2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Johnny A » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:27 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm
bring this back as I need to pick between 69MH Target Sniper and 73MH Utility Player. I know TS is a better fit for close quarter and dock skipping, UP probably better at distance, other than that any noticeable differences in power, action?

will be using the rod for 3/8 to 1/2oz (a lot more 1/2oz than 3/8oz) jack hammer, Megabass UoZE, SV-3, OSP high pitcher, 1/4oz flashy swimmer + gambler EZ swimmer, and jigs + trailer. mostly light to moderate cover

and I am thinking getting 72H power pitch for heavier stuff.

any thoughts on one is better than the other? the JDM steez 66MH machine gun type 2 is the other rod I am considering

I have the JDM Machinegun Cast Type I and use it for shallow cranks, med-cranks to 1/2 oz. The type 2 should be more than acceptable.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:04 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:27 pm
StymoDe wrote:
bring this back as I need to pick between 69MH Target Sniper and 73MH Utility Player. I know TS is a better fit for close quarter and dock skipping, UP probably better at distance, other than that any noticeable differences in power, action?

will be using the rod for 3/8 to 1/2oz (a lot more 1/2oz than 3/8oz) jack hammer, Megabass UoZE, SV-3, OSP high pitcher, 1/4oz flashy swimmer + gambler EZ swimmer, and jigs + trailer. mostly light to moderate cover

any thoughts on one is better than the other? the JDM steez 66MH machine gun type 2 is the other rod I am considering

I have the JDM Machinegun Cast Type I and use it for shallow cranks, med-cranks to 1/2 oz. The type 2 should be more than acceptable.
JA think I saw somewhere you like JDM Steez Rods actions better than USDM Steez rods, can you explain a bit?

TBH I am less motivated to get JDM Steez...by looking at blank materials JDM Steez use SVF nanoplus for versatile/reaction rods, and SVF Compile-X for bottom contact ones, SVF Compile-X nanoplus applies only to the new Real Control series...so I figure USDM Steez has SVF Compile-X nanoplus + AGS should be an upgrade to JDM Steez, with the exception of Steez RC, which apparently their flagship now.

that said, they are intended for different markets with different models and actions, blank alone probably not gonna dictate which is superior, at least in my eyes JDM model looks much better :lol:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:32 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:04 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:27 pm
StymoDe wrote:

JA think I saw somewhere you like JDM Steez Rods actions better than USDM Steez rods, can you explain a bit?

TBH I am less motivated to get JDM Steez...by looking at blank materials JDM Steez use SVF nanoplus for versatile/reaction rods, and SVF Compile-X for bottom contact ones, SVF Compile-X nanoplus applies only to the new Real Control series...so I figure USDM Steez has SVF Compile-X nanoplus + AGS should be an upgrade to JDM Steez, with the exception of Steez RC, which apparently their flagship now.

that said, they are intended for different markets with different models and actions, blank alone probably not gonna dictate which is superior, at least in my eyes JDM model looks much better :lol:
I had a USDM Steez 7'1" pitchin'/jig rod about 20 years ago or so. I was not impressed based upon my experience. I had a couple of JDM TD Battler JDM AND 2 JDM Steez rods about the same time frame as the USDM and liked them a lot. It could be because the JDM models were moving bait rods and the USDM was a jig rod.
I have the Harrier and caught my personal best 8lb 8oz LMB a few months back on it. Sensitive, strong, powerful.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:00 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:32 pm
I had a USDM Steez 7'1" pitchin'/jig rod about 20 years ago or so. I was not impressed based upon my experience. I had a couple of JDM TD Battler JDM AND 2 JDM Steez rods about the same time frame as the USDM and liked them a lot. It could be because the JDM models were moving bait rods and the USDM was a jig rod.
I'm guessing you may be referring to the old Compile-X 71H rod? Beautiful stick, well built, but like you I was unimpressed in terms of sensitivity in particular. The 21 US Daiwa Steez AGS rods (STAGS) are far and away US Daiwas best yet. The blanks are impressive, the reel seat is comfortable, they have 2nd generation AGS guides, there are some great models in the line up, so yes I'm a fan of them :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:49 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:00 am
Johnny A wrote:
I'm guessing you may be referring to the old Compile-X 71H rod? Beautiful stick, well built, but like you I was unimpressed in terms of sensitivity in particular. The 21 US Daiwa Steez AGS rods (STAGS) are far and away US Daiwas best yet. The blanks are impressive, the reel seat is comfortable, they have 2nd generation AGS guides, there are some great models in the line up, so yes I'm a fan of them :lol:
That's the one, Brotha! I actually watched a bass pick a jig up in 2' feet of water and felt nothing.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:10 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:49 am
bronzefly wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
That's the one, Brotha! I actually watched a bass pick a jig up in 2' feet of water and felt nothing.
That's funny and a very good representation of my experiences with it too :lol: I couldn't believe how "nice" that rod was but how dead it felt. The new 21 Steez AGS rods are easily on par with the best of the best from any US manufacturer in terms of sensitivity. That 72H Power Pitch is a jig/plastic pitching machine!!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:01 am

Johnny A wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I actually like my compile x for c-rigs and punching 1/2 and heavier lures. One of the best buys I've done. But I do love my new 7-3 utility player

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:03 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:01 am
Johnny A wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I actually like my compile x for c-rigs and punching 1/2 and heavier lures. One of the best buys I've done. But I do love my new 7-3 utility player

Jeff
My personal experience between the 2022 JDM Harrier 6'10"? Current PB LMB @ 8lb 8oz using an OSP DoLive Stick 4.5, when the bass took the bait, it was like a touching a spider web on an arm hair. Night and day sensation. That was sensitive.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:09 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I haven't purchased a Steez rod since buying that infamous compile-X rod back in '07. It was like a really hot chick that was terrible in bed. I'm sure they are a lot better now...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:59 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:09 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I haven't purchased a Steez rod since buying that infamous compile-X rod back in '07. It was like a really hot chick that was terrible in bed. I'm sure they are a lot better now...
That's absolutely hilarious and so true :lol: Some may say that the 21 Steez AGS rods aren't as hot as the old Compile-X, but they sure get it done where it really counts 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:53 am

Anyone have the hood crack on the lock nut? Mine cracked yesterday on my target sniper while fighting a fish. Cracked right where it meets the reel foot. Sure hope Daiwa warranties it. It's only a little over a year old.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:11 pm

They will I'm sure. 5 yr warranty on these rods I believe.
Philippians 4:6

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:20 am

Anyone have any thoughts on the 7'2 Moving Bait Versatile? Could it do a 3/8-1/2 chatterbait with trailer? Thanks

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:28 am

clemsondds wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:20 am
Anyone have any thoughts on the 7'2 Moving Bait Versatile? Could it do a 3/8-1/2 chatterbait with trailer? Thanks
I would not fish a chatterbait with it. I originally got one for sq bill fishing. I quickly realized it execels at swim jig fishing. IMHO they should rename it to the swim jig special.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:53 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:53 am
Anyone have the hood crack on the lock nut? Mine cracked yesterday on my target sniper while fighting a fish. Cracked right where it meets the reel foot. Sure hope Daiwa warranties it. It's only a little over a year old.
First I've heard of that problem. They will warranty it I'm sure. If I can help out at all, let me know.
fishonsc wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:28 am
clemsondds wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:20 am
I would not fish a chatterbait with it. I originally got one for sq bill fishing. I quickly realized it execels at swim jig fishing. IMHO they should rename it to the swim jig special.
It is an incredible swim jig rod indeed. I'd agree that a 1/2 oz chatter bait with a big chunky trailer is pushing it, but I've fished 3/8 oz chatter baits on it no problem and toss a lot of 3/8 oz spinner baits too. It works well for me, but I know a couple of guys who toss 1/2 oz quite a bit on the MBV using braid and they like it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap