MegaBass worm rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

MegaBass worm rod

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:26 am

I'm thinking about trying a megabass for worms
What rod would be"best" 3/16 - 1/2oz
Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: MegaBass worm rod

Post by Kimbro1014 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:49 pm

I just picked up my first yesterday, the P5 X-Bites. It’s great with a 3/8 weight, haven’t gone lower yet. I love the rod so far but It’ll take some time to get to know. I think it’ll be a little too stout for lower weights.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:23 pm

What about a used X7 stick? I hear those are on par with modern sticks. The Bearing Down Type X? I'm on a solid tip steak now and am trying out a cheap MH/M+ solid tip rod for these same baits. If I like it the next logical step is this X7 stick.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Depending on what kind of worming, you’ll want a F3-F4.5 power stick. F3.5 ist good for shakyheads and weightless/wacky senkos (neko works, too) F4-F4.5 for light t-rigged senkos. I’d look at the product description of the available series in this power range and go from there. Maybe ask follow-up questions on a rod you’re considering (and there’s a long P5 thread we’re those rods we’re probably discussed already).

My P5 stick for 3/16-1/2oz worming would be the F4.5 Dark Sleeper or F3.5 Windbuster.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

X7 Bearing Down Type X is a weird one. You'll either hate it or for the few, love it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:25 pm

Of the line Up I have the X7 super rakki or Aaron Martens 7’1” (I have 2) or the extreme mission and super eiger
So I can’t speak but for these rods and I would say it depends on the type of worm rod you like. BUT these sticks are better than a lot of what you’ll find out there today. IMHO

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:01 pm

I guess I should have said t-rig worms and senkos. I have 5 Steez rods from 6-7 to
7-5 bottom contact and several tatula elites. Love all of them but was wanting to try something else in that range of rods.

I've look at all of the current megabass specs but there are so many different types

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:31 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:01 pm
I guess I should have said t-rig worms and senkos. I have 5 Steez rods from 6-7 to
7-5 bottom contact and several tatula elites. Love all of them but was wanting to try something else in that range of rods.

I've look at all of the current megabass specs but there are so many different types

Jeff
The dark sleeper and super destroyer are the two of the P5 line up that I’d get for what you’re wanting to do
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:

Jeff
What kind of cover do you typically fish? Heavy, sparse, or in between?

Many people like the x-bites for your weight range in moderate cover.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:23 am

Tigerbass wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 am
jwfflipper14 wrote:

Jeff
What kind of cover do you typically fish? Heavy, sparse, or in between?

Many people like the x-bites for your weight range in moderate cover.
Here in southwest Louisiana and Texas we have it all fortunately.
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:32 am

If you can find one, X7 Extreme Mission.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 am

I have narrowed it down to 2 rods

The Dark Sleeper or the 72X X-Bites

Having never own or let along held a Megabass rod I think either of these will work for what I want to do.

What y'all think

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:36 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 am

Having never own or let along held a Megabass rod I think either of these will work for what I want to do.

What y'all think

Jeff
I have both rods. Besides 2" in length, the real difference in the rods is the action. Specifically, the dark sleeper is a fast action (similar to American ones) and the X-bites is an extra fast (not too dissimilar to Gloomis x-fast if you are familiar with that).

I use the X-bites specifically with jigs/worms (any bottom contact) and it is great at that. The Dark Sleeper has additional utility in my view, as the action lends itself to more things--swim jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.

Jigs/worms only = Xbites.
Those + more = Dark Sleeper.

Sensitivity is on par w/NRX.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 am

jmb27 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:36 am
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 am

What y'all think

Jeff
I have both rods. Besides 2" in length, the real difference in the rods is the action. Specifically, the dark sleeper is a fast action (similar to American ones) and the X-bites is an extra fast (not too dissimilar to Gloomis x-fast if you are familiar with that).

I use the X-bites specifically with jigs/worms (any bottom contact) and it is great at that. The Dark Sleeper has additional utility in my view, as the action lends itself to more things--swim jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.

Jigs/worms only = Xbites.
Those + more = Dark Sleeper.

Sensitivity is on par w/NRX.
Well the Xbites looks like the rod to get.
What is the lightest worm weight you have used, and I know it is all relevant with the worm sinker and worm or creature bait that you use to determine total weight of the lure. I do like to use a 1/8 ounce weight on a worm or a creature bait at times.
Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:03 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 am
I do like to use a 1/8 ounce weight on a worm or a creature bait at times.
Jeff
I've used both a 1/8 ounce weight and a 1/8 oz. shakey head (of course, the plastic will get the weight up depending upon its bulk). I think that this is the "low end" of the rod as a really finesse 1/16 oz. or weightless would be overkill with the Xbites and better suited for a BFS/spinning setup.

The Xbites has handled the 1/8 oz. stuff just fine for me. I haven't fished anything towards the high end of it's stated weight range (yet). Imo, the rod is a true MH. For me, this means that a 3/4 oz. is probably ok in more open/light cover situations, but the sweet spot is 1/4 to 1/2 oz.

If you are routinely throwing 1/2 and up jigs/t-rig into heavy cover/slop , another rod model would likely be better.