IMX Pro ice rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IMX Pro ice rods

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 pm

I was going through fish usa website today and ran into a page of GLoomis IMX Pro ice rods.
I've searched everything to see if I can find any details but can not.

https://www.fishusa.com/G.-Loomis-IMX-PRO-Ice-Rod

Is this true and is there any info you can tell us? @Bantam1
Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:12 am

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: IMX Pro ice rods

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:12 pm

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:54 pm

What I would personally like to see is a real development in a functional ice rod with baitcasting reels in mind.

For sure when one gets rid of the short rod's pulsating effect from a spinning reel set up, that changes so much about fish fighting from a short vertical drop into a hole in the ice.

When line watching with the line on top of the rod tip, one basically reduce the whole concept of the spring bobber tip function that's hyped up. Now there's a whole methodology and functionality that ties into all of that, but it's all about using one's tools.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:39 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:54 pm
What I would personally like to see is a real development in a functional ice rod with baitcasting reels in mind.
Agreed, the only problem I have with using a baitcaster is when its super cold, I would think the line guide might get
iced up.

My 32" rods don't pulsate, but my st croix legend black 30" light with the spring does.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:02 am

Here is a casting model from fenwick.

https://www.purefishing.com/products/el ... 7550646405

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:54 pm

The Fenwick Elite tech ice casting model is only okay. The St. Croix Mojo Ice casting is like the best retail production model. They need to revamp one or more of those Croix Custom Ice rods as baitcasting versions, especially the Apex Predator model which is currently only a spinning version.

The market for a baitcasting ice rod is just simply not there yet.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 am

$200 for an ice fishing rod? Fair play.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:35 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 am
$200 for an ice fishing rod? Fair play.
Agreed, but for years I been saying, why is there no Gloomis ice rods and Megabass ice rods :big grin:

Well, I was so excited I took the plunge on the Gloomis, now if I could get Megabass to make some then
my ice rod collection would be done.

Megabass Ice Destroyer, that would be sick.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm

These feel amazing, cork is excellent, guides and wraps are perfect, action feels nice.
Will see how they fish hopefully soon.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 am

Sorry I didn't see this post until now. The high end ice rod market is pretty big in some places. We have a dealer in MN that has someone making solid carbon blanks for them. The rods sell for $200-400+ and they can't seem to build enough. We worked with dealers like this to develop the Ice rods.

Shimano also got into the ice rod market a couple of years ago. We are currently making lower to mid price point models. Maybe it will expand later.

I have never been ice fishing so my understanding is that you bore a hole in the ice under your shed with a heater and maybe satellite TV. Then you place your tiny rod in a rod holder and get hammered drunk watching football and wait for the bell to ring on your rod :lol: You can really splurge and get a flasher type fish finder to go along with your bell.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:46 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 am
Sorry I didn't see this post until now. The high end ice rod market is pretty big in some places. We have a dealer in MN that has someone making solid carbon blanks for them. The rods sell for $200-400+ and they can't seem to build enough. We worked with dealers like this to develop the Ice rods.

Shimano also got into the ice rod market a couple of years ago. We are currently making lower to mid price point models. Maybe it will expand later.

I have never been ice fishing so my understanding is that you bore a hole in the ice under your shed with a heater and maybe satellite TV. Then you place your tiny rod in a rod holder and get hammered drunk watching football and wait for the bell to ring on your rod :lol: You can really splurge and get a flasher type fish finder to go along with your bell.
Hey, the Packers games aren't gonna watch themselves now. :lol: 8-)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 am

Which dealer in MN? Must be hush hush very well kept secret...

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 am

I'm guessing a dealer with some Bros named Thorne ;) They have solid carbon blanks made for them to build. I have several Ice rods from them and they are extremely nice. Most of the stuff I've seen from them is in the 90-140$ range. Tuned up custom rods also assemble some nice Ice rods as well again in that same ballpark price range. Both will tailor handle material choices and lengths to suite the customer and offer guide choices as well.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:34 am

slime king wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 am
I'm guessing a dealer with some Bros named Thorne ;) They have solid carbon blanks made for them to build. I have several Ice rods from them and they are extremely nice. Most of the stuff I've seen from them is in the 90-140$ range. Tuned up custom rods also assemble some nice Ice rods as well again in that same ballpark price range. Both will tailor handle material choices and lengths to suite the customer and offer guide choices as well.
They were my first guess, but I didn't see anything on their website in the ballpark of what Bantam was talking about.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Love me some TUCR.

I have a TUCR Precision Noodle being built right now.

Here is my TUCR bullwhip I had made to match the CI4+ last year.