Re: Need a rod for a new-2-me reel. Budget increased.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need a rod for a new-2-me reel.

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:05 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 am
Are the Orochi xx rods any good? I only have a 1st gen and an xXx and they are great.
I only have one, the F3.5 70XXS Shakyhead, and I think that one is great. Superior build quality, very sensitive (not top tier sensitivity, but very good), and surprisingly versatile. Main reason I went to a Destroyer for jigging was length - I wanted a shorter rod and the FMJ is 7'1" vs the Braillist's 7'5" - otherwise I would have gotten that as my 2nd Orochi XX and expected no regrets.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm
It'd be easier if your budget were higher ;)
Jeez. I should have expected it. After reading all posts and some waffling on my part I have decided to up my budget to the $350 area. Instead of getting a very good rod, I might as well get a great rod. :D I would prefer an all around rod which is why I liked your suggestion of the KLX 7' Medium. Today is the last day to get 20% off any Kistler rod.

However, I am really liking the idea of an Adrena or the Reinforcer you mentioned. My research with the increased budget has lead me to look at such rods as the:

Witch Doctor Shaman 7'3" Med Lt Fast - 3/16-5/8 oz.
Kistler Helium 7' MF - 1/8-1/2 oz.
Ark Reinforcer 7'1" MXF - 1/16- 1/2 oz.
Phenix Ultra MBX 7' or 7'7" MLF - 1/4-5/8 oz.

Only thing I know about the Phenix is that many say it is a great blank.

I look forward to your (and others) recommendations at this budget level. Must admit that I am getting pretty excited. \:D/

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:39 am

Based on the stated versatility you'd like this new combo to have, I'd say it's a coin flip between the Helium and Reinforcer.

If you intend to fish more horizontal presentations, I'd go Helium. If vertical, the Reinforcer. This based on the tapers of each stick.... Reinforcer is Xtra-Fast.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 am
I look forward to your (and others) recommendations at this budget level. Must admit that I am getting pretty excited. \:D/
Get an Adrena, you won't regret it.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am

I would go after a MB Destroyer USA over the adrena or the Kistler. Check out Gary @ Tackle Trap or Summerland outdoors and get one you never will never want to upgrade. 110 special is a great stick.
Philippians 4:6

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm sure the Oneten is a great rod, but would increase my budget by another $50...about $120-$130 more than my original. Absolutely love the idea of the 6'11" Medium + Adrena, but feel it and the Oneten would require a spool change as I don't consider about 65 yards of 12# line quite enough. I do have a couple extra spools that will fit the Steez, but then what would be a good reel to take advantage of the I'ze SV105 spool?

And would putting the I'ze SV105 spool in another reel require me getting another $350 rod? :lol:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:21 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
However, I am really liking the idea of an Adrena or the Reinforcer you mentioned. My research with the increased budget has lead me to look at such rods as the:

Don't have that particular Phenix. I do have the K2 7'1" MLF, and have handled their new M1 a bit. Quality-wise, they're great, and the K2 blank is outstanding. If you've heard great things about that MBX blank I'd strongly consider the rod, with one big word of caution: Phenix rods typically fish lighter than other brands, and a ML is not going to be as universal as you might think. It's somewhere between a L and ML. I love that K2 MLF, and I've cast up to 1/2oz baits on it. But I consider it to be a true finesse rod. Dropshot, shaky head, spybait, 2 inch Dark Sleepers etc.: Awesome! But it won't be as universal as a Medium, I wouldn't throw any swimbaits, underspins, finesse jigs or swimjigs on it (unless they're super finesse, of course). If you're looking for a universal Phenix rod, target a MH.

The Kistler might be great or not - I've read posts saying that the NFC blanks below the Xray are good, but not great (the Xray blank is outstanding). And with Kistler, don't expect a rod that looks like anything fancy, it's a very barebones construction and won't look like a $300+ rod. If forced to choose between the KLX and Reinforcer, I'd lean towards the Reinforcer. (Keep in mind that this is only based on reading the Reinforcer review and owning an Zbone for an opinion on the build quality.)
Last edited by Drakestar on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:12 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:21 pm
Don't have that particular Phenix. I do have the K2 ...
See what happens when you show a willingness to increase your budget? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 pm

If you're at all considering a Megabass US Destroyer, I'd highly recommend making your purchase sooner rather than later. The Oneten is a great rod, highly versatile, shorter handle, and just a lot of fun to fish. Best of luck with your search regardless!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm

:lol:
Cal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:12 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Don't have that particular Phenix. I do have the K2 ...
See what happens when you show a willingness to increase your budget? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Drakestar wrote:
new2BC4bass wrote:

Don't have that particular Phenix. I do have the K2 7'1" MLF, and have handled their new M1 a bit. Quality-wise, they're great, and the K2 blank is outstanding. If you've heard great things about that MBX blank I'd strongly consider the rod, with one big word of caution: Phenix rods typically fish lighter than other brands, and a ML is not going to be as universal as you might think. It's somewhere between a L and ML. I love that K2 MLF, and I've cast up to 1/2oz baits on it. But I consider it to be a true finesse rod. Dropshot, shaky head, spybait, 2 inch Dark Sleepers etc.: Awesome! But it won't be as universal as a Medium, I wouldn't throw any swimbaits, underspins, finesse jigs or swimjigs on it (unless they're super finesse, of course). If you're looking for a universal Phenix rod, target a MH.

The Kistler might be great or not - I've read posts saying that the NFC blanks below the Xray are good, but not great (the Xray blank is outstanding). And with Kistler, don't expect a rod that looks like anything fancy, it's a very barebones construction and won't look like a $300+ rod. If forced to choose between the KLX and Reinforcer, I'd lean towards the Reinforcer. (Keep in mind that this is only based on reading the Reinforcer review and owning an Zbone for an opinion on the build quality.)
As Drakestar said, Phenix rods tend to run lighter. I have the UMBX 7’ MH and it fishes between a M and MH. I also hav ether K2’s and they seem to fish even lighter. I have a 715, a 765, and a 764.

I am also eyeballing that OneTen. 😬

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:07 am

I have the Phenix UMBX 700L casting and it honestly fishes between a L and ML. Its a damn good shallow crank rod for me and also double for shaky head fishing. Absolutely love this rod.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Found what I consider a good deal on a used rod so I went with the Helium 3 7' M-XF. Price was even better if you bought two. So just for giggles I got the 7'3" Light MHF as well. :lol: Two used for the price of one new. \:D/

And I still haven't broken the $200 price point for a rod. :big grin:

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 am

The most versatile rod I own is a Megabass F4-610K Black Elseil II Orochi XXX. Love this rod. I will throw just about anything with this rod. I have a Steez on it to. You can find it for under $300.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:20 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm
Found what I consider a good deal on a used rod so I went with the Helium 3 7' M-XF. Price was even better if you bought two. So just for giggles I got the 7'3" Light MHF as well. :lol: Two used for the price of one new. \:D/

And I still haven't broken the $200 price point for a rod. :big grin:
Congrats! Post some impressions after you've fished them for a while!