How you liking your 7’3mh Steez ags utility player?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How you liking your 7’3mh Steez ags utility player?

Post by Hennessy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:18 pm

I purchased this rod last year, it looked awesome & I thought it was the best rod release of last year. I fished it a fair amount fun fishing & actually a whole day of bfl tournament fishing. Coming from fishing Nrx rods for years, other than looks, it didn’t really impress me. I think it’s action is closer to a medium than a medium heavy, not that I can remember having any hook setting issues. About the only technique I found it good for was a 1/4oz Texas rig. It’s says spinnerbait/chatterbait, jig(I’d never even use a 3/8oz on it). I have a 7’3mh poison adrena that I use for chatterbait/spinnerbait & think it does a amazing job at that & a much lower price, so there’s no need to switch it to the ags. My go to Texas rig rod is the Nrx 873CRR, that I purchased another 1 AFTER I bought the ags. I use all Metanium mgl reels & it seems that they feel better on Nrx rods over the Steez IMO. Maybe I’m missing something but it seems like it was a redundant purchase to the point of me thinking of getting rid of it. I also have the Nrx 893c which is truly a “special” mh rod at a longer length. Love to hear anyone’s take on the 7’3mh utility player, good or bad.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How you liking your 7’3mh Steez ags utility player?

Post by Dan B » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:21 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:18 pm
I purchased this rod last year, it looked awesome & I thought it was the best rod release of last year. I fished it a fair amount fun fishing & actually a whole day of bfl tournament fishing. Coming from fishing Nrx rods for years, other than looks, it didn’t really impress me. I think it’s action is closer to a medium than a medium heavy, not that I can remember having any hook setting issues. About the only technique I found it good for was a 1/4oz Texas rig. It’s says spinnerbait/chatterbait, jig(I’d never even use a 3/8oz on it). I have a 7’3mh poison adrena that I use for chatterbait/spinnerbait & think it does a amazing job at that & a much lower price, so there’s no need to switch it to the ags. My go to Texas rig rod is the Nrx 873CRR, that I purchased another 1 AFTER I bought the ags. I use all Metanium mgl reels & it seems that they feel better on Nrx rods over the Steez IMO. Maybe I’m missing something but it seems like it was a redundant purchase to the point of me thinking of getting rid of it. I also have the Nrx 893c which is truly a “special” mh rod at a longer length. Love to hear anyone’s take on the 7’3mh utility player, good or bad.
It's one of my favorite rods and I fished it a ton last year. I fish a Antares A w/ 15lb fluoro and have had zero issues with it. I also fish a Metanium DC on my Target Sniper and don't have issues with the reel seat either with that setup... maybe it's just the way I palm my reels. I would say my only complaint about the Steez AGS line is the lock nut should be 30-50% shorter than what it is, but it still doesn't bother me enough to not make me want them. Megabass P5s & Dobyns Xtasy would be top notch examples of the perfectly designed/sized lock nut on a rod. Even my Conquest rods piss me off sometimes with how fat the cork on the nut is.

My experiences over last year, it's just as sensitive as my NRX/NRX+ rods I had. After the last year of fishing the Steez and MB P5 lines, I actually have sold all but my NRX+ 852s.

The Utility sniper is now my dedicated T-Rig & Finesse jig rod. I will agree it's a softer MH, but it's not a medium. I actually like that about it... I drill fish on a T-rig, and I don't lose them. (Knocking on wood) I hooked over a 150-200 fish on that rod and never lost one. I attribute that to the bend in the blank.

I've thrown 3/8-1/2oz chatterbaits on it (1/2oz chatterbait + trailer starts to push the rod too far but I was testing limits on purpose), 3/16 - 3/8oz finesse jigs, shakeyheads, 4-5" swimbaits on jigheads, senkos, mojo rigged worms, etc... and it performed flawlessly for me. One thing I will add is this rod performs best with lower stretch fluoro... (example: Abrazx > Invizx) but that's just a little thing I noticed. EIther way I fished 1/2 the time with Invizx before figuring that out and still performed very well.

Hope this helps, some rods aren't for everyone. For me, I'm not a fan of my Conquest rods and have sold all but one... which will probably be sold in the spring. How you hold the rod, the shape of the reels you have available, etc all can make a huge difference. I personally would never fish a Bantam or a Zillion SV on a Steez AGS because it's not comfortable for me. If you find nothing works for you, sell that thing and buy what you love.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:57 am

I get to be contrarian; I didn't keep mine.

Fished it with various Daiwas (Steez A, Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW), and it never clicked for me. I went off of what the Daiwa site said it was for, and it felt like a 'jack of all trades, master of none', and never really clicked for me. When I got into the cold months, I realized that I just liked the 7'3" Poison Adrena more for the same styles of baits, and don't regret that choice at all.

That's not to diminish how FANTASTIC the rod is in regards to build quality, design, and sensitivity. My only real gripe with the series is the guides, which I think are middling at best. But I have kept (and will keep for a LONG time) the Power Pitch and Moving Bait Versatile because they are the stand outs for me from that line, and I'm happy to move the Utility Player on to someone else who may enjoy it more and eventually grab an 873c CRR when they restock.

I don't think you're missing anything by moving on from that rod, and I say that as a Daiwa nerd.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:44 am

JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:57 am

Fished it with various Daiwas (Steez A, Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW), and it never clicked for me. I went off of what the Daiwa site said it was for, and it felt like a 'jack of all trades, master of none', and never really clicked for me. When I got into the cold months, I realized that I just liked the 7'3" Poison Adrena more for the same styles of baits, and don't regret that choice at all.

That's not to diminish how FANTASTIC the rod is in regards to build quality, design, and sensitivity. My only real gripe with the series is the guides, which I think are middling at best. But I have kept (and will keep for a LONG time) the Power Pitch and Moving Bait Versatile because they are the stand outs for me from that line, and I'm happy to move the Utility Player on to someone else who may enjoy it more and eventually grab an 873c CRR when they restock.

I don't think you're missing anything by moving on from that rod, and I say that as a Daiwa nerd.
I will agree when using Daiwa reels on this specific Daiwa rod it bugs me. I didn't like it with a Steez, Zillion SV, Tatula Elite, nothing... but when I put the Shimanos on it then something did "click for me". I felt like I was almost distracted with a Daiwa reel on it cause it just wasn't comfortable.

I think the Steez AGS is going to be a love/hate for everyone who tries them, no in between. I also think this is largely do to the excessively long lock nut design that makes it difficult to find the right reel to match to the rod. Similar to my dislike for Gloomis locknuts on Conquests/NRX+ models. Imagine a Steez AGS with a locknut similar to the P5s, now that's the dream...

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:07 pm

I have really enjoyed mine so far. I’ve had it a couple months and I’m running a steez a on it. I don’t have a single complaint and I came from NRX rods. It is a touch softer than I expected, but only marginally so. I’ve mainly been throwing T-Rigs and larger shakey heads. Fit and finish, sensitivity, and versatility are top notch.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:18 am

My main jig and worm rod is a NRX+ 873 CRR. I sold my Poison Adrena 7’3 MH which was used as my “versatile” rod to get the Utility Player. I agree with the original post. It hasn’t blown me away. I also bought “The One” 7’6 spinning rod and it hasn’t blown me away either. I will likely sell that one. To me, the NRX+ looks and feels more like a high end rod to me. The cork on the Steez is not good at all and it just doesn’t feel as solid as the NRX+. I will fish it a while, but it might get replaced with a Loomis/Shimano at some point.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:30 pm

Dan B wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:44 am
JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:57 am

I will agree when using Daiwa reels on this specific Daiwa rod it bugs me. I didn't like it with a Steez, Zillion SV, Tatula Elite, nothing... but when I put the Shimanos on it then something did "click for me". I felt like I was almost distracted with a Daiwa reel on it cause it just wasn't comfortable.

I think the Steez AGS is going to be a love/hate for everyone who tries them, no in between. I also think this is largely do to the excessively long lock nut design that makes it difficult to find the right reel to match to the rod. Similar to my dislike for Gloomis locknuts on Conquests/NRX+ models. Imagine a Steez AGS with a locknut similar to the P5s, now that's the dream...
I really WISH I liked it. I think these Steez rods are a real home run compared to previous iterations, but nothing is perfect. I think the newer Steez rods would be killer if they just had better guides. I don't like the AGS guides, they feel brittle, even to this new version. If I have the MBV and PP in 5 years, once Daiwa's warranty ends, I may strip them and put on some Fujis I like more.

Also, nearly everything would be better with Megabass components. My X-Bites is still my favorite rod of the last few years.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:18 pm

JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:30 pm
I really WISH I liked it. I think these Steez rods are a real home run compared to previous iterations, but nothing is perfect. I think the newer Steez rods would be killer if they just had better guides. I don't like the AGS guides, they feel brittle, even to this new version. If I have the MBV and PP in 5 years, once Daiwa's warranty ends, I may strip them and put on some Fujis I like more.

Also, nearly everything would be better with Megabass components. My X-Bites is still my favorite rod of the last few years.
I have really enjoyed the Xbites so far… interesting to see how it runs with my 21 Antares DC on it this coming season. Feels great paired together. I also just got the OneTen stick so I’m pretty excited for that one… I throw jigs or jerkbaits probsbly 70% of the time so it’s gonna see a lot of use. Put a Metanium DC on that and gonna run 10lb Invizx

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:23 pm

Also tempted to pick up the Tachyon Shaft too to compare it to the Target Sniper which I really enjoy using… that rod skips jigs like a dream. But I’m torn between the TShaft or getting a Wind Buster

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:53 pm

Dan B wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:23 pm
Also tempted to pick up the Tachyon Shaft too to compare it to the Target Sniper which I really enjoy using… that rod skips jigs like a dream. But I’m torn between the TShaft or getting a Wind Buster
I’m interested in both of those rods as well. But I’m a big fan of the TS

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:06 pm

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:53 pm
Dan B wrote:
Well I didn't get either of those... however I just ordered a Super Destroyer :beat up: lol
The never-ending contributions to the TackleTrap retirement fund... two P5 in less than a month

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:20 am

Dan B wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:06 pm
CodyNeely11 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:53 pm
Dan B wrote:
Well I didn't get either of those... however I just ordered a Super Destroyer :beat up: lol
The never-ending contributions to the TackleTrap retirement fund... two P5 in less than a month
What made you go with the SD? Curious to hear your review once everything thaws out as well.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:53 pm

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:20 am
What made you go with the SD? Curious to hear your review once everything thaws out as well.
The action and weight rating, and kind of the CF grip too. I wanted it as an all purpose rod that I would probably throw chatterbaits on too as I spend a lot of time skipping them. Some of the ones I throw the Target Sniper isn't going to handle.
Out of the line up it is the all purpose rod I think that will fit my needs for a wide range of stuff.

I think I might put my Antares DC 21 on it too... just cause lol.