Worth the wait ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Worth the wait ?

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 pm

NRX 873 casting has a long lead time despite the dates on line.
for those who own the rod, is it worth the wait are do you feel that there are others which perform at or better
in that price range.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Worth the wait ?

Post by bigfruits » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 am

is this a new version? do you have a link?

i loved but sold (traded?) the NRX 873C CRR i bought years ago. let me know if you are referring to that one. fantastic 1/2oz plus plastic rod IMO.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:13 am

bigfruits wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 am
is this a new version? do you have a link?

i loved but sold (traded?) the NRX 873C CRR i bought years ago. let me know if you are referring to that one. fantastic 1/2oz plus plastic rod IMO.
Not new but current
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am

id agree with most reviews of this rod that it is not a typical Loomis 3 power. i used it mostly for t-rig and dragging jigs. not very fast and tip is not too soft. like i mentioned above, i think 1/2oz plus plastic is the sweet spot.

it is a bit tip heavy but not as much as the 874 if you are familiar with that rod. that and the reel seat (personal preference) are the only reasons i do not have it any longer.

i replaced it with the FMJ. the FMJ is not quite as sensitive maybe but balances better and is more comfortable to me (all fingers north of the trigger) and i prefer it over the 873 for the presentations above.