Anyone use Megabass Orochi Destruction 70

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Anyone use Megabass Orochi Destruction 70

Post by RustyHook » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Was just looking at a swimbait rods in the ⅜-2oz range that has some versitility. Saw the Megabass Orochi XX Destruction 70 but could not find much info on it from personal use. Also looking at the Poison Andrena 7'4" H ⅜-2oz.which I found good info.

So anyone have any experience with the MB Orochi XXX Destruction 70? Seems it also comes in a JDM 2 pc

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Re: Anyone use Megabass Orochi Destruction 70

Post by RustyHook » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Guess its one mega bass rod not too popular. :doh:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:02 pm

I'm not sure if it's a case of the rod not being popular or more the spec... typically, sticks with a lure range of 2 ounces or more do better here in North America when they're 7'-4" or longer. The 7'-0" length with that high of a lure rating is more a JDM spec.

Having said that, the P5 Tequila Baccarac by Megabass is also a 7 footer but rated up to 4 oz in lure weight and is pretty popular.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 pm

That's sort of what I was thinking. I do recall people being excited over the super demon which was even more extreme in its tip vs backbone taper. Maybe it's my lack of experience in dedicated high level bass fishing but it seems to me these rods that have a wide range of tip to backbone ⅜-2oz and are of high quality blanks are extremely versatile rods. Part of it maybe I come from saltwater fishing where in general we would run 3-4 rods per person max even for wide ranging target styles and areas.

I am not well versed in Japanese bass culture and preferred styles tech etc vs American. Why is it that JDM prefer sub 7' rods vs USA where we see the same models but in 7'- 7'8"+ ?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:26 am

RustyHook wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 pm
I am not well versed in Japanese bass culture and preferred styles tech etc vs American. Why is it that JDM prefer sub 7' rods vs USA where we see the same models but in 7'- 7'8"+ ?
I haven't spoken to anyone to know, but my guess is simply the shorter rods are easier to transport. All rods spec'd for the JDM market are shorter than what we typically find these days in the US.

But you are correct in the versatility of these 7' sticks with that large lure range. We have a few reviews up and some in the works with sticks like this. Unfortunately, the Orochi XXX Destruction 70 is not one of them.

Published Reviews:
- Evergreen TKLC-71MHX
- Megabass Destroyer X7 F7-71X7
- Megabass Orochi X4 F6-72X4
- Evergreen Light Cavalry CLCC-71J
- Evergreen TKIC-71MH
- Evergreen OCSC-71H+

In the Works:
- Gan Craft KG-00 6-710EXH Dead Sword
- Megabass Destroyer P5 F7-70X Tequila Baccarac
- Legit Design WSC-72H+
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:35 am

RustyHook wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm
Was just looking at a swimbait rods in the ⅜-2oz range that has some versitility. Saw the Megabass Orochi XX Destruction 70 but could not find much info on it from personal use. Also looking at the Poison Andrena 7'4" H ⅜-2oz.which I found good info.

So anyone have any experience with the MB Orochi XXX Destruction 70? Seems it also comes in a JDM 2 pc
If you don't care about length, the 7'7 H Expride and Millerods Swimfreak were both designed for that application. I have both rods and use them for that purpose, but they also work well for Alabama rigs and I use them to crank milfoil weed edges.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:21 am

I pair my Destruction 70 with a Ryoga 1520HL. It's a great moving bait rod in that 1-2oz range. It can also be used for heavier bottom contact in a pinch. I tried frogging with it and the handle length is a little longer than I prefer. Great build quality, which is typical Megabass. All guides are also double footed.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:02 am

The destruction 70 is a great rod. Its light and balanced well. Its alot of fun to use. It's a purchase I believe you will be very happy with. I plan on picking up another one for a backup before they are gone. It's a great one rod that can do alot type of rod. So far I have used it for...

1.Hollow body frogs
2. Punching with a 1oz weight.
3. 1oz spinnerbaits with 5" trailer.
4.Skipping 1/2 jigs with creature bait.

I hope this helps

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks Cal for the info.. I'm still learning.

Thanks guys for all the help. If I can secure the rod I will report back.

Thanks for the info on the other rod choices as well. I am building my gear up at a steady pace so this is all very helpful.

The reel planned for this rod I just got in. Zillion TW HD 1520 7.3. I hope it makes a good balanced setup.

Cheers

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 pm

I use mine specifically for 1 to 2 oz swimbaits. Imo it's perfect for that. Been really loving the new savage gear pulse tail on this rod.