Confirmed new Nrx coming out !!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Confirmed new Nrx coming out !!

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:20 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 am
Now that I think about it and look at all their product lines I think they are doing it on purpose. No one could be that incompetent repeatedly. There must be a market for rods that look 25 years old. Maybe they are more like the Harley-Davidson of fishing rods.
They sure sell well despite your opinion
I know. I'm curious as to how they do in sales based on age demographic compared to other rod companies. I wonder if they are like Harley and have an older demographic as their primary buyers? Do they risk going belly up once the baby boomers are no longer buying rods or do they appeal to a wide enough age group that they can survive if not thrive? I guess time will tell.
I don’t know the ages of many on here, but seems like it’s pretty well spread out through the group. I think they have stayed with a more traditional look that appeals to everyone, and they have been around long enough that if they needed to change, they would. There’s always gonna be some that don’t like something, but overall I don’t think I’ve ever heard any negativity other than the blue wraps, and a few don’t like the reel seat. As far as actions go, it’s hard to beat a Loomis for a perfect “American” taper. I’m just glad I get to support an American rod company, instead of something made in China.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:20 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 am
Now that I think about it and look at all their product lines I think they are doing it on purpose. No one could be that incompetent repeatedly. There must be a market for rods that look 25 years old. Maybe they are more like the Harley-Davidson of fishing rods.
They sure sell well despite your opinion
I know. I'm curious as to how they do in sales based on age demographic compared to other rod companies. I wonder if they are like Harley and have an older demographic as their primary buyers? Do they risk going belly up once the baby boomers are no longer buying rods or do they appeal to a wide enough age group that they can survive if not thrive? I guess time will tell.
I don’t know the ages of many on here, but seems like it’s pretty well spread out through the group. I think they have stayed with a more traditional look that appeals to everyone, and they have been around long enough that if they needed to change, they would. There’s always gonna be some that don’t like something, but overall I don’t think I’ve ever heard any negativity other than the blue wraps, and a few don’t like the reel seat. As far as actions go, it’s hard to beat a Loomis for a perfect “American” taper. I’m just glad I get to support an American rod company, instead of something made in China.
That is good point. I would assume the new NRX will also have a traditional appearance. I wonder if they will move in a different direction color wise considering how similar the Conquest rod appears visually to the current NRX?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:42 am
One thing that I do like about nrx is the style. I have Valkyrie rods with a skull on the butt cap, poison adrena, xtreme, and all the crazy new style rods and honestly. I prefer the simplistic look and I'm in my 30's 8-)
I feel more or less the same way, but also love more "fancy" looking rods. I think the current GLX and the gen1 Orochi XX rods are about perfect in terms of "classic good looks". I also have a hard time getting excited about split grip rods in general and think, for example, the new P5 Destroyers look really really dumb from the grip down, that little marshmallow looking butt end looks absurd and detracts from the general look to a huge degree.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:15 am

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Thunderblack1984 wrote:
One thing that I do like about nrx is the style. I have Valkyrie rods with a skull on the butt cap, poison adrena, xtreme, and all the crazy new style rods and honestly. I prefer the simplistic look and I'm in my 30's 8-)
I feel more or less the same way, but also love more "fancy" looking rods. I think the current GLX and the gen1 Orochi XX rods are about perfect in terms of "classic good looks". I also have a hard time getting excited about split grip rods in general and think, for example, the new P5 Destroyers look really really dumb from the grip down, that little marshmallow looking butt end looks absurd and detracts from the general look to a huge degree.
I thought I was the only one who had an issue with the rear/butt grip on the P5's. I don't see how it would be comfortable with 2 hand casts where you need the rear grip.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:15 am
Houndfish wrote:
Thunderblack1984 wrote:
I thought I was the only one who had an issue with the rear/butt grip on the P5's. I don't see how it would be comfortable with 2 hand casts where you need the rear grip.
I did not notice until you guys mentioned it. I prefer a little MORE BUTT!

Not excited about new nrx. I never had the urge to buy the old model and probably will never have the urge to buy new model. Handled the blues at fishing expo only, never fished one. They felt just ok in my hand. Maybe if I fished one I would change my mind.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new NRX. I asked Ben from The Hookup Tackle about them and he said only new rods will be in the salmon lineup. The bass rods will be staying the same.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:48 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new NRX. I asked Ben from The Hookup Tackle about them and he said only new rods will be in the salmon lineup. The bass rods will be staying the same.
I know a guy fishing prototypes of the NRX bass series. I’m sure you’ve heard of him. I have no horse in the Loomis game anymore and for the first time in over 20 years do not own one but simply posting what I know.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:52 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:48 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm
I know a guy fishing prototypes of the NRX bass series. I’m sure you’ve heard of him. I have no horse in the Loomis game anymore and for the first time in over 20 years do not own one but simply posting what I know.
Interesting. Maybe they are slated to come out in 2021 then?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Houndfish wrote:
I think the current GLX and the gen1 Orochi XX rods are about perfect in terms of "classic good looks".
Agreed, on both but the GLX is definitely classic especially the 842c MBR full grip, that is one of my all time favorite rods.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 pm
Houndfish wrote:
I think the current GLX and the gen1 Orochi XX rods are about perfect in terms of "classic good looks".
Agreed, on both but the GLX is definitely classic especially the 842c MBR full grip, that is one of my all time favorite rods.
I absolutely love my NRX rods but the GLX handles and reel seats are way more comfortable in my hands...

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 am

I’m in my mid 30’s and prefer subtle looks to my rods. I didn’t hate the look of my NRX’s but they were pretty loud for my taste.

I have a love/hate relationship with RECoils coming from the salmon/steelhead side of the pond. They are super light and sensitive, but they increase line friction on casts (and drifting bobbers). My major beef was their durability in cold weather, I’ve grooved MANY guides on steelhead rods here in MI. Talking well below freezing, ice in the guides all day, they aren’t up to the task. They are great in terms of ice-up though, slower to ice up and easier to remove ice... love/hate all the way. I’ve seen they came out with ice rod rated RECoils, but they don’t offer all the sizes I need, smh...

So I’m a fan of full Torzites now. I’ve abandoned REC’s on my recent custom builds and will likely continue to do so.

As far as handles, I never appreciated the thin diameter cork on the NRX’s I owned (was 8 or 9 models), but could live with it. For the price, I think full cork and better cork (AAAA, at least, should be Flor for the price...), I would have appreciated more. The spinning reel seats were GARBAGE and compressed the fore-cork in front of the hood, tightened at only moderate pressure, which kept me checking the screw tension constantly on the reel seat. I also despised the hook keeper placement on those rods. My trigger finger always rests on the friggen hook keeper in Loomis spinning rods, NRX included. Blows my mind they don’t move it up the blank a couple inches.

They fix all that crap, and wrap those rods like they are $600+ rods (ie, not like bargain specials- I know, I know, good help is hard to find!), they’ll gain an even bigger cult following than the current generation. Best blanks I ever fished. I sold all of mine for a net profit, as they just weren’t the whole package for that kind of money.

Hopefully the new ones are.

And if they come with carbon handles, I’m cool with it, just no loud and proud BS. I go fishing to catch fish, not show off. Showing off attracts other “anglers,” and that significantly degrades my enjoyment on the water.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:19 pm

I don't understand this mentality. Do you not like the look and feel of a high end trim vehicle and will instead pay the same amount of more or order one that has a custom spec base model appearance? "I'll take the top trim truck but please make the outside look like a base fleet vehicle, thanks". I do not understand the appeal. Why would people want ugly and boring looking things are purpose?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:19 pm
I don't understand this mentality. Do you not like the look and feel of a high end trim vehicle and will instead pay the same amount of more or order one that has a custom spec base model appearance? "I'll take the top trim truck but please make the outside look like a base fleet vehicle, thanks". I do not understand the appeal. Why would people want ugly and boring looking things are purpose?
Classic is not boring IMO, like a 55 chevy truck painted red.

But I don't think the NRX is boring.....

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:24 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 pm
LowRange wrote:
Classic is not boring IMO, like a 55 chevy truck painted red.

But I don't think the NRX is boring.....
that's a good point but I never thought of them as classic in appearance. More like a 1999 F150. Dated but not so old looking that they are cool looking like a purposely classic looking rod like a Megabass Pagani.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
I want performance for my $$ above all else. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, but second on my list.