What to replace the Dobyns Xtrasy 755c with?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What to replace the Dobyns Xtrasy 755c with?

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:49 am

Hi all,

I have been rotating the 755c into my arsenal over the last couple of months and used it to throw 1/2-1oz jigs. Overall the rod is well balanced and looks nice.

Performance in my books is not where it should be though for a 500+ USD rod. While I can somewhat accept that the rod is fairly underpowered for a extra Heavy, Sensitivity is just mediocre in my hands. In the Tackletour review it kind of confirms that the rod shines more in deep-water applications. Which I rarely experience as a bankfisherman.

So, wondering what would make a good replacement for the rod, if I chose to replace it with something else.

Main application: 1/2-1oz Jigs (+ trailer).

Thanks all!

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What to replace the Dobyns Xtrasy 755c with?

Post by falcon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:09 pm

894 or 895 nrx
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:37 pm

I throw 1/2oz jigs on the FMJ and occasionally on the Xtasy 754. I throw 3/4 - 1oz jigs on a GLX 855, it's a sensitive broomstick. If the 5-rated NRX rods are similarly powerful, that might be a great option.

The Megabass Destroyer Bunker Buster might also fit the bill, it's their 7'7" heavy jig rod (and the FMJ is awesome).

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:26 pm

falcon wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:09 pm
894 or 895 nrx
Thanks for the feedback.

I would lean more towards the 894c. The 895 seems to be more of a dedicated flipping stick, which I have covered with my Steez AGS 7'9 XH.

Any advantage in moving 'up' to the 904 Conquest?

Thx.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:26 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:49 am
Hi all,

I have been rotating the 755c into my arsenal over the last couple of months and used it to throw 1/2-1oz jigs. Overall the rod is well balanced and looks nice.

Performance in my books is not where it should be though for a 500+ USD rod. While I can somewhat accept that the rod is fairly underpowered for a extra Heavy, Sensitivity is just mediocre in my hands. In the Tackletour review it kind of confirms that the rod shines more in deep-water applications. Which I rarely experience as a bankfisherman.

So, wondering what would make a good replacement for the rod, if I chose to replace it with something else.

Thanks all!

I’ve been thinking about jigs and wanted to ask you if you were using casting or flipping jigs? I was challenging myself to find a 1/2 casting jig rod and from all that I’ve read the Steez RAcing Design maybe what your looking for or maybe something from the Evergreen bench?
I’m still a huge fan of the H3 rod for jigs and I’ve been using X7 7’1” for pitching jigs of various weights. I’ve heard point blank rod blanks are superb to build a jig stick.
All that being said have you been in the JDM side of this never ending roller coaster?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:26 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks all!

I’ve been thinking about jigs and wanted to ask you if you were using casting or flipping jigs? I was challenging myself to find a 1/2 casting jig rod and from all that I’ve read the Steez RAcing Design maybe what your looking for or maybe something from the Evergreen bench?
I’m still a huge fan of the H3 rod for jigs and I’ve been using X7 7’1” for pitching jigs of various weights. I’ve heard point blank rod blanks are superb to build a jig stick.
All that being said have you been in the JDM side of this never ending roller coaster?
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I have briefly thought about the RD. But 700USD + for a rod that does not even have a useable warranty here in the US is a bit more than what I am willing to pay for a rod.

In contest right now:

NRX 894c (seems to be THE football jig rod) and if it is as sensitive as my 852c I would be happy.
Conquest 904c (seems to be a better all around rod but not quite as sensitive as the 894).

Wondering if I should wait for the new NRXs to come out. But I doubt that they will be more sensitive and probably will cost full retail for quite a while...

Any more detailed news when to expect them?

Thanks!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 pm
goldrod wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:26 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks all!

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I have briefly thought about the RD. But 700USD + for a rod that does not even have a useable warranty here in the US is a bit more than what I am willing to pay for a rod.

In contest right now:

NRX 894c (seems to be THE football jig rod) and if it is as sensitive as my 852c I would be happy.
Conquest 904c (seems to be a better all around rod but not quite as sensitive as the 894).

Wondering if I should wait for the new NRXs to come out. But I doubt that they will be more sensitive and probably will cost full retail for quite a while...

Any more detailed news when to expect them?

Thanks!
Warranty concerns are legitimate. I looked on TWHand there are 51 rod manufacturers on there but I only look at 5-6 of them. Maybe it’s time for diversity in my rod life. A lot of people speak highly on the K2 rod by Phenix
However I can’t comment from experience but to be honest and having an 894 nrx green. I’d roll the dice on the K2 if it was me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:53 pm

I totally forgot about the Daiwa bottom contact rod
It’s what you want. Sorry man it’s late and I’m tired had the look at my rod rack before getting into the shower. Moisturize Monday was a blast and today is Shea butter sooth-day. But if your casting 1/2 jigs get a bottom contact rod.
I’d be surprised if you were disappointed
Nite nite

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:04 am

I would look at the bottom contact also. It's really a special rod as far as being light and balanced and excellent sensitivity. I use it strictly for football jigs 1/4 to 1/2oz with trailers. You will not be disappointed.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks all,

really deciding now between the 894c and the Steez Bottom Contact.

For 1/2oz + trailer, which is the more sensitive rod? I would pair the rod with either a Steez A or the new Morethan.

Thanks all!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Got the 894c and the Steez Bottom Contact.

Fished them for two outings.

Here are some quick thoughts:

Looks: Steez looks better and has much better craftsmanship. It's a bit sad that a US made high end rod sits so far behind a Chinese made one. Well, what is truly high quality that is made in thick country that is not software...

I HATE the Steez's hook keeper placement. I have my rods stuck into my backpack when I walk around, the hook keeper makes it really tedious to get the rod in and out from the backpack. Why Daiwa, why?

Handling: out of the box it is the Steez. The NRx is a bit more tip heavy than I would like. The Steez is perfectly balanced. The handle is a bit more comfortable on the Steez as well. The Eva on the Steez can be a bit slippery though. The fishing glove's leather hand side slips on the Eva. Especially when they are wet.

I added a grip wrap on the NRx and now I like it a lot. Will try a balance kit next and see how it behaves.

Performance:

Both handle lures from 3/8 to 3/4 oz ounces pretty well. The NRX has a faster taper and feels Abit more powerful than the Steez to me.

Sensitivity:

Both are very sensitive. I think the NRX might still be a hair more sensitive. But this is really splitting hair. The NRX has more of a slight vibrating feel, while the Steez is a bit more solid. This allows the NRX to pick up some contact a bit more in my short experience.

Warranty: I hope I will not have to use it for either but the NRX with it's replacement warranty is better.

Usage:

Have not completely figured it out yet. Had the Steez equipped with a Steez A and 20 pound sniper FC while the NRX was with a 2019 daiwa morethan and 16 pound sniper FC.

I might actually reverse this, since the NRX seems to be slightly more powerful and I will use the NRX for heavier duty stuff and lighter flipping techniques.

Which to choose if you only could do one:
Hm, that is a very good question. If one needs a good all around bottom contact rod for 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs and warranty is not that important since you fish most of the time from the boat, I would probably go for the Steez. For Bank fisherman that fish heavier jigs, I would go for the NRX.

Got both for more than 25% off. Fair deal I would say.

Let me know if you have Q.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Could you share where you got the Steez for more than 25% off? I've been looking at this rod since initial reviews from members on this board and it has really peaked my interest.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm

godshippy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Could you share where you got the Steez for more than 25% off? I've been looking at this rod since initial reviews from members on this board and it has really peaked my interest.
Send me a PM with your email. Will put you in contact.