. In contrast, the Bait Finesse Advance has a very soft tip which is great for fishing the 1/4oz OG Tiny and the 3/16oz Evergreen Super Sledge micro jerkbait but I'd imagine that it would run out of power when trying to set the hook on a bottom contact lure such as the Shaggy or a 1/16oz T-Rig/Free Rig setup with a small soft plastic lure like a 3" OSP Dolive Beaver or something similar in size and weight.

Yes, these rods are made in Japan.

Please feel free to contact me via PM is you have any further questions or concerns regarding this excellent casting rod, and I will do my best to assist further.

Please have a great day!

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:00 am

Smith makes some really nice rods. I have a Troutin' Spin BC Classic 6'5" ML 3g-12g I use for steelhead, very high quality blank and reel seat. The rod is a moderate fast but has plenty of backbone and also did very well for me smallie fishing. It's one of my favorites.