Swim Jig rods (Suggestions)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Birdman2136
Angler
Angler

Swim Jig rods (Suggestions)

Post by Birdman2136 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Hey all I was looking to pick up one of two rods as a dedicated swim jig rod. I'm looking at Diablo Spec R in either the Orochi XX or Levante models.

I'm know I can pre order the Levante model from certain places and that it might be tough to find it in the Orochi model, I was hoping though that maybe people here would give me a few other options to look at. I would like my budget to cut off at the Orochi XX price tag.

Thanks!

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Swim Jig rods (Suggestions)

Post by jmd_143 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 am

7'2 MH Expride. In my experience, its a great swim jig rod. I have both the orochi xx Diablo Spec R (gen 1) and the expride. they are similar rods, with the expride being slightly stiffer in the tip, but similar powers. The expride is super versatile, just like the DSR. Similar sensativity, but i would give the slight edge to the expride, but not by much. Typically, i have a TRig/jig on my expride and a swim jig/small paddle tail on the DSR but if need be, i would have no issues using either rod for either technique, as long as you stay in the weight range.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:55 am

I've thrown 1/4-3/8 swim jigs with MB Destroyer Daemos, XX DSR & EMTF, older Powell Max 734 & 765. If the XX EMTF isn't too long for you, I highly recommend it. I've thrown swim jigs from 1/8 to 7/16 with it. Light wire or heavier wire (depending on the cover). With a light wire hook, the fish hook themselves on braid and a heavier wire hook doesn't require much more than a pull set. It is remarkably accurate, especially considering it is a 7'5" rod.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm

braillist is a pretty good option to consider also...

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Depends on how you fish your swim jigs, as well: if you reel them back with astraight-retrieve, I think the Levante will be fine. If you like to actually jig them with bottom contact (I drag and hop swim jigs through grass beds a lot, with occasional soaking) I'd go for the additional sensitivity of an Orochi XX. I have the Shakyhead in that line and I think it's plenty sensitive for its price range, makes for a great bottom contact rod.

Birdman2136
Angler
Angler

Post by Birdman2136 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks guys, I ended up purchasing the Levante DSR. I live in Wisconsin, so I have only set it up with 30lb braid and a Curado DC. Initial thoughts are with a 1/4oz swim jig it feels great and casts well into the snow haha.

I think I plan on getting a Orochi XX version when they become available because I love the full handle cork grips.

My runners up ended up being the 7'2 Shimano Zodias, 7'2 Phenix M1, or the ALX Toadface.

So far though I feel great about the Levante.