Light BFS or ML rod for finesse.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Light BFS or ML rod for finesse.

Post by heyitzpetah » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi, I've been researching a lot of JDM rods lately and i came upon the shimano poison ultima, however there wasn't a ML available. Only light BFS was available, would a light action BFS rod be too under powered for bottom contact finesse jigs < 1/8 oz and 4 inch wacky senkos with weed guard ?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Light BFS or ML rod for finesse.

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:26 pm

One company may call a "light" something that feels like a "medium light" from another company. Further, the concept behind one specific rod will lead you to an understanding of its intended purposes, provided that the company goes into detail about the intent behind each model, which is uncommon.

The new Megabass Destroyer P5 Bait Finesse (Hein) is an interesting rod. It's slower in action than the 2016/Carbon Head version, but has nice power and loads up lighter baits very nicely. It can certainly handle finesse jigs in the 1/16 to 1/4 oz range, provided its matched with the right line and reel, but has nice versatility for larger treble moving baits and lighter single hook applications.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Hi, I've been researching a lot of JDM rods lately and i came upon the shimano poison ultima, however there wasn't a ML available. Only light BFS was available, would a light action BFS rod be too under powered for bottom contact finesse jigs < 1/8 oz and 4 inch wacky senkos with weed guard ?
What kind of line will you be using? Are you mostly interested in the Ultima, or would you consider other rods? Bfs labeled rods can vary quite a bit. With that Senko (I'm assuming weightless), I'd opt for a medium light personally. I can't speak on that particular Ultima model, but I'm sure owners will chime in. The rod I use for such things is a Phenix K2 683ml. It can handle a 1/8 oz jig head with small plastic perfectly. Loads well on the cast, and I never feel under or over powered.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:26 pm

I would definitely be interested in other rod suggestions. The mega bass hien sounds like something up my alley. I'm using a aldebaran bfs with 6-8 lb line normally. The K2 is a moderate taper correct? I was hoping for more stiffer extra fast tip

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:26 pm
I would definitely be interested in other rod suggestions. The mega bass hien sounds like something up my alley. I'm using a aldebaran bfs with 6-8 lb line normally. The K2 is a moderate taper correct? I was hoping for more stiffer extra fast tip
On the faster side of moderate fast. Great choice for light wire hooks and small moving baits, weightless plastics, etc.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 pm
heyitzpetah wrote:
On the faster side of moderate fast. Great choice for light wire hooks and small moving baits, weightless plastics, etc.
Are the guides on the ML K2 also micro guides? I don't know why i prefer smaller guides, it makes the rod look more sleek.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 am

heyitzpetah wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
heyitzpetah wrote:
Are the guides on the ML K2 also micro guides? I don't know why i prefer smaller guides, it makes the rod look more sleek.
Yes, all of them are Torzite Microguides. Just be sure to read up on how the power of that blank is advertised (quite a few posts on the forum), K2s fish lighter than their advertised power.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:22 am
heyitzpetah wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
heyitzpetah wrote:
Yes, all of them are Torzite Microguides. Just be sure to read up on how the power of that blank is advertised (quite a few posts on the forum), K2s fish lighter than their advertised power.
Okay thanks for the info, I have avoided phenixs because of it being under powered and more parabolic in action.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:38 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Okay thanks for the info, I have avoided phenixs because of it being under powered and more parabolic in action.
Their rating is lower and on top of that, their power number is confusing. But it’s easy to account for that. A Phenix K2 medium-light (713) is more like a Loomis 1.5 in power. A K2 medium-heavy (714) is more like a Loomis 2.5 in power. And if you’re looking for a 3/8 to 1/2oz jig rod, get their heavy model (765), it’ll act like a 4-power jig rod. At least that’s what I’ve pieced together from various comments and reviews, and it matches my experience with the 713 that I own (awesome rod, btw!)

I haven’t had any problem with the slower actions, makes the rod more versatile and I’ve still been able to drive hooks. Reading bottom contact isn’t negatively affected by the taper. Just gotta make sure the rod has the power you expect, especially when you plan on driving home single hooks.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:56 pm

The K2 model I mentioned has 320 grams of power. Perfect for what you want to do. It tops out a half ounce imo, and will cast and load a 1/16 oz jig plus trailer with the right reel. Mine is a custom, so I can't speak on the guide sizes. Extremely sensitive blank imo. One of the best I've held, though I can't compare it to an Ultima. I do love me some JDM Shimano rods. Very nice blanks as well.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:54 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:56 pm
The K2 model I mentioned has 320 grams of power. Perfect for what you want to do. It tops out a half ounce imo, and will cast and load a 1/16 oz jig plus trailer with the right reel. Mine is a custom, so I can't speak on the guide sizes. Extremely sensitive blank imo. One of the best I've held, though I can't compare it to an Ultima. I do love me some JDM Shimano rods. Very nice blanks as well.
You guys made the K2 sound like a very good option now. If i was to choose the K2, i would likely go custom route and that's a whole new rabbit hole I am not sure I am able to follow.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:22 am

Another vote for Phenix K2 C713ml. I've used mine for a season now and love it for small jerkbaits, wacky rigged 4" Senko's, 3" tubes, Keitech 4" Easy Shiner, and light texas rigs. I have a custom built on a K2 blank and liked it so much, I bought the 683ML. I have a Steez CT SV on mine and use 8LB Sniper. The rod is very sensitive and light and the handle is comfortable.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:31 pm

If you're really looking to put a dent in your wallet, I think the medium light versions of the Poison Glorious would be fantastic to try.
168ml - Greyhound
1610ml - Mighty finesse
There are so many wicked JDM sticks out there... Enough to make your head spin.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:02 am

I had the PG Mighty Finesse and it worked well with 3/16 oz jigs and Keitech swim baits.

I now own the 1610L BFS Poison Ultima, and it's great for light neds, and finesse tubes on a 1/8 oz jighead. Larger tubes, I would move up to a ML BFS rod. It's very sensitive and more crisp than the PG. I've brought in a couple of 20" smallies with it on the river. I'm very impressed with this rod.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:08 pm

Schlag wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:02 am
I had the PG Mighty Finesse and it worked well with 3/16 oz jigs and Keitech swim baits.

I now own the 1610L BFS Poison Ultima, and it's great for light neds, and finesse tubes on a 1/8 oz jighead. Larger tubes, I would move up to a ML BFS rod. It's very sensitive and more crisp than the PG. I've brought in a couple of 20" smallies with it on the river. I'm very impressed with this rod.

thank you! your feedback means a lot i appreciate it.