New Poison Ultima / New Daiwa Steez rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Poison Ultima / New Daiwa Steez rods

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:37 pm

If I am not mistaken they are near about the same price, couple dollars left or right but what I want to know
is how they compare if you have both.. THT is sold out and Im looking for a new project in a week or two..
I would love to get me a swimbait setup but realistically how often would I use it personally is why I have not.
I see the New Poison Ultima rods and I think it maybe something I can swing and use more often..

After reading about the Sediton rods for some times ( Thanks JDMFishing.com), it seems like they are just as hard to acquire as any other rod so I think the PU will be more accessible for me. but If you have the sedition rods and the new PU rod, how does it compare
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Poison Ultima / New Daiwa Steez rods

Post by Cracker » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:29 am

New Steez rods match the new Poison Glorious line up. The Ultima series matches Daiwa Racing design series. For every Ultima I bought I paid ~$700 plus shipping from Japan.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:00 pm

I only have limited time on my PU 172H that I got last year. I am planning on taking it out next week in my kayak. So far, I am extremely and thoroughly impressed any time I fish it. Absolutely my most sensitive rod (NRX, X7, Luxe Oltre, Steez Bottom Contact, z-bone, etc). I like it so much (even in limited use) I picked up a second one.

I also ordered, and just received today, the PU 1611 ML+.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:44 am

Tigerbass wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:00 pm
I only have limited time on my PU 172H that I got last year. I am planning on taking it out next week in my kayak. So far, I am extremely and thoroughly impressed any time I fish it. Absolutely my most sensitive rod (NRX, X7, Luxe Oltre, Steez Bottom Contact, z-bone, etc). I like it so much (even in limited use) I picked up a second one.

I saw that 72h but after the PA 72 heavy I was disappointed.
What are your plans for the 1611ML ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:50 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:44 am
Tigerbass wrote:

Not 100% sure yet on the 1611 ML+…..haven’t unpacked it yet to determine power and action. Was thinking shakey heads, 2.8 Keitechs, small topwaters. I’ve watched a YouTube video with a guy throwing a 110 JR and it seemed to handle it fine. I will likely try a smaller/lighter crank bait as well.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Tigerbass wrote:

That's some high praise right there. Do you feel that the added sensitivity comes from the handle design?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:23 am

Do the PU models maintain the same action as their lower-end Shimano counterparts? I.e., does the 6'10" M PU have the same action as the Expride?

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:36 pm
Tigerbass wrote:

That's some high praise right there. Do you feel that the added sensitivity comes from the handle design?
Not sure how much of it is the handle or the blank (or combo of both). I took the 172H out this week but didn’t throw it. I did fish the 1611 ML+ a good bit. Started with a 3.3 Keitech on a 1/8 oz underspin. Never got bit. Rod handled that fine. I then tied on a 1/4oz shakey head and Zoom Fluke Stick. Handled that very well! Very good sensitivity and distance paired with a Steez CT. Caught four, including a 3.5 lb spotted bass. Extremely hard fighting fish and the 1611 handled it fine. The rod felt like a medium power to me. Looking forward to getting some more time with the PUs!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:23 am
Do the PU models maintain the same action as their lower-end Shimano counterparts? I.e., does the 6'10" M PU have the same action as the Expride?
Well, got myself a Adrena 6'10" Medium and fished it side-by-side with the Expride. It felt a bit stiffer when just handling it in the garage (Spiral X + High Power X instead of just Spiral X, I guess), but when actually jerkbaiting, both pretty much felt the same. Probably gonna sell the Expride and use the Adrena from now on.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:51 pm
Well, got myself a Adrena 6'10" Medium and fished it side-by-side with the Expride. It felt a bit stiffer when just handling it in the garage (Spiral X + High Power X instead of just Spiral X, I guess), but when actually jerkbaiting, both pretty much felt the same. Probably gonna sell the Expride and use the Adrena from now on.
That's interesting bc the Poison Glorious 6'10M was def more a spinnerbait rod than a JB rod. This gives me hope for the Adrena 610M...although the new MQ Expride HAS to be coming out soon...right?? :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:41 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:32 pm
Drakestar wrote:
That's interesting bc the Poison Glorious 6'10M was def more a spinnerbait rod than a JB rod. This gives me hope for the Adrena 610M...although the new MQ Expride HAS to be coming out soon...right?? :lol:
I have used the PA ( i know you said glorious ) 6'10'm along side the expride 6'10'
I was thinking that the PA was more of a pointer 100 type jb rod.. I have since moved to the Megabass vision 110 magnums.
Im in search of that perfect 110 magnum rod and it will work but it ( the PA ) is awesome in my humble opinion for the pointer 100's as the lure its' self has heavier hooks. I would not use the Expride for such baits but i do use it for the osp equivalent of the vision 110

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:31 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:41 pm
reason162 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:32 pm
Drakestar wrote:
I have used the PA ( i know you said glorious ) 6'10'm along side the expride 6'10'
I was thinking that the PA was more of a pointer 100 type jb rod.. I have since moved to the Megabass vision 110 magnums.
Im in search of that perfect 110 magnum rod and it will work but it ( the PA ) is awesome in my humble opinion for the pointer 100's as the lure its' self has heavier hooks. I would not use the Expride for such baits but i do use it for the osp equivalent of the vision 110
Might be diff'rent strokes for diff'rent people, as well; in my mind the Expride 6'10" Medium is perfect for Vision 110s and Flash Pointer 110s. I always change the hooks to Gamakatsu Aaron Martens TGW Nano G-Finesse Treble Hooks #5, though, so "heavier hooks" doesn't necessarily mean that much to the way I fish. (I use the same hooks in size 6 on Pointer 100s).

But yeah, just switching back and forth quite a bit between Expride 6'10" M (Aldebaran, 10lbs Tatsu, Vision 110), and Poison Adrena (Steez CT TW, 10lbs Tatsu, Vision 110) and I couldn't really tell the difference in how both jerked them baits. Will A/B test a bit more, got about 90 minutes in so far.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tigerbass wrote:

U have the 2020 version? Y were u disappointed?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm
goldrod wrote:
Tigerbass wrote:

U have the 2020 version? Y were u disappointed?

IMHO I thought the rod would be more close to the Gen 1 Cumara
I had the Gen 1 Cumara in medhvy and it was more to my liking than this so called heavy.
They are worlds apart and in all honesty I see this rod ( I have two of them, but that was a complete accident not on my part)
the PA 7'2" heavy as more of a spinnerbait, chatter bait rod not to MY liking for a texas rig rod..
Its slower in action to me and that drives me bananas.. Just my take on it..

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:05 pm

Just for clarification my disappointment was in the 7’2” heavy poison Adrena
I don’t have the ultima yet