Swim Jig Rod Suggestion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swim Jig Rod Suggestion

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 am

The P5 Dark Sleeper is a sweet finesse/light wire swim jig rod...

On a more modest budget, but a LOT of rod for the money, the Daiwa Kage 7'1"MXF is a great light swim jig (among other things) rod as well. That entire Kage line is impressive actually...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm
GLX/NRX MBR 843 would be a good choice if you are open to something outside of Mb.

The Orichi XX EMTF gen 1 rod is a good 3/8 oz swim jig rod for what you describe but it is longer in length
Definitely leaning toward the 843 MBR- do you have experience with either the GLX or NRX?

I have a Gen 1 Levante EMTF and while I agree that the action/power is there and if I was fishing open water it would be perfect but I need to be able to skip under over hanging cover with ease from a smaller boat or from the bank- I am just under 6ft tall so I don't think a 7'5" would be in my best interest.
With the GLX I do both custom and factory. The 843 MBR would be the rod for swimjigs with a good tip to skip them too. It is also at 7 foot which is a plus for you as well.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:43 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 am
The P5 Dark Sleeper is a sweet finesse/light wire swim jig rod...

On a more modest budget, but a LOT of rod for the money, the Daiwa Kage 7'1"MXF is a great light swim jig (among other things) rod as well. That entire Kage line is impressive actually...
Hmmm you got me thinking with the P5 darksleeper :-k The only thing that scares me is the 4.5 power since the Black Elseil is the same- I think the fast taper is what I am looking for though. The Black Elseil had the power just not the back bone to detect slack line bites, detect bites where they swim at you, or the ability to snap free from grass with ease.

Have you used the Madbull at all yet? The "regular" taper is shying me away but that carbon reel seat is sooo sick.

I will definitely keep the Kage in mind- especially at that price! Thanks for the info!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Not to dissuade you from the P5 suggestion...

Just wanted to touch on your comment that the Black Elseil was the right power just the wrong taper. If that’s the case and you decide to go G.Loomis, I think the MBR842C would suit you better. It’s essentially the same as the Elseil except it has a faster taper.

Alternatively, the 852c NRX is even faster but it’s 7’-1” ... another option if you’re open to NRX - if they still offer it, would be an 802C ... but again, not sure if it’s still made. I can’t keep up with G.Loomis and what they drop, bring back, etc., anymore.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:51 pm

MCROUT14 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm
GLX/NRX MBR 843 would be a good choice if you are open to something outside of Mb.

The Orichi XX EMTF gen 1 rod is a good 3/8 oz swim jig rod for what you describe but it is longer in length
Definitely leaning toward the 843 MBR- do you have experience with either the GLX or NRX?
Based on a lot of experience with the GLX, it'll do a great job at 1/4-3/8oz swimjigs, even in some vegetation. T-rigged senkos, smaller underspins etc., as well. Based on experience with other NRXs (don't have the 843 MBR), it'll do an even better job than the GLX ;)

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 am
I've been throwing swim jigs a ton in sparse and heavy vegetation. Used a number of rods (bank fisherman, I don't always have them all with me):

1/4 and 5/16: Loomis GLX 843 and ZBone 733.
3/8 and 1/2: Dobyns Xtasy 754 and Destroyer FMJ.
3/4: Destroyer Bunker Buster.

All of those rods have a fast (but not XF) taper, and that's worked well for me. I'm a bank fisherman, so the "If I could only have Oone" question is rather complicated... I'd go with the Xtasy or FMJ depending on required casting distance. If I could have two, it would be the FMJ and Zbone to cover the 1/4-1/2oz range (and I do in fact take both rods a lot). I usually throw 3/8oz-1/2oz on the regular jig rod earlier in the morning, and once that bite dies, going to a finesse swimjig on the ZBone has worked well to keep fish biting.

All the options you mention seem to have a med-fast taper and be built for cranking. I'd definitely target the action of a traditional jig rod for this technique to drive the hooks.

what trailers are you using with the zbone for those 1/4 swim jigs? I'm primarily a bank fisherman too and just ordered the 7'3 lmh zbone.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Nimitz wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 pm

what trailers are you using with the zbone for those 1/4 swim jigs? I'm primarily a bank fisherman too and just ordered the 7'3 lmh zbone.
You're doing yourself a dis-service if you've not tried a Reaction Innovations Spicy Beaver as a trailer on a swim-jig no matter what size.
Cal, Managing Editor

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

You're doing yourself a dis-service if you've not tried a Reaction Innovations Spicy Beaver as a trailer on a swim-jig no matter what size.
solid, I'll check them out. I just picked up some sweet beavers, I've been mainly using the netbait paca chunks.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Nimitz wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 pm
I've been mainly using the netbait paca chunks.
Those are good too, but those Spicy Beavers are special.
Cal, Managing Editor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Nimitz wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Since it's smaller swim jigs it's either a smaller Keitech (3.3 or 3.8 inch) or a Reaction Innovations Little Dipper. I usually imitate bluegill and crappie, btw.

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Since it's smaller swim jigs it's either a smaller Keitech (3.3 or 3.8 inch) or a Reaction Innovations Little Dipper. I usually imitate bluegill and crappie, btw.
I love my north star swim jigs with the 3.3 and 3.8 as well. =D>

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:43 am
Have you used the Madbull at all yet? The "regular" taper is shying me away but that carbon reel seat is sooo sick.
Yes, the Madbull is a true medium heavy with good power and a smooth, even action that flexes deeply into the blank. I fish spinner baits, vibrating jigs, various treble baits from 3/4 to 3/4 oz, and have fished swim jigs with it as well. It's very versatile and plenty sensitive for some bottom contact presentations despite the slower action. If you want a fast action rod however, this isn't the one for you. I've found it to be an excellent swim jig rod in general, even with braid around grass.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:59 am

I've thrown 1/4-3/8 swim jigs with MB Destroyer Daemos, XX DSR & EMTF, older Powell Max 734 & 765. If the XX EMTF isn't too long for you, I highly recommend it. I've thrown swim jigs from 1/8 to 7/16 with it. Light wire or heavier wire (depending on the cover). With a light wire hook, the fish hook themselves on braid and a heavier wire hook doesn't require much more than a pull set. It is remarkably accurate, especially considering it is a 7'5" rod.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:09 pm

Conquest 843 would be my first choice. ZBone 734 or GLX 843 are also great for this application.

More budget friendly options for me would be an IMX 843 or ALX Zolo Deputy/Toadface (depending on power preference).

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:11 pm

My go to is a Zillion 7' MHXF. I have a Legend Elite 7' M that will also get some work.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)