Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

Post by djd » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:08 am

Last year around this time I posted (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=84969&p=684762#p684762) my issues with MB Destroyer Daemos rods. In a (2) day stretch I broke one swinging a 2lb fish in the boat and the following day another swinging a 2.5lber. Both about 2/3 of the way up the rod. The Spring before it was a Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Roll rod. The Fall before that it was a XX Diablo Spec and a XX Flip Stick. Year before it was a Black Jungle Frog rod. 6 rods in 3 years. I've also had multiple issues with guides on XX rods pulling out of the windings. I don't think I've had 5 rods break in the 20 years before that. I LOVE the action and sensitivity of the MB rods, but truthfully I'm looking to replace all of them.

devilmen77
Angler
Angler

Post by devilmen77 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:49 am

People who break that many rods are the same people who dont know how to set then break there lines then blame it on the line.. I own many many megabass rods since they 1st came out and other high end rods and never had one break on me.. Learn how to use your equipment properly... :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:21 pm

djd wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:08 am
Last year around this time I posted (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=84969&p=684762#p684762) my issues with MB Destroyer Daemos rods. In a (2) day stretch I broke one swinging a 2lb fish in the boat and the following day another swinging a 2.5lber. Both about 2/3 of the way up the rod. The Spring before it was a Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Roll rod. The Fall before that it was a XX Diablo Spec and a XX Flip Stick. Year before it was a Black Jungle Frog rod. 6 rods in 3 years. I've also had multiple issues with guides on XX rods pulling out of the windings. I don't think I've had 5 rods break in the 20 years before that. I LOVE the action and sensitivity of the MB rods, but truthfully I'm looking to replace all of them.

What are you selling?

I’ve seen a guy break a rod because the line had wrapped around the tip
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:10 pm

Swinging fish will absolutely destroy a rod. Fish shouldn't be swong in to begin with. If you want to use the rod to place a fish in the boat then lift with the rod at 90 degrees in relation to your body and pick up the fish, then walk and use your whole body to convey the fish to where you want it. Standing in place and swinging a fish to you at chest height with the rod is highly prone to breaking rod tips. If it doesn't snap right then and there then it will shortly after on a cast or hookset. The damage was done on the high stick. This is especially true of the modern paper think bank walls modern rods use.

devilmen77
Angler
Angler

Post by devilmen77 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:41 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:10 pm
Swinging fish will absolutely destroy a rod. Fish shouldn't be swong in to begin with. If you want to use the rod to place a fish in the boat then lift with the rod at 90 degrees in relation to your body and pick up the fish, then walk and use your whole body to convey the fish to where you want it. Standing in place and swinging a fish to you at chest height with the rod is highly prone to breaking rod tips. If it doesn't snap right then and there then it will shortly after on a cast or hookset. The damage was done on the high stick. This is especially true of the modern paper think bank walls modern rods use.
Lowrange 100 percent right ..same concept as fly rods... you will break 2/3 rd up the rod if u dont use a landing net especially if the rod is long.. ..when u boat flip or swing a fish in if its not done right ur rod will break...swinging it chest high towards u so u can grab the fish that will do it... just like setting the hook if not done right ur line will break..

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:55 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:21 pm
djd wrote:

What are you selling?

I love it when people post contradictions without even taking the time to digest what was posted. Did I mention having line wrapped around the guides on the 6 rods that broke in 3 years? Or that I believe it’s fine to high stick flip a bass in the boat? Maybe I asked the fly fishing posse their stance on boat flipping? Did I not mention that I hadn’t broke 5 rods in the previous 20 years? I relayed my experience with MB Rods (The same experience others have had, good and bad). I should have known that somebody with MB Blinders on would try and discredit my account.

I’m sponsored by my personal bank account and don’t sell rods for a living or as a side hustle. IMHO rods marketed for bass fishing should be capable of swinging 2-2.5lb (If not bigger) fish in the boat without breakage or having the guides pull out from the windings. If someone feels different that’s fine but my sponsor (my personal bank account) feels the money could be better spent elsewhere.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:50 am

djd wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:55 am
goldrod wrote:
djd wrote:

What are you selling?

I love it when people post contradictions without even taking the time to digest what was posted. Did I mention having line wrapped around the guides on the 6 rods that broke in 3 years? Or that I believe it’s fine to high stick flip a bass in the boat? Maybe I asked the fly fishing posse their stance on boat flipping? Did I not mention that I hadn’t broke 5 rods in the previous 20 years? I relayed my experience with MB Rods (The same experience others have had, good and bad). I should have known that somebody with MB Blinders on would try and discredit my account.

I’m sponsored by my personal bank account and don’t sell rods for a living or as a side hustle. IMHO rods marketed for bass fishing should be capable of swinging 2-2.5lb (If not bigger) fish in the boat without breakage or having the guides pull out from the windings. If someone feels different that’s fine but my sponsor (my personal bank account) feels the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Sir,

Your riding the wrong horse.
It seemed to me that you were implying selling or getting rid of some rods.

I have had megabass rods break on me. Anomalies or defective whatever you want to call it. But in my PERSONAL experience I saw a guy break a non Megabass rod due to the fact that his line got wrapped around the tip of his rod and he didn’t notice when he set the hook.
I was not and am not accusing you of the same! Just mentioned it because once again it happened and the guy I was fishing with didn’t noticed. And after that it was a lesson I learned from.
If you feel as though I was attacking you personally. I was not and I am not.

If I misinterpreted you selling or getting rid of some rod.
No worries I am clear Now.
Peace health and love
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:55 am

djd wrote:
goldrod wrote:
djd wrote:

What are you selling?

Sir,

I have had megabass rods break on me. Anomalies or defective whatever you want to call it. But in my PERSONAL experience I saw a guy break a non Megabass rod due to the fact that his line got wrapped around the tip of his rod and he didn’t notice when he set the hook.
I was not and am not accusing you of the same! Just mentioned it because once again it happened and the guy I was fishing with didn’t noticed. And after that it was a lesson I learned from.

Peace health and love

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:58 am

djd wrote:
goldrod wrote:
djd wrote:

What are you selling?

You have repeatedly mentioned swinging fish into the boat on this thread and the other one. That's a sure fire way to break the tip off a modern rod. Not defending MB here but if the want to swing fish into the boat then consider other rods. Stay away from light weight high performance rods if boat flipping is a high priority. Go for the old sticks with the heavy blanks and thick blank walls that are super resilient, durable but heavy. I've got old sticks like that I can't kill and have thrown 6 oz musky baits rated on rods with a functional upper limit of 1 oz max. Then I have modern high performance light weight sticks that snap the tip off mishandling them getting them out of the car.

devilmen77
Angler
Angler

Post by devilmen77 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:15 am

Get an ugly stick and you can boat flip to your hearts content.. It will never break on you.. I have done it many times in the past boat flipping carps and never had one break !!!

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:20 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:55 am
djd wrote:
goldrod wrote:
djd wrote:

What are you selling?

Sir,

Peace health and love
NP. Not trying to start anything just wanted to relay my experience with MB Rods. I have a bunch of XX Perfect Pitch and EMF and zero breakage (just guides pulling out). Before I bought a bunch of MB Rods I fished Powell and G Loomis. Never had issue with those brands, Dobyns or Daiwa. I just think MB has certain models that are very prone to breakage regardless of Power Rating. And the XX rods have guides that pull out of their windings. It’s frustrating because they often have unique wide range applications that are perfect for certain baits I throw often. Combined with a less than stellar warranty (If they even have stock to replace a warrantied rod) and it seems like you either have to baby their rods or be willing to replace them regularly.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:24 pm

devilmen77 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:15 am
Get an ugly stick and you can boat flip to your hearts content.. It will never break on you.. I have done it many times in the past boat flipping carps and never had one break !!!
I ain't fishin' no Ugly Stik and and I ain't boat flippin' no carps!!! :lol: ;) Those poles are about as sensitive as my appendix after it was removed! :P I hope you are just being funny :big grin: My friends love to tell me how their Ugly Stiks are better than my custom rods. One of them fell asleep while he was fishing bait and his combo got dragged in the water and was lost. I asked him how strong and unbreakable his rod was then. A person with a custom or Megabass rod never sleeps on the job! [-X

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:05 am

My 6'6" Medium ugly stick elite is sensitive...it's just over 10 ounces of rod weight by itself. :lol:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:30 am

while the reel seats were absolute garbage, I've flipped 100's of bass in the boat on my NRX rods and never had a breakage.

The notion that you can't flip a bass in the boat is ridiculous.
1-2%

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:49 pm

This post is so derailed I thought we were speaking on Megabass rods breaking while casting. Boat flipping and NRX talk :P