Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rod

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Anyone tracking this rod?
Its supposed to replace the 702c rod that many love if I am not mistaken. Im skeptical but the price point is supposed to be $179.00 so not tooo bad. Any interest in this rod? Should be for the BFS crowd and I'm wondering how well it will perform especially on the sensitivity front.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rod

Post by montey » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:59 pm

Where are you seeing this rod?

Mavn
Angler
Angler

Re: Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rod

Post by Mavn » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:21 pm

I think it's projected to be released Dec or some time next year. Gary did a live Q&A somewhere recently and may have talked about it then, I haven't given it a listen. They're replacing the dx701c, but they are lighter in power. Supposedly light tips with solid backbone iirc. Not sure if it's a solid tip situation or not.
Sensitivity, well it's a dobyns. Some will be fine with it and others will think it's trash.

edit
They are solid tipped rods because the blanks are too thin to be tubular at the tip(from Gary himself). If you use reels like the alphas air tw and aldebaran bfs you'll be able to cast 2g total weight, if you using a slightly less finesse reel 2g weight with something is realistic.