2-Power High End Casting Rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

2-Power High End Casting Rods?

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:49 am

I’m looking into buying a high end 2-power casting rod for shaky heads, Ned rigs etc. The only rods in this category that I’m aware of are the NRX 852C and the Conquest 842MBR. Does anybody know of any non-Loomis alternatives? Not trying to avoid the company, just making sure I’m considering all options.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2-Power High End Casting Rods?

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:03 am

Probably tough to compare since the likelihood of checking it out in person is not very high, but there's a 7'1" medium powered rod in Ark Rods's Reinforcer that would likely make an excellent choice for your needs. The blanks are very sensitive in this series, but the guides are "eh" ... they work, and I haven't had any issues with the guides, but they're just not super high end guides is all. They're all metal and likely contributing to the sensitivity to the overall build.

Phenix offers a 7'1" Medium Light in their K2 series that might suit... very high end with Torzite guides and all.

That's off the top of my head... maybe Kistler, St. Croix, & Megabass, but I'd have to revisit their lineups and look at the specs. I've actually fished the two rods mentioned.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:03 am
Probably tough to compare since the likelihood of checking it out in person is not very high, but there's a 7'1" medium powered rod in Ark Rods's Reinforcer that would likely make an excellent choice for your needs. The blanks are very sensitive in this series, but the guides are "eh" ... they work, and I haven't had any issues with the guides, but they're just not super high end guides is all. They're all metal and likely contributing to the sensitivity to the overall build.

Phenix offers a 7'1" Medium Light in their K2 series that might suit... very high end with Torzite guides and all.

That's off the top of my head... maybe Kistler, St. Croix, & Megabass, but I'd have to revisit their lineups and look at the specs. I've actually fished the two rods mentioned.
Thanks for the leads! The specs for the Reinforcer make me believe like it might overlap a bit too much with my GLX 843MBR.

The Phenix looks like an interesting option. Reading http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixjx713ck2.html, the applications you identified as well-suited for this stick is what I'm looking for (bascially a finesse baitbaster for DS, Ned, tubes and finesse jigs/small Dark Sleepers). Is the Torray K2 blank different from the Nano blank used on the Xtasy series or are they very similar/identical? (I'd probably buy an Xtasy 722 if Dobyns offered a casting model, but unfortunately they don't.)

I checked Kistler and they don't seem to have any C models lower than 3-power. Same seems to be true for the Destroyer - the Flyessa, Addermire and Brigand (F2.5-F4 models) are all spinning rods. The St. Croix Legend Xtreme only starts at a Medium, in their casting rods, as well.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:44 am

Yeah, i thought of Dobyns too and saw they're not making a 2 power. Surprises me a little... same goes for Megabass and Kistler when I checked after my initial response.

Only Dobyns and Phenix know if they're using the same material/blanks for their rods, though I highly doubt it. Usually manufacturers, even if they are sourcing from the same factories for materials, have their own taper designs.

Here's a chart on the Reinforcer RFC71MXC comparing it to the MBR843C GLX in our deflection tests... If you don't mind the guides, I think it'd be worth a try just for something different:
chrt_arkrodsreinforcerrfc71mxc.jpg
chrt_arkrodsreinforcerrfc71mxc.jpg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 8549 times
Cal, Managing Editor

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:34 pm

In recent months Trey had 2 power casting model Z Bones listed. They are just out of stock after the recent sales. I ordered a Z Bone on Friday that doesn’t appear on the site either. A “1” spin. Just a FYI. I would add that the “2” Z Bone is superb for intended purposes. I have a couple of “2” spins.

Happy shopping sir.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:41 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:34 pm
In recent months Trey had 2 power casting model Z Bones listed. They are just out of stock after the recent sales. I ordered a Z Bone on Friday that doesn’t appear on the site either. A “1” spin. Just a FYI. I would add that the “2” Z Bone is superb for intended purposes. I have a couple of “2” spins.

Happy shopping sir.
Definitely... if you can get a 2 power Zbone - especially if offered in the X-Ray blank - that should go at or near the top of your list of considerations.
Cal, Managing Editor

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:41 pm
TravisNY wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:34 pm

Happy shopping sir.
Definitely... if you can get a 2 power Zbone - especially if offered in the X-Ray blank - that should go at or near the top of your list of considerations.
Sir your review went a long way to me now owning six of them since March. Thank you. Kinda :lol:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:09 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Sir your review went a long way to me now owning six of them since March. Thank you. Kinda :lol:
You’re welcome though I hear it’s a common malady from reading our write ups 🤷‍♂️ ... 😂😂
Cal, Managing Editor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks, I'll check when Kistler has 2-power Xray blanks back. That'll definitely be on my list as well then.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Message from Trey on the 2-power xray blank.
I wish I could tell you but for now, they are discontinued. You might consider the Helium 2M power as it is very similar in feel and performance. I appreciate your support.
I guess I'll have to consider an alternative after all :( Just saw that the new NRX line is definitely real, might wait to see what's happening on that front.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:07 pm

I’ve got an Edge 662-1, I really like but I don’t see it on the Edge website any more. It’s perfect for 1/4 and 3/16 spinnerbaits.

EDIT: it’s there, under inshore/walleye. And they have another one in the Silver widow line

https://edgerods.com/isr

https://edgerods.com/silverwidow

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:28 pm

The all new St. Croix Legend Xtreme AGS 7ft M Fast.

I have one its an awesome rod and is weightless when paired with a Steez SV TW

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:10 pm

Sounds like it's time to go custom :big grin:
The ml K2s are fantastic blanks. They range around 300 grams of power and slightly less with the 6'8 model. I can't imagine the Dobyns blank being as satisfying as the K2. I use my custom K2 683ml for most of the techniques you listed. It fishes slightly lighter than listed top end specs - common for Phenix. With the appropriate reel, it will load and cast 1/16 oz plus small trailer, and tops out at roughly 7/16 oz total weight.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for the additional input on the K2. That's the rod (or blank) I'm leaning towards, pending a bit more information on the new NRX.

@Hogsticker2 and @Cal, I'm wondering if this review from TW rings true with you. (Note for the uninitiated: the rod we've been discussing is the 713, so this review talks about the rod that's 1 power heavier - Phenix' power ratings took me a moment to get used to, especially because their 713 is called a ML but the 714 is called a MH).
I have the 714 and I think the closest thing I can compare to would be the NRX 853 but a little lighter action (think 852.5). I have really enjoyed fishing the K2 over the past 2 years as it is crazy light and equal if not more sensitive than the NRX. The build quality for a production rod is second to none. One thing I notice is the rod fees lighter because the grip seems to be shaved down and significantly smaller than average. For a rod based on being light, this is a great feature and makes the rod balance well with an Aldebaran. For light (1/4 or so) bottom contact baits, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better stick. Insanely light and top level sensitivity! Drawbacks... I worry about durability (no experience to base this on, just because it is so light) and the action is a little softer than the NRX line (some may argue this makes it more versatile, but I focus on using this for bottom contact/feel baits). Bottom line: I would and will get another.
Does the 713 fish lighter than a typical 2-power ML stick? I have three of those (all spinning): NRX 822 DSR, Orochi Shakyhead (it's a F3.5, feels like a slighter heavier 2-power to me) and an Expride 6'10" ML. Is the K2 713 lighter? Conversely, does the 714 feel like a 2.5 NRX or GLX power? Because I wouldn't mind *that* - heavier than my dedicated finesse spinning rods, but capable of throwing a slightly heavier DS (let's say 10lbs leader and 3/16 or 1/4oz weight).

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:15 pm

I couldn't read that "review" because the author is mixing Power and Action (taper) ;)

Yes, Phenix almost always fishes lighter in power than their ratings. The K2 713 casting rod I fished (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixjx713ck2.html) felt more moderate than a G.Loomis "Fast" which will make it feel softer in power.
Cal, Managing Editor