NRX 854 or Steez Bottom Contact

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX 854 or Steez Bottom Contact

Post by sydaar » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:40 am

Looking for a jig specific rod for 3/8 to 5/8 oz football jigs and have it down to these two. Had the original Bottom Contact and found it a little "mushy" but the new Steez versions seem to be crisper. If anyone has any direct experience with these 2, recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanks

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX 854 or Steez Bottom Contact

Post by jpmoney » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 am

I have used all rods you have mentioned and I will say hands down get the bottom contact 2. It’s a big improvement over the 1st gen model and is faster in action from my experience with it. The NRX 854C isn’t in the same league as the BC2 - considerably less power and less sensitivity IMO. If you look back thru some older posts the 854C is one of the duds in the NRX lineup and I would concur after using one for a short period of time. You will love the Steez I think.

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:00 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 am
I have used all rods you have mentioned and I will say hands down get the bottom contact 2. It’s a big improvement over the 1st gen model and is faster in action from my experience with it. The NRX 854C isn’t in the same league as the BC2 - considerably less power and less sensitivity IMO. If you look back thru some older posts the 854C is one of the duds in the NRX lineup and I would concur after using one for a short period of time. You will love the Steez I think.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had both, and the BCII is easily my favorite jig rod ever. My 854 was just kinda ok haha

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:45 pm

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:00 pm
jpmoney wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 am
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had both, and the BCII is easily my favorite jig rod ever. My 854 was just kinda ok haha
I like the BC1 but I’m intrigued on the BC2
I keep reading post of people who have both and I wish i could give them the Pepsi test while fishing 😂. I’m sure the never version is lighter.
Please keep the comments coming.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:34 pm

I too would like to hear more about BC1 vs BC2. I know 2 is an ounce lighter (which is good). How much more sensitive is BC2?

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:34 pm
I too would like to hear more about BC1 vs BC2. I know 2 is an ounce lighter (which is good). How much more sensitive is BC2?
Pretty subjective and hard to describe. To me, it’s a clear improvement in the sensitivity department, and the BCI was no slouch.

It’s also lighter, faster, and has even lighter guides that seem to be more durable.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:19 pm

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:16 pm
Tigerbass wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:34 pm
Pretty subjective and hard to describe. To me, it’s a clear improvement in the sensitivity department, and the BCI was no slouch.

It’s also lighter, faster, and has even lighter guides that seem to be more durable.
Yes I know it’s subjective that’s why I try to read as many different peoples take on it.
Simply being light isn’t something that will make me jump off the couch. I brought two of gen one cause I liked them that much.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:47 pm

I can only compare the gen 1 steez bottom contact and an NRX 894c but the steez balanced much better. I will say though that I did not like the air sensor reel seat on the steez. I can only fit maybe two fingers on on the exposed blank then my pinky would be under the trigger. Was so uncomfortable to fish that I preferred the tip heavy NRX. The NRX I feel is noticeably more sensitive but not so much that you wouldnt feel the same bite on a steez. If you haven't owned either brands, I suggest you find a retailer near you and actually hold them.
Long live the Jerkbait