Zolo Toadface?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zolo Toadface?

Post by CGrinder » Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm

russ57 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am
CGrinder wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm
Finally got a little time with the BMJ. Too cold for a frog but swam a jig and hopped a Texan around. Nice soft tip with some good backbone. Sensitivity is good, seems to be better than my Expride. I think I will like it for frogs; definitely going to try it soon as water warms up. If not frogs, definitely a chatterbait, swim jig, and or lipless rod.
Which Expride?
72 H. I need to do a side by side but the Enox was giving pretty nice feedback with a 3/16 oz Texan in grass on soft ish bottom.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm
russ57 wrote:
CGrinder wrote:
Finally got a little time with the BMJ. Too cold for a frog but swam a jig and hopped a Texan around. Nice soft tip with some good backbone. Sensitivity is good, seems to be better than my Expride. I think I will like it for frogs; definitely going to try it soon as water warms up. If not frogs, definitely a chatterbait, swim jig, and or lipless rod.
Which Expride?
72 H. I need to do a side by side but the Enox was giving pretty nice feedback with a 3/16 oz Texan in grass on soft ish bottom.
Interesting, as that is the other rod I was considering getting(outside of Toadface and BMJ). So does the BMJ have a lighter tip more capable of casting lighter weights?

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri May 15, 2020 7:59 pm

russ57 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm
CGrinder wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm
russ57 wrote:
CGrinder wrote:
Which Expride?
Interesting, as that is the other rod I was considering getting(outside of Toadface and BMJ). So does the BMJ have a lighter tip more capable of casting lighter weights?
Initial impression is yes, the BMJ seems like it has a pretty nice tip. I had no issues working a light Texan, and I don't believe I would fish the same bait on the Expride.

I really do need to get both rods out with similar line. I could be off based on just a little time with the rod, but the BMJ strikes me as a single hook moving bait rod that is crisp and versatile enough to pitch and do some bottom contact.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 am
I first seen the new enox at the Richmond VA fishing show and was very impressed. My good friend wanted the best chatterbait rod and took my advice and bought the bmj. Its really a nice build. He, my brother and I (all high end gear junkies) are all very impressed by the looks and how it fished. I am a fan of the zolos also. I just hate the exposed threads with the nut tightened. I had a deputy and dream and regret trading them
I asked Alex about this a few months back concerning the threads. To me it can be uncomfortable and just gives a rod a very unfinished look. Anyways he said that they started to shorten the threads.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am

falcon wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 am
bronzebacks wrote:
I first seen the new enox at the Richmond VA fishing show and was very impressed. My good friend wanted the best chatterbait rod and took my advice and bought the bmj. Its really a nice build. He, my brother and I (all high end gear junkies) are all very impressed by the looks and how it fished. I am a fan of the zolos also. I just hate the exposed threads with the nut tightened. I had a deputy and dream and regret trading them
I asked Alex about this a few months back concerning the threads. To me it can be uncomfortable and just gives a rod a very unfinished look. Anyways he said that they started to shorten the threads.
I had a small foregrip added to the locking nut for this reason. Just looked cleaner

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 am

tywithay wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am
falcon wrote:
bronzebacks wrote:
I had a small foregrip added to the locking nut for this reason. Just looked cleaner
Post a pic?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 am
tywithay wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am
falcon wrote:
bronzebacks wrote:
Post a pic?
Red one is a deputy, other is a Dragger
Attachments
FB_IMG_1590954854494.jpg
FB_IMG_1590954854494.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 6358 times

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:02 pm

Is that from ALX custom shop or did you add it yourself?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 31, 2020 5:36 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:02 pm
Is that from ALX custom shop or did you add it yourself?
ALX custom shop. It cost about the same as a production rod, so I figured it was worth it.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 am

I wanted to add on now that I've finally had more time with the BMJ. I am planning on a more detailed write up in the near future, but for now: it's a mean frog rod and an excellent pitching rod. This rod might be your Search for One winner in the price range and possibly above it. It's a very impressive rod.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 am

CGrinder wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 am
I wanted to add on now that I've finally had more time with the BMJ. I am planning on a more detailed write up in the near future, but for now: it's a mean frog rod and an excellent pitching rod. This rod might be your Search for One winner in the price range and possibly above it. It's a very impressive rod.
Sounds great. I was considering doing a custom toadface but now am thinking I should just spend the extra 50-60 bucks to get the more sensitive BMJ

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:02 am

russ57 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 am
CGrinder wrote:
Sounds great. I was considering doing a custom toadface but now am thinking I should just spend the extra 50-60 bucks to get the more sensitive BMJ
Thanks for the post CGrinder... the ENOX series are really nice rods and well worth the jump over the ZOLO series in my opinion. That BMJ is a great rod and really incredibly versatile.

russ57 - the Toadface is nice for sure, but if sensitivity is important to you, absolutely go with the ENOX line.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:19 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:02 am
russ57 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 am
CGrinder wrote:
Thanks for the post CGrinder... the ENOX series are really nice rods and well worth the jump over the ZOLO series in my opinion. That BMJ is a great rod and really incredibly versatile.

russ57 - the Toadface is nice for sure, but if sensitivity is important to you, absolutely go with the ENOX line.
Makes sense. It's like with cars, better to get a higher model than a base model with options, if that analogy makes senses.

Traybird
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Traybird » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 am

Toadface is an excellent rod for frogs and doubles real nice as a trap rod in early spring!!! its also good for C-rigs very versatile rod! Alex also has great customer service!